OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

I am wondering the same myself. Just got the 4090 installed and am finally able to crank up some settings and eye candy. The Open-XR brightness and saturation don't seem to really do much for me. Thinking of trying 3dMigoto again now that my GPU has a bit of headroom.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Hello!  I can`t use OpenXR in DCS, despite it works perfectly fine in Microsoft FS 2020... but doesn`t show the menu in DCS nor is active the scaling. Im using quest2... any advice?  Its like if OpenXR could not recognize DCS launch.  I don`t know where to start to solve this...

Im using windows 11, ryzen 7  3700x, 32gb ram, Nvidia rtx3080TI ..I  don`t use steam vr, just Oculus tray tool.-

Edited by Cid82

Hi, could someone tell if/how I can use FPSVR in OpenXR? I'm assuming (!) that it requires SteamVR to run, if not - then I don't see how to switch it on!

I've swapped to OpenXR and subjectively I think it's a nice improvement but I would like to be able to tune settings like I did with SteamVR/FPSVR.

thanks!

Specs if it matters:
9700K/32Gb 3200/3080 10Gb/Reverb G2

Still running W10 for now.

you can't, however, there is a way to log frame times with version 1.2 of the OpenXR toolkit.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, Eisprinzessin said:

A maybe stupid question:

Im thinking about switching from my G2 to the Primax8kx. Does this OpenXR thingy works there as well?

Not stupid at all!  From first-hand experience, I can attest that OpenXR works with the Pimax.

Like all things in the hobby of ours, there's a lot of nuance to that answer however.  I tried it and the experience was less than desired.  I don't remember the specifics, but my FPS dropped by something like 50% when compared to the SteamVR experience.  I probably could have spent countless unproductive hours trying to diagnose the issues, but chose to switch back to SteamVR and fly.

If you need any nudge towards the Pimax, I can definitely attest to the experience. 

I've had my headset for a couple of months, and wouldn't give it up without an altercation.  🤜🤛

Edited by Mistermann
format

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Ok, I could use it just fine before using the past in the bin folder, so I followed the steps, even using Skatezilla.  But when I try to run DCS, I get this error 

Unknown config option mirrorMode on line 2  

Anyone have any suggestions?

If I switch it back to SteamVR in the Open Composite it works

Edited by Fogey

3 hours ago, Mistermann said:

Not stupid at all!  From first-hand experience, I can attest that OpenXR works with the Pimax.

Like all things in the hobby of ours, there's a lot of nuance to that answer however.  I tried it and the experience was less than desired.  I don't remember the specifics, but my FPS dropped by something like 50% when compared to the SteamVR experience.  I probably could have spent countless unproductive hours trying to diagnose the issues, but chose to switch back to SteamVR and fly.

If you need any nudge towards the Pimax, I can definitely attest to the experience. 

I've had my headset for a couple of months, and wouldn't give it up without an altercation.  🤜🤛

I just bought the Pimax and trying to learn it as well, so far I can't say I am as impressed as what I thought I would be, but again I am still trying to figure it out.  I do love the wider FOV, I will say that.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fogey said:

I just bought the Pimax and trying to learn it as well, so far I can't say I am as impressed as what I thought I would be, but again I am still trying to figure it out.  I do love the wider FOV, I will say that.  

Here's the video that made it all come together for me.  Until I watched this, I was pretty darn frustrated.

• Like 3

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

Quick question, is there a way to run reprojection on auto instead of lock?

If I set it on Auto in the OpenXR for WMR tool it’s disabled regardless of what setting I use in the overlay.

if I set in on Enable it’s locked to 45 FPS. 

Thanks !

NB : many thanks for sharing this guide OpenXR is a game changer for me vs SteamVR

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

3 hours ago, noxyd said:

Quick question, is there a way to run reprojection on auto instead of lock?

If I set it on Auto in the OpenXR for WMR tool it’s disabled regardless of what setting I use in the overlay.

if I set in on Enable it’s locked to 45 FPS. 

Thanks !

NB : many thanks for sharing this guide OpenXR is a game changer for me vs SteamVR

Automatic in OpenXR Tools for WMR means "Always on in Flight Simulator 2020". It has no other meaning, and that explains why it means Disabled in DCS. 

Motion reprojection when set to Always on or Enabled in OpenXR Toolkit will automatically lock to the best frame rate you can achieve. Unless you can reach 90 FPS with headroom (meaning Motion Reprojection is not needed), it will select 45 FPS as long as you can do 45 FPS with headroom. If you can't do that, it will do 30. If you can't do that, it will do 22.5. If you can't do that, it will be disabled.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Thanks for clarifying!

I have to say that motion reprojection is working really well at 45 FPS for me (12600K @5.2Ghz + 3080 Ti). My experience vs SteamVR's reprojection is night and day, I use to have sudden spikes and frame drops that made the game unplayable from time to time, all of this is gone now. 
Not to mention the epileptic seizures with SteamVR each time you launch the game...

Do we know if an 'auto' motion reprojection option is being worked on for OpenXR (which would lock at 45FPS only if the system is limited and unlocked above this number?).

Since it's locked at 45FPS my GPU is underutilized (running at 70-80%), any recommendation of a setting i could crank up to optimize utilization and improve graphic quality ? MSAA x4 maybe ?

NB: I only play on multiplayer 

Thanks!

Edited by noxyd

Aorus Z690i, 13600K @5.5ghz, RTX4090, 32GB DDR4 3600 C16, SSD WD SN850 black, HP Reverb G2, Virpil WarBRD + MongoosT50 CM2 grip

3 hours ago, noxyd said:

Do we know if an 'auto' motion reprojection option is being worked on for OpenXR (which would lock at 45FPS only if the system is limited and unlocked above this number?).

This is already what it does, as I described in my message. If you are locked at 45 FPS, it means you don't have enough headroom to achieve 90 FPS.

Motion reprojection needs to run at a fraction of the headsets refresh rate. There is no slot between 90 FPS and 45 FPS (half).

Edited by mbucchia

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

I get what you’re saying but you could have motion repro disabled anywhere from 45 to 90FPS and enabled below that (which I believe steamVR does)

5 minutes ago, noxyd said:

I get what you’re saying but you could have motion repro disabled anywhere from 45 to 90FPS and enabled below that (which I believe steamVR does)

That's not how it works, reprojection will only disable once you are above refresh rate (plus overheads). Therefore using 90Hz refresh rate, anything more than 11ms and less than about 20ms will reproject to 45fps. Anything more than 20ms and less than about 30ms will reproject to 30fps.

Steam only had the capacity to reproject down to 45fps, anything less than this and it's disabled entirely and it becomes very janky.

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Just a heads up.

Was playing around with the different settings in the toolkit, changing the FPS lock. 22,5, 30, 45, unlocked etc.
I had problems keeping stable 30 FPS, it was always dipping below, or some sort of stutter. But at the same time I could go up to the next level, 45 and lock it there, and then
getting dips again below.

This is the interesting part. After looking at a video on youtube (posted below), I had a look at the simulation numbers he mentioned.
And I saw this would go up and down relative to my FPS lock. I guess this woud be normal as you are restricting the FPS output.

But, when I took away the locked mode, and set it to "unlocked", the stutter was reduced and I was locked in on 45 FPS. Not very noticable looking straight ahead, but looking to the sides inside the Apache, it was greatly improved.

I don't know why it did this, but locking the reprojection rate at 30 or45, always gave me 2-3 frames short. So pulling up the FPS counter in both the toolkit and ingame, showed 27 more often then 30, and 43 more often then 45.....

Running a AMD 5800X with a OC 6900XT.

• Thanks 1

Hello friends,

after a 1.5 year break due to a lack of hardware, I'm finally back.

Now with a used 10900k and a 3090ti I can fly again. OXR works so far 🙂 except... 

I have stuttering and some ghosting on fast objects, especially when looking to the side.  Straight out everything is perfect.

What can it be?

FPS are roughly in the range of 40-90.  Reprojection off or on does not make any significant differences. Resolution in OXRDT 90%. OXRTK not touched so far. Other specs: rog z490, 32gb RAM because 4 dimms are not running ;-(

Greetings from Bavaria

Edited by Ganesh

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

+ Vulkan & continuous work on multithread & VR optimization!

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

How have you turned reprojection on?

If you've set it to default then it will be off (that setting is intended for use with MSFS only currently), use always on in the openxr tools desktop app in you want to use reprojection. Better yet leave the desktop app alone and control everything from the in-game toolkit menus.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

MRP works an locks auto @45.

Main Problem is sideview stuttering. Straight forward all is perfect!

2nd prob. is ghosting on moving objects, but that's not so bad.

regards Ganesh

She: "Your orders from ED have reached a total amount of $871,88 and your hardware expenses are countless..."
Me: "I can´t invest my money much better until i wait for Germanys Next Top Model": The
Bo-105 PAH1A1

Asus Z490E - 10900k@5,3GHz - 64GB 3600 DDR4 - 4090FE - Reverb G2 - MFG Crosswinds +DamperMod - Selfmade TableMounts - Centered VirPil T-50 Base with 20cm Extension - TM Warthog & Hornet Grip - TM Throttle +SlewMod - Pimped MSFFB2 for Huey - JetSeat SE on a sawn out office Chair - PointCTRL

18 minutes ago, Ganesh said:

MRP works an locks auto @45.

Main Problem is sideview stuttering. Straight forward all is perfect!

2nd prob. is ghosting on moving objects, but that's not so bad.

No it doesn't, auto does not enable reprojection for DCS. What you're seeing is the 45hz vsync, it will be smooth facing forwards and for head rotations but not for translating objects (sliding sideways relative to one another).

Ok, thanks for the info, but i have jitter, stutter & ghosting even without MRP. I shouldn't have even mentioned MRP at all.

Main problem remains, no matter what I have tested so far, also in SVR but I wrote my request in this forums section because:

1. OXR seems to be better (steam bypass)

2. Here (thread) are the professionals at work 😉

Edited by Ganesh

regards Ganesh

Bo-105 PAH1A1