SEPECAT Jaguar for DCS World

SuliedRocket11

The Mirage F1 is a pretty similar aircraft, but with better capabilities A/A. And the future F1M with avionics updated to the 90's level was used mostly as an attack aircraft in Spain, with similar missions. 

Similar era for sure. They actually competed several times for export contracts, the Jag was consistently considered better for a/g (which is pretty logical). Also, the updated M model only came way later and never got any targeting pod while the Jag was carrying one in the '80s. It also carried the AS37 anti-radar missile for some cold-war era SEAD/Dead.

• 2 months later...
On 3/8/2023 at 12:52 PM, Alba57 said:

And the future F1M with avionics updated to the 90's level was used mostly as an attack aircraft in Spain, with similar missions. 

Yes but 1990s is already too late for Cold War scenarios what means it's being thrown together with 2000s F-16s, F-18s, with JDAMS, JSOWS etc. Aircrafts like Mirage F.1 or Jaguar shine in 1970s or at most 1980s enviroment.

• 2 weeks later...

From a dev perspective I'd assume it would be 'easier' to model and code if it was a GR1A as there wasn't and digital displays (other than the moving map) or RADAR so it's mostly steam driven instruments (excluding the HUD also). Instant buy for me.

• Like 3

Yeah, good luck getting any information on TIALD due to the classification issues you will get from the British MOD. A GR-1A or Jaguar A would probably be the best way forward... am I the only one who thinks the T-2 looks snazzy?

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

Considering that even the EEL ran into classification issues, the Jag is even less likely to be possible. And as geopolitical tensions worsen, this will be a bigger and bigger problem.

Probably would make sense for devs to start focus on very early jets instead.

• Like 1

I love the Jaaaag, I worked on it in the 80's and early 90's.  The problem we have here is that the balance of detailed aircraft is heavily slewed to the west, we really need some 80's and 90's Soviet era aircraft like the Mig 29 or the SU 27, I'd much rather devs concentrate on that.  The Jag was underpowered, had a limited weapons load and was basically a trainer which had been pimped to fill a gap... Just saying

• Like 1

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

4 hours ago, Fromthedeep said:

Considering that even the EEL ran into classification issues, the Jag is even less likely to be possible. And as geopolitical tensions worsen, this will be a bigger and bigger problem.

Probably would make sense for devs to start focus on very early jets instead.

Hello Fromthedeep, by EEL mentioned in your post am I correct in assuming that would be RAZBAM's Lightning?  What classification issues arose?  Apologies for my ignorance here.

Many thanks.

40 minutes ago, Tengah said:

Hello Fromthedeep, by EEL mentioned in your post am I correct in assuming that would be RAZBAM's Lightning?  What classification issues arose?  Apologies for my ignorance here.

It's not necessarily tied to any one development project, ever since I've been involved with the flight simming scene (over 15 years now) the MoD has always been extremely strict when it comes to data about even obsolete aircraft. The English Electric Lightning particularly had issues regarding the radar and even the flight performance.

11 minutes ago, Fromthedeep said:

It's not necessarily tied to any one development project, ever since I've been involved with the flight simming scene (over 15 years now) the MoD has always been extremely strict when it comes to data about even obsolete aircraft. The English Electric Lightning particularly had issues regarding the radar and even the flight performance.

The relevant manuals for the Lightning are no longer restricted, and haven't been for years.
The weapons and radar employment manual is also available for the Sea Harrier FRS 1, to anyone who is willing to pay for a couple of hours of a researchers time and visit the BAE archives in person. The flight manual has been scanned and is available online, so it's just a click away.
Note that I'm not talking about the FA2, which used the Blue Vixen radar - that radar was regarded as so sensitive by the MOD that everything related to it was tracked down and destroyed when the aircraft left service.

If a developer is saying that they can't produce either of these aircraft then they either haven't tried hard enough to get the information or are just making excuses.

Anyone who is asking for an early Jag might want to know that the first INS system fitted had one single button for waypoint numeric data entry. This was a genius idea that meant to input latitude and longitude numbers you pressed the button twice for a '2' and eight times for an '8' etc - just think about that for a moment 😆 - well played Marconi and Ferranti, you really excelled there...

• Like 1

---------------------------------------------------------

PC specs:- Intel 386DX, 2mb memory, onboard graphics, 14" 640x480 monitor

Modules owned:- Bachem Natter, Cessna 150, Project Pluto, Sopwith Snipe

34 minutes ago, Extranajero said:

The relevant manuals for the Lightning are no longer restricted, and haven't been for years.
The weapons and radar employment manual is also available for the Sea Harrier FRS 1, to anyone who is willing to pay for a couple of hours of a researchers time and visit the BAE archives in person. The flight manual has been scanned and is available online, so it's just a click away.
Note that I'm not talking about the FA2, which used the Blue Vixen radar - that radar was regarded as so sensitive by the MOD that everything related to it was tracked down and destroyed when the aircraft left service.

If a developer is saying that they can't produce either of these aircraft then they either haven't tried hard enough to get the information or are just making excuses.

Anyone who is asking for an early Jag might want to know that the first INS system fitted had one single button for waypoint numeric data entry. This was a genius idea that meant to input latitude and longitude numbers you pressed the button twice for a '2' and eight times for an '8' etc - just think about that for a moment 😆 - well played Marconi and Ferranti, you really excelled there...

Absolutely Extrajanero, exactly my thoughts regarding the Lightning, etc.  Regards to the early Jag INS, you are spot on Sir, I second your praise of Marconi and Ferranti.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

We wont be able to use it until the curvature of the Earth is modelled......😝

Edited by joey45
  • Like 3

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45