The stupidiest thing you're done in BS

RapidFir3

You have probably realised this, but in DCS: Black Shark, in multiplayer mode, one has the capability to recreate and practice the reality of what is currently going on in Iraq and Afghanistsn. One player is going to have be the FAC or JTAC on the ground. Maybe not such a fun role as flying a Ka-50, but nevertheless a rewarding exercise in getting rounds on target in a dangerous close situation.

JimMack (or anyone else who knows), could you do a quick write up of how to do this? I just got the Eng version and I'd be interested in playing this kind of role/scenario.

Is it as simple as a FAC/JTAC unit type in the mission editor?

Thanks.

yesterday - campaign1 -mission1 -tested my new trackir4. i took off and started to fly towards wp1. i had to abort the mission after the half way because my wife came home surprisingly.

i had to fly back to the farp because i had no time to complete the mission so i decided to land on the same farp where i started from to get a "landed" to my log.

after the 5th attempt to hit the ground i landed safely.

then i switched to "fly-by"-view (f3) to see how i stand on the helipad.

the camera was very far away and i wanted to zoom in.

i pressed "+" on the numpad - unfortunatly it is the button for "collective up"

i crashed :)

MB: Intel DX79TO; Core i7 3820 (3,6 ghz); SPU: Asus Xonar D2X; GPU: AMD XFX 7970 BE OC (3GB); RAM: Kingston 8 GB DDR3-1333 Quad-Kit; HHDs: G.Skill Phoenix SSD (for OS&DCS), WD 1 TB + WD 160GB; PSU: be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W; Display: EIZO Foris 2333-BK; OS: WIN8 Pro 64bit (latest updates); TM HOTAS Warthog; CH Rudder pedals; Cougar MFDs; iPad Mini with iControl DCS; TrackIR4 + TrackClipPro.

A10 startup procedure -->

• 1 year later...

Turned off NVG's while adjusting the Shkval and ABRIS at night and flew straight into a hill.

Lessons learned :

1) Adjust displays at night with NVG's on

2) At night, leave altitude alarm set at 100m, not the usual 20m I set it to in daytime

In my first flight, take off, made some crazy maneouvers, crash the helicopter, and get promoted :megalol:

• Like 1

Quick guide to configure ABRIS and LCD mini monitor

Quick Countermeasure Editor v1.3.0

Core i5 3570K 4.0Ghz | GIGABYTE MOTHERBOARD | Crucial M4 120GB | 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ | ASUS GTX 670 | AOC LED 23" | AOC LCD 24" | HYBRID DUAL THROTTLE (SAITEK THROTTLE QUADRANT + SUNCOM DUAL THROTTLE) | CH FIGHTERSTICK | SAITEK PRO PEDALS |

Aiming for the triple A firing at my wingman only to shoot him down myself , he figured he would fly directly in front of my missile. Good idea!

So more the Ai being real smart than me :p

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

I was flying a mission in the first campaign. I go into a hover over a small town full of baddies to shoot them up, all is going well, my wingman is to my right (very close).

After spending all mi vikhrs I go for a rocket-run and after the pass I try to manoeuvre into a hover. I yaw to turn towards the enemy again. All of the sudden I see my wingman fly right into me from the left. :shocking: I die, he ejects. I think he was trying to get on my right wing to form a formation, but ended in killing me. Sure I was flying around a bit too much as well but still it made me sympathetic to the story of Igor's untimely demise.

Since that incident I always tell my wingman to "float out the formation" (the F10 formation order).

Edited by Atomsk

I perform a series of aerobatic maneuvers to try myself against the Ghost of Frederf the god of helicopter dance.

Loop, no problem. Roll, flawless. I go low level, swing it one way and the other, and get so excited I decide to run to the end of the runway to make a hard turning stop and land gloriously on the numbers. Of course, Vortex Ring. But I sense it immediately, recover from it inches from the ground, cheering myself about how great an understanding of the helicopter I had developed, how incredibly powerful the feeling of being one with the machine, I think she acts, she acts I feel, God am I the grea... another vortex ring state. And it does not kill me, it just cuts my rotor so Frederf's dang Ghost can take a long laugh at me...

Westinghouse W-600 refrigerator - Corona six-pack - Marlboro reds - Patience by Girlfriend

"Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse so as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess, in such a way that the public has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." (Dr. A. R. Dykes - British Institution of Structural Engineers, 1976)

I'd been flying a mission for over an hour, killed anything that could shoot at me and was mopping up the Artillary and support trucks. I was taking my time, playing around at hovering/manoeuvring up close and personal at very low level and killing things with just a few gunshot rounds in boresight mode. Anyway, I'd shot a truck, he started burning so I moved on to the next target, hovering just above the burning truck only to get hit by it's blast when it exploded.

Lots of friendly fire incidents in this thread. I've had tons of my own - and it's embarrassing!

It really makes me wonder how smart of a move Kamov made building a single seat helo. Sure, all the systems are very automated and all, but that can only take things so far when trying to both observe key details and fly the helo. Having read Ed Macy's book, it's so clear that you really need two people in a combat helo cockpit: one to see the forest, the other to see the trees.

In the KA-50, the Shkval is just one of many instruments you need to scan. In the other helos, the pilot can be racking the bird around in tight turns and high speed passes, monitoring his instruments and the general environment, while the gunner can focus only on his sensors and target identification. Mind you, it makes the KA-50 an awesome challenge to master, but still, it can get frustrating when you kill a friendly because you didn't look hard enough or kill yourself because your eyes were on the Shkval instead of the power lines quickly approaching. It's a tough balance.

My stupid incident? Flew forty kilometers deep into enemy territory on an online mission, got into the target area... only to inadvertently smack a factory smokestack as I flew over a town at high speed. The smokestack had lined up perfectly with a road behind it. "Hey, that road's getting wide real quick... s***! Pull up!" THWACK.

No explosion? No Christmas carol of alarms and blinking lights? I got into a hover and did a damage assessment. Everything checked out... except my Shkval. I successfully broke the only targeting sensor on the helo and I was facing off against AAA and armor. Rockets and guns wouldn't do. Sheepish, I had to fly back all forty kilometers with my tail between my legs and swap out for a new helo.

Edited by wickedpenguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Never got to shoot a single friendly, luckly.

The experience I got from Il-2, after bouncing countless friendly aircrafts online because of misrecognition, already made me train recognition a lot.

Dropping 2000 meters to intercept a friendly happened quite some times. In a few occasions, after I aborted, an enemy was nearby and jumped on me. Once it was even worse: I thought it was a friendly, but it was actually a big fat One-Oh-Nine. Too late - I was slow and close to him. Luckly, we were at 5K and I managed to dive away after some non-sense maneuvers.

I think the power line one was the worst so far. "Oh, it's just like Lock On... What the?!" Ka-boom. Silence.

Wingman killing me happened once, I think. Night flying, I was evading a SAM. After the darn Strela hit me, the wingman came and smashed on my Shark... That bastard :doh:

I use to use my G13 to start up the BS, so one day I was flying to a mission I was working on, also G13 was used to set up my weapons and stuff before I got the X52. I get about 8km away from my target and go into a hover. I went to activate my weapon system, instead I turned off my fuel and shut down the engines. Before I knew what was going on, I was sinking in a lake :(

ScreenShot_017.jpg

Edited by DJ_J3ff

Trying to be too clever with export.lua, and finding out that the clickable cockpit is still nice and clickable that way, long before taking control of the aircraft in a training mission / track replay, and so able to crash the aircraft because one of those switches was the AP Alt Hold channel.

It's like I just added my own virus to the heli's onboard computers causing them to 'crash' big time. :doh:

[ i7 2600k 4.6GHz :: 16GB Mushkin Blackline LV :: EVGA GTX 1080ti 11GB ]

[ TM Warthog / Saitek Rudder :: Oculus Rift :: Obutto cockpit :: Acer HN274H 27" 120Hz :: 3D Vision Ready ]

...... I went to activate my weapon system, instead I turned off my fuel and shut down the engines. Before I knew what was going on, I was sinking in a lake :(

and thats why you activate the waepons on start up....

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

and thats why you activate the waepons on start up....

Yea I could. To me though it just doesn't feel right. Why would you arm weaps on start up? Well, besides what happened to me lol. Wonder if anyone else waits until they get into position to activate weaps. When I start getting close to the way point, I turn on the skhval and start scanning the horizon, then when I see a target, I turn on the laser, get my range, and then arm the system while going into hover. All this is done simultaneously. So nice using the X52 now. Dont even have to take my hand off the stick and throttle. G13 is collecting dust atm, might use it for A-10 :)

Because you have a master arm to guarantee there won't be Vikhrs flying all around.

You get the weapons system ready from the beginning (I also turn the laser on start-up as well), the thing you should turn on when getting close to target is the Master Arm switch, and that's all.

When I talk about "Arming/Activate the system" I am referring to "Master Arm". JFYI :) Should of been more clear to avoid the confusion of what I am talking about. And of course, I did not think anyone would delve so deep into my post as what I thought was amusing turning into this :( Sorry for the hijacking.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So anyway, the other night decided that we should practice night flying on my mp server. So in we go, prep the aircraft, confirmed voice comms with bravo sierra 12 and lifted off, spent a wonderful 20 mins doing circuits and bumps and pinpoint landings on goggles, when I made that fateful decision, a low flypast down the centreline, called up 12 and asked his position, oh about halfway down runway moving off mate came the reply, I'm about 2 miles out on centre lineup, no probs I think he'll be well clear by time I get there. So start my approch, 250 knots 50ft looking good, all going well until about halfway down runway, ( see where this is going ) sure enough 12 is still there, hovering at 50ft on the centreline facing away from me, I see his tip lights last min, his other lights were obscured by the runway lighting, hard left turn, and the sound of splintering blades, heli starts shaking all over place and it looks like the red light district in the cockpit, all I can hear is mayday calls from 12 as he heads rather quicker than he planned to the deck, quick emergency landing and shutdown, ok we are both still alive , but think I may be getting a court Marshall for this, whoops

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

I believe it's for the other way around - telling radar-equipped friendlies that you're not a target. The shark doesn't have any way of interogating locked targets as far as I'm aware.

Locked up a tank in the Shkval, zoomed in the view, while hearing Betty calling that I was being painted by enemy radar. I did nothing, but lobbed HE rounds watching the impacts around the tank, when "puff!" A tank round fires, and the next second, I am singing to the virtual angels with a dead logbook profile.

The Rig: i5 7700k OC 4.6ghz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]