The F-35 Thread

Groove

Depends how well the helmet works. HUDs typically have also traditional collimator sight as a backup for ultimate redundancy. Then again how useful a traditional HUD or collimator sight would be for F-35 is also question. You could also have HUD like system on the front touchscreen for backup if needed with forward facing DAS camera providing background video.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even think about if someone would think that HUD might be some way superior to the helmet HUD in addition to reliability. From my limited experience with sims I would ditch the HUD without doubt even if I could only have the same functionality as in HUD in a helmet sight as you can see all the important info while looking at the bandit. In real life neck strain is an issue but I have no idea if it's an actual problem.

DCS Finland: Suomalainen DCS yhteisö -- Finnish DCS community

--------------------------------------------------

SF Squadron

Well AFAIK, Helmet Mounted Displays (HMD) can cause neck injuries specially during an ejections if the cables fail to disconnect. That mix with cost and reliability is the only disadvantages I see. Also not knowing how F-35 emergency systems work. If the main generator for the F-35 fails, what are the back ups? Having only screens and HMD for flight instruments, what does the pilot used during power emergency?

For comparison. F-16 (USAF, block 40/42 circa 2012) it has main generator, a standby generator (both run by the engine through the accessory gear box or ADG), an emergency generator mounted on the Emergency Power Units (EPU) run by hydrazine ( or bleed air if the main engine is running) and lastly the battery. So the steam gauges can work with the battery in an emergency.

Edited by mvsgas
  • Like 1

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Nice , please do that :D

Sadly, after 5-6 hours of fun, I wasn't able to. Haven't had all the classes I need to do that yet, but mainly, I would need one flight point in F-35 where I would be able to know acceleration (mainly z), AoA, pitch angle, speed, altitude, TAS and thrust. I thought about doing it with take off (as we know the T/O speed will be around 75m/s|150KTS) but the F-35 has slats which is problematic, as the point of having this point is to find the AoA>Cl coefficient, which wouldn't be valid with flaps/slats.

I could also take stall AoA, but again...slats.

And besides, calculations with Bernoulli's law in transonic as you did aren't accruate so there's just too much margin of error to make it worth while :(

Edited by Ktulu2

Sadly, after 5-6 hours of fun, I wasn't able to. Haven't had all the classes I need to do that yet, but mainly, I would need one flight point in F-35 where I would be able to know acceleration (mainly z), AoA, pitch angle, speed, altitude, TAS and thrust. I thought about doing it with take off (as we know the T/O speed will be around 75m/s|150KTS) but the F-35 has slats which is problematic, as the point of having this point is to find the AoA>Cl coefficient, which wouldn't be valid with flaps/slats.

I could also take stall AoA, but again...slats.

And besides, calculations with Bernoulli's law in transonic as you did aren't accruate so there's just too much margin of error to make it worth while :(

Ohh nooooooooooooooooooooo:cry: too bad

Btw, what's the plan in terms of how long the F/A-18E well be kept onboard carriers?

AFAIK until 2040, to be replaced by the F/A-XX.

AFAIK, due to the current operational tempo, even the F/A-18E/F are using the flight hours faster than expected and SLAP program was initiated.

Description: Funding supports assessing the structural condition of the F/A-18 fleet in order to determine what modifications are

necessary to extend the aircraft designed life limits to allow it to achieve CNO inventory requirements.

FY 2011 Accomplishments:

Continue analysis of numerous data points to provide exploitation of complete structural fatigue testing with the expectation of

extending the current service life of F/A-18E/F flight hours from 6,000 to 9,000 hours.

FY 2012 Plans:

Continue analysis of numerous data points to provide exploitation of complete structural fatigue testing with the expectation of

extending the current service life of F/A-18E/F flight hours from 6,000 to 9,000 hours.

FY 2013 Plans:

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Thanks for the videos SiThSpAwN. I read that they have just completed pitching deck and weapons carry trials on the recent USS America cruise, but haven't seen any videos yet. If anyone comes across some, please post.

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

Click on image to enlarge

thumb_161107-N-MS311-014.JPG

61107-N-MS311-014 PACIFIC OCEAN (Nov. 7, 2016) Royal Air Force Squadron Leader Andrew "Gary" Edgell, U.K. test pilot meticulously inspects his F-35B Lightning II aircraft during preflight. On the F-35B's developmental test phase (DT-III) aboard the amphibious assault ship USS America (LHA 6), the aircraft is examined undergoing envelope expansion via a series of launches and recoveries in various operating conditions such as high sea states and high winds. (U.S. Navy Photo by Lt. j.g. Maideline Sanchez/Released)

iDv2NAeTEqs

dDOk8huiR0M

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

AARGM-ER...

How exactly is that pronounced? :P

AARGMER like this guy

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXZoeaJiIoFOygwMKP3IBwLii17nFfuD6fIjs0NPRA0xnvkLDN4g

:D

To whom it may concern,

Thanks for sharing, SiTh!

I'm happy to know the pilots love the F-35.

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I love the F-35C and I've only sat in the cockpit once..

if Super Bugs get the Upgrades to Match the F-35 Avionics... Super Bug Pilots will be Very Happy.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What? How did you get to sit in the cockpit of an F-35!?!?

I still have friends on Base from when my dad was in the Navy, and half the guys I grew up with and went through NJROTC w/ all went into the navy.

That Pretty much Covers it.

But I'm pretty sure there's been open canopy displays at airshows, since it's an Export Ready Aircraft it's not as tightly guarded as say the F-22A..

I was sitting in F-14B and D Cockpits when I was 10 years old..

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs