Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

29 minutes ago, Carbon715 said:

Anyone else having some real low fps/lag at the beginning of joining a server or spawning in with the aero reprojection fixed to 45? Non reprojection i dont notice. Secondly flying around there will be sudden drops to low fps with reprojection on...about 3 to 5 sec. This is using MT version with DFR. Rtx 4090, 13900k and 64 gb ddr5 6000mhz.

Reprojection is very taxiing on the systems, I get the same with an AMD 7800X3D and a 4090, also MT version, DFR helps, have you tried it?

19 hours ago, motoadve said:

Reprojection is very taxiing on the systems, I get the same with an AMD 7800X3D and a 4090, also MT version, DFR helps, have you tried it?

Yup I said using MT with DFR....just wondering if the drops were normal considering high end equipment 

Anyone having issue with the F-18 radar with either Varjo DFR of DCS MT?  

Did a little gaming today, and my friends didnt have any issues with the radar but I saw it omn the first flight with DCS MT and Varjo DFR, and I had it today also. 

The altitude numbers of the  radar lobe at range is faulty, always same number for upper and lower limit, and the radar setting SILENT is boxed, which seems like it would be off. Sleving the lobe up and down dosent work, and also, it doesnt see anything.  I now remember I didnt check that is was set to ON, but autostarted A/C have had it to on before.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Thanks Supmua for the guide. I see there are several different ways of running DCS and the Varjo Aero. I'll be going from a G2 to the Aero and should recieve the Aero sometimes next week. I appreciate your time and sharing this information. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

17 hours ago, Gunnars Driver said:

Anyone having issue with the F-18 radar with either Varjo DFR of DCS MT?  

Did a little gaming today, and my friends didnt have any issues with the radar but I saw it omn the first flight with DCS MT and Varjo DFR, and I had it today also. 

The altitude numbers of the  radar lobe at range is faulty, always same number for upper and lower limit, and the radar setting SILENT is boxed, which seems like it would be off. Sleving the lobe up and down dosent work, and also, it doesnt see anything.  I now remember I didnt check that is was set to ON, but autostarted A/C have had it to on before.

Is it still there after the latest update?  Been flying the Apache mostly so I never noticed this.  Will double check when I get home but this is most likely not related to the Aero itself.

49 minutes ago, Burt said:

Thanks Supmua for the guide. I see there are several different ways of running DCS and the Varjo Aero. I'll be going from a G2 to the Aero and should recieve the Aero sometimes next week. I appreciate your time and sharing this information. 

Too many ways (of running DCS on the Aero), and it should’ve been streamlined by the devs on both sides (hardware/software) to reduce the confusion especially among new owners.  But this is what happens when you have too much fragmentation and perpetual betas/early access products.  At least it works, and works pretty well once you set it up correctly.

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I didn't experience any radar elevation issues with the latest update.  The DFR MT mode's performance is still great in free flights.  Mariana F18 free flight 90 fps around the coast, and dipped into 70 in congested areas which is bonkers at PD 0.9.

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

So I have been running DCS-MT at some very high gfx settings since getting the DFR with eye tracking wrapper in - and performance has been outstanding. I settled with Vsync ON and locked at 45 fps. I do not have reprojection on as I do not care for it still. 

Have been running my MSAA at 2x, increased that to 4x this morning for today's round of flying. My 4090 never even broke a sweat, if there was a performance penalty I sure did not see it as my fps remained a solid 45 fps. I was like oh man I could have been running MSAA at 4x all this time. That is ok I certainly am going forward. 

This headset really stretches it's legs and shines when using the DFR and eye tracking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yeah I think I’ll go that route also thanks for sharing Don 👍🏻

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

21 minutes ago, darkman222 said:

45 fps and not motion reprojection aka motion smoothing? How can you have a smooth ride then?!

I tried that and not smooth at all AMD 7800X3D , 4090. 

With Motion smoothing not so good either.

1 hour ago, darkman222 said:

45 fps and not motion reprojection aka motion smoothing? How can you have a smooth ride then?!

Long as I can maintain better than 45 fps it looks very smooth to me. Now I will on some rare occasions get a spike causing a big stutter or two, thankfully that does not happen too frequently. Undstand though everyone's experience can be quite different. What works for one may not work well at all for another. I just spent a large amount of hours testing, adjusting, testing, etc over many days to get it to the level I have it now for me. The two things that absolutely made it possible for me to get this performance at high GFX settings were MT and DFR with eye tracking supplied for the Aero by mbucchia.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Locked 45 fps is very smooth, the fast moving objects will be blurry though but this is my go to mode when playing complex missions or MP.  You also have an option of motion smoothing which can be either good or bad depending on your settings because it is quite a bit more taxing on performance.  Motion smoothing only works well as long as you maintain fps >45, and I think it still has issues with DFR mode.

• Like 1

MT + DFR with my 13900k and 4090 runs veeerryy fluid with maxed out graphics.
Until today i didn´t even need to try Motion Reprojection, also i´m not locked at 45fps
as i´m allways around 40-50 in heavy scenarios. Also the last few NVidia drivers did
their best in my opinion.

Do you guys also (still) have the visible boxes around the "sharp" area in DFR mode?
Very noticeable at night but also during day when light changes drasticaly!!!
Thats the only thing that makes me (a bit) crazy sometimes 😉

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

1 hour ago, fastf1nger said:

MT + DFR with my 13900k and 4090 runs veeerryy fluid with maxed out graphics.
Until today i didn´t even need to try Motion Reprojection, also i´m not locked at 45fps
as i´m allways around 40-50 in heavy scenarios. Also the last few NVidia drivers did
their best in my opinion.

Do you guys also (still) have the visible boxes around the "sharp" area in DFR mode?
Very noticeable at night but also during day when light changes drasticaly!!!
Thats the only thing that makes me (a bit) crazy sometimes 😉

I have not noticed that yet - however have not done any night flights since these updates. I do not notice anything unusual in my normal daylight activities.

• Like 1

Don B

vor 23 Minuten schrieb dburne:

I have not noticed that yet - however have not done any night flights since these updates. I do not notice anything unusual in my normal daylight activities.

Yeah its not extremely present, but have been mentioned a few times here before 😉

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)

Ok so I am just going to put this statement here for the Varjo DCS enthusiast.

If you are not using @mbucchia Dynamic Foveated Rendering with eye tracking you are really missing out on one very big feature of the Varjo Aero. Thanks to DCS now supporting Open XR and to mbucchia for his work to enable this feature we now have this option available to us. Granted the new Multi Threading capability of DCS increased our performance nicely, however the performance increase from the DFR with Eye Tracking with the Aero is on a whole nother level I wiill say!

Probably most if not all in here have already tried it, if anyone hasn't do yourself a big favor and give it a shot. Just be aware if you are also a big fan of mbucchia's Open XR Toolkit, both of these can not be used together. To use DFR with eye tracking one must disable the Open XR Toolkit.  Now I am sure there are some that are pretty knees deep in the Toolkit and don't want to lose that capability - all I would say is give it a shot and see if the DFR with eye tracking may be worth it to you. It certainly was to me.

https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don B

I just watched Str][kers video and it makes a lot of sense I’m definitely going that route.  

Start Date April 2020 

I have the box where the focus is located-as you said noticeable in specific situations (NVG,  staring into the sun etc)- seems like it may be 'some setting' in that others don't have/notice it. 

Which video are you referring to (re: Str][ker video)?

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Slick Twitchy:

I have the box where the focus is located-as you said noticeable in specific situations (NVG,  staring into the sun etc)- seems like it may be 'some setting' in that others don't have/notice it. 

Definitely have the box visible aswell. Don´t know if it could be a special setting, in my case all graphic sliders are maxed out. NVidia settings only changed "Power mode" to "Maximum Performance".

Edited by fastf1nger

14 hours ago, dburne said:

Ok so I am just going to put this statement here for the Varjo DCS enthusiast.

If you are not using @mbucchia Dynamic Foveated Rendering with eye tracking you are really missing out on one very big feature of the Varjo Aero. Thanks to DCS now supporting Open XR and to mbucchia for his work to enable this feature we now have this option available to us. Granted the new Multi Threading capability of DCS increased our performance nicely, however the performance increase from the DFR with Eye Tracking with the Aero is on a whole nother level I wiill say!

Probably most if not all in here have already tried it, if anyone hasn't do yourself a big favor and give it a shot. Just be aware if you are also a big fan of mbucchia's Open XR Toolkit, both of these can not be used together. To use DFR with eye tracking one must disable the Open XR Toolkit.  Now I am sure there are some that are pretty knees deep in the Toolkit and don't want to lose that capability - all I would say is give it a shot and see if the DFR with eye tracking may be worth it to you. It certainly was to me.

https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated

Are there any downsides visually, e.g. can you see a more blurry view in your peripheral vision or is it unnoticeable?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

Are there any downsides visually, e.g. can you see a more blurry view in your peripheral vision or is it unnoticeable?

Occasionally I might get a very quick glimpse but really I would consider it mostly unnoticeable.

Don B

59 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

It's not really noticeable... I will occasionally notice the frame "sharpening" as I look around, or if the frame rate drops a lot for some reason.   But with the significantly increased detail and framerate, no, there is no downside.   I'm generally running amazing clarity and 90 fps. 

maybe the shade-lighter box around the focus area, if you get it and it bothers you... some people see it, some don't.   But still... totally worth it

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Baldrick33:

Also for me, totally worth it. I would never go back.
As for now, i think thats what we allways wanted in terms of performance and visual fidelity!!

• Like 1

I still see that faint white box on the left screen when glancing upward with the sky as background, but barely.  Doesn't really affect my gameplay.  The instant 90 fps it gives in free flights makes it well worth it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slick Twitchy said:

• Like 1

Start Date April 2020