Varjo Aero: General guide for new owners

Supmua

I ended up doing this:

Via JSGME, created mod packages for Varjo-Foveated & OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper.

So when I want to fly with DCS, I enable Varjo-Foveated, (and with the Toolkit disabled).  With MSFS and IL-2, I disable Varjo-Foveated, and enable OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper and the Toolkit.

Tested it out with all 3 sims, and the use cases are working great.  Gotta have that Varjo-Foveated for DCS!  But this is a good compromise for the other sims I like to fly.

I'm happy with the Aero, and once I have my VR Optician inserts, I know that's going to help a lot. 

Going to do the hand me down of the Reverb G2 to my secondary rig, (9700K and the 3090FE).  Was using the Oculus Rift S on that.  I have the secondary rig for the Grandkids.... 😀

Edited by javelina1
  • Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

41 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

I ended up doing this:

Via JSGME, created mod packages for Varjo-Foveated & OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper.

So when I want to fly with DCS, I enable Varjo-Foveated, (and with the Toolkit disabled).  With MSFS and IL-2, I disable Varjo-Foveated, and enable OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper and the Toolkit.

Tested it out with all 3 sims, and the use cases are working great.  Gotta have that Varjo-Foveated for DCS!  But this is a good compromise for the other sims I like to fly.

I'm happy with the Aero, and once I have my VR Optician inserts, I know that's going to help a lot. 

Going to do the hand me down of the Reverb G2 to my secondary rig, (9700K and the 3090FE).  Was using the Oculus Rift S on that.  I have the secondary rig for the Grandkids.... 😀

Hello, I have varjo foveated installed, and I am able to use DCS with it (as shown by the infamous NVG bug that come back with the last beta), but can also use il2 and MSFS with openXR Toolkit as it is...(I disabled DCS in OpenXR toolkit). I see how you can toggle the OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper  with JSGME, but how do you disable Varjo Foceat ? And, as it is working, without beeing disabled, does it mean you have better performance ?

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

1 hour ago, lefuneste01 said:

Hello, I have varjo foveated installed, and I am able to use DCS with it (as shown by the infamous NVG bug that come back with the last beta), but can also use il2 and MSFS with openXR Toolkit as it is...(I disabled DCS in OpenXR toolkit). I see how you can toggle the OpenXR-InstanceExtensionsWrapper  with JSGME, but how do you disable Varjo Foceat ? And, as it is working, without beeing disabled, does it mean you have better performance ?

Hi M8,

I saw that Varjo-Foveated installed into c:\program files\OpenXR-Varjo-Foveated   I then created a JSGME mod/package from that sub-dir.  I then install or remove that package when I want to use DCS.  I also have DCS permanently disabled from the Toolkit, (and leaving only IL2 and MSFS as active).

So when I want to fly DCS, I install the Varjo-Foveated package and remove the InstanceExtensionsWrapper.  No need to worry about the Toolkit, since DCS is removed from it.

I only went this path, because I haven't gotten clarity as of yet regarding my question in this post: 

Is the correct method is to leave the Varjo-Foveated installed, remove the InstanceExtensionWrapper, (and just remove DCS from the Toolkit)?  MSFS and IL-2 will work fine with the Toolkit, while the DCS Varjo-Foveated is installed? I was worried that Varjo-Foveated was incompatible with the non DCS sims.

With my JSGME method, I'm very happy with the performance of all 3 sims.  I fly SP, 39ppd, locked at 45FPS in VB.

Edited by javelina1
clarifying question

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

@javelina1 - I use Varjo Foveated in both DCS and IL-2 Box sims, no issues. I can't speak for MSFS but can't imagine it would be a problem..

• Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Anyone running the aero with a 3090? So tempted with the current bf sale

Im still on an index and am loving the vr fps performance at the moment.

I wont be upgrading gpu until 5000 series and am bit nervous that i will be going back to chasing fps again if i pick up an aero with the 3090?

21 hours ago, kevman said:

Anyone running the aero with a 3090? So tempted with the current bf sale

Im still on an index and am loving the vr fps performance at the moment.

I wont be upgrading gpu until 5000 series and am bit nervous that i will be going back to chasing fps again if i pick up an aero with the 3090?

I very recently switched from an Index to a Varjo Aero. It is a massive step up. The screen-door effect is completely gone and the clarity is just amazing.

I can't say anything about the performance with a 3090. But for what it's worth: as my new PC is still not here, I hooked the Aero up to my old PC (i7 6700k @4.2 Ghz, NVIDIA 2070 Super, 16GB RAM) and got DCS to run somewhat decently in Single Player, even on this ancient hardware (VR Preset with a few settings lowerd and DLAA added).   Foveated Rendering makes it possible to have a pretty playable experience on older hardware (https://github.com/mbucchia/Varjo-Foveated ). My old PC is currently mostly CPU bound when I am using the Aero, so I guess if you have a decent CPU and are willing to turn down some graphics options a little, you'll be just fine.

If I was you I'd definitely get one, that increase in visual quality compared to the Index is insane. I am sure you will love it.

Edited by cow_art
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, kevman said:

Hey cow-art - thanks for your response. I have a 5900x so not too shabby. As you say i can turn down the settings for now and sounds like it will still be a lot better.

Need to get the executive decision making cap on!

it will be a good upgrade no matter what.   The foveated rendering of the aero saves you on GPU performance and you can always adjust the resolution of the Aero down if the 3090 is struggling (either through the varjoBase software or the foveated .lua file

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

2 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

it will be a good upgrade no matter what.   The foveated rendering of the aero saves you on GPU performance and you can always adjust the resolution of the Aero down if the 3090 is struggling (either through the varjoBase software or the foveated .lua file

And Varjo is doing a -10% Black Friday sale right now! Pays for most of the cost of a lighthouse!

Edited by GPatricks
  • Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

27 minutes ago, GPatricks said:
29 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

And Varjo is doing a -10% Black Friday sale right now! Pays for most of the cost of a lighthouse!

I have the base stations already so even more value for money!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brainfreeze said:

Yea, 1000 thanks to mbucchia for implementing this! The ability to keep the focus area at 100% resolution and reduce the render quality of the periphery is a great way to squeeze some FPS out of older systems.

Edited by cow_art

On 10/31/2023 at 3:18 PM, dburne said:

If you have any trouble, let me know.

For those that don't know (and I didn't until seeing a Varjo/dcs-world  Discord post from mbucchia), Don (dburne) posted a "Farewell" in the "chit-chat" forum here on October 29th, and here he was, riddled with cancer,  trying to help someone on 10/31.. He passed on November 10, just 10 days later. RIP Don, you have helped/touched many people..

Edited by GPatricks
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, GPatricks said:

For those that don't know (and I didn't until seeing a Varjo/dcs-world  Discord post from mbucchia), Don (dburne) posted a "Farewell" in the "chit-chat" forum here on October 29th, and here he was, riddled with cancer,  trying to help someone on 10/31.. He passed on November 10, just 10 days later. RIP Don, you have helped/touched many people..

Thank you for letting us know. It's profoundly strange and sad to have this slightly weird relationship in these forums, and not know the struggles we are all going though. He was such a helpful guy. I feel a strange and deep sadness at his passing. Into the great unknown beyond. I hope he is sitting somewhere-pain free and flying into another adventure. 

• Like 3

CRX-Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K;4090; Varjo Aero; Winwing UFC/HUD/MFDs/Throttle/PTO Panel/Combat Panel; Winwing F-18 joystick; Buttkickers; Monstertech flight seat; PointCTRL.

15 hours ago, GPatricks said:

Again as @Slick Twitchy said THANK YOU.. early in October Don was asking about Aero headset recommendations complaining only of his “ear wax” build up and what would be a good upgrade when he went got his ear cleaned. The brief suggestions and interactions with Don on this subject not only proved he was a scholar but also a gentlemen.. everything we could all strive to be.

I would be letting Don down if I didn’t share his and mine comfort in knowing our Lord Jesus’s promises in eternal life. If you followed Don thread in “Chit-Chat” of “My Current Situation” please do. Very powerful in his amazing peace about his situation and eternal position flying formation in God’s Air Force. 

RIP @dburne ;I know I will see you in a better place Brother 

• Like 2

Corsair 5000D Black - i913900KS 24 core 3.2GHz - ASUS Z790 Hero DDR5 - 64GB Dominator DDR5 - iCUE H150i Liquid Cooler - QL iCUE Fans- PNY 24GB RTX4090 - 2TB 990 Pro - 2TB 980 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS/Throttle and TRP Pedals - Cougars MFD - Total Controls MFBB - TEK AHCP - Trak Racer TR8 Pro cockpit and a frustrating Pimax 8kx Varjo Aero.... "So I commandeered the police car and was giving people rides in it for $80… I don't call it a drinking problem; I call it a 'making to much money' problem"--Jungle Recon

Just a thought, but if Don touched/helped you in some way you can leave a message here for his family. They should know he had MANY friends out in the world.. https://www.echovita.com/us/obituaries/fl/apopka/donald-burnette-17203992

• Like 3

SOLVED. Not a regular DCS flyer, been using XRNS in IL-2 for some time, works perfectly. Just tried it in DCS (been a while) and while it's active and  the recenter key works, it does not "Autorotate" in the cockpit. Tried it in MT and openbeta exe, and it is running as Admin..  Noticed (checked while in the cockpit) the only OpenXR API layer is " XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_XRNeckSafer", should DCS be running something, or is there some setting in DCS i'm missing? 

Edited by GPatricks

Having a strange issue

coming from G2 to the aero

i have motion smoothing turned on with sync on auto

when I run DCS in openXR, the dDCS menus and when entering the cockpit the FPS are very low (around 23) for up to 5 to 10 seconds then they pop back up to 45 and stay there until entering a new screen (back to menu or load a new mission)

It’s like the motion smoothing is taking some to work out what to do

turning off motion smoothing this FPS low delay issue disappears

Is this what others experience and is there a fix for it?

Edited by Underscore

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

Having a strange issue
coming from G2 to the aero
i have motion smoothing turned on with sync on auto
when I run DCS in openXR, the dDCS menus and when entering the cockpit the FPS are very low (around 23) for up to 5 to 10 seconds then they pop back up to 45 coming

It’s like the motion smoothing is taking some to work out what to do
turning off motion smoothing this FPS low delay issue disappears
Is this what others experience and is there a fix for it?
Personally I avoid MR. You could try disabling MR and locking VSYNC to 45 in Varjo base, and see how you feel. Obviously the closer you can get to 90 and maintain it is the ideal, but not always practical.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

12 minutes ago, zildac said:

Personally I avoid MR. You could try disabling MR and locking VSYNC to 45 in Varjo base, and see how you feel. Obviously the closer you can get to 90 and maintain it is the ideal, but not always practical.

this is what I do, and works just fine.

4 hours ago, javelina1 said:

this is what I do, and works just fine.

Me too, works great..

Thanks - I’ll try locking at 45 and turning off Motion Smoothing and see if it’s smooth gameplay - hope it is 🙂

out of interest could one of you try enabling motion smoothing and see if you get the same as I reported above - thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5800X @ 4.8Gz; MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk; GeForce RTX 4090 MSI Trio;  32MB DDR4 @ 3600Mhz; Samsung 980 pro M.2; Varjo Aero VR; Thrustmaster Warthog stick, Viper TQS throttle & MFD's; Monza SR-P pedals

2 hours ago, Underscore said:

Thanks - I’ll try locking at 45 and turning off Motion Smoothing and see if it’s smooth gameplay - hope it is 🙂

out of interest could one of you try enabling motion smoothing and see if you get the same as I reported above - thanks

During my initial shakedown with the Aero I had it enabled.  Didn't like it, not "smooth" at all. Noticed some drops.  Hence, went with the 45fps/locked setup. I had been following dburne about his experiences and setup.  (RIP Don)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, javelina1 said:

During my initial shakedown with the Aero I had it enabled.  Didn't like it, not "smooth" at all. Noticed some drops.  Hence, went with the 45fps/locked setup. I had been following dburne about his experiences and setup.  (RIP Don)

Been seeing this a lot... on my side I have motion smoothing on and 45 lock ... without motion smoothing low flying at high speed ... trees and houses are ghosting too much.  I do not get spikes/drops on my system

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals