Turns out, Case I Recovery is pretty easy!!!

JOEM423

Once you figure out On Speed AoA you just follow the Glideslope with ICLS and watch that Amber Light and glide onto the Deck! Pretty Satisfying landing on a carrier deck even if it is just a game!!!

Joe

11 hours ago, JOEM423 said:

Once you figure out On Speed AoA you just follow the Glideslope with ICLS and watch that Amber Light and glide onto the Deck! Pretty Satisfying landing on a carrier deck even if it is just a game!!!

Joe

:thumbup:  It's a start.  After a while and bunch of YT vids, you might decide to get deeper and finesse the 'stuff'. Lots of good reading material around the forums.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Three things that really helped me to at least land consistently (might help newbies):

1) Make sure to trim the aircraft after landing gears and flaps. Fighting the plane makes it much more harder to land.

2) Aim the velocity vector and don't move the stick to manage angle of attack only move it so that velocity vector is on target.

2) Focus on E-bracket and think about it as a throttle indicator: the more forward your velocity vector compared to the middle of E-bracket - the more throttle needs to be added and vice versa. The distance from the middle of the bracket to velocity vector is proportional to throttle movement. This mental model really helped to focus on precise throttle movements and land consistently (albeit imperfectly).

Edited by Ablomis

That's the beauty of CASE I and the sim in general. The basics are easy, then when you want more challenge you add another layer, like tightening your groove time. Then you can add another layer, like timing your recovery with launches and other traffic in the pattern. Then another layer with some SHB action.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 7:11 AM, Ablomis said:

Three things that really helped me to at least land consistently (might help newbies):

1) Make sure to trim the aircraft after landing gears and flaps. Fighting the plane makes it much more harder to land.

2) Aim the velocity vector and don't move the stick to manage angle of attack only move it so that velocity vector is on target.

2) Focus on E-bracket and think about it as a throttle indicator: the more forward your velocity vector compared to the middle of E-bracket - the more throttle needs to be added and vice versa. The distance from the middle of the bracket to velocity vector is proportional to throttle movement. This mental model really helped to focus on precise throttle movements and land consistently (albeit imperfectly).

You use the trim to move the v/v into the E bracket.  

Once centred, use throttle to control where the V/V goes.  

Shouldn’t really be using the stick’s pitch control when on an approach. 

It’s kind of opposite to how the F16 works, where for that you use the stick/trim to move the E bracket as opposed the V/V. 

Edited by pierscockey

i9 12900KS  |  3090ti 24GB  |  64GB 5200Mhz DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum

GS-4 Seat  |  NLM V3  |  VPC MongoosT-50M2 Base  |  Warthog Throttle + stick  |  MFG Crosswind  |  Reverb G1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:55 AM, Dragon1-1 said:

Yeah, in the Hornet it's pretty straightforward. Try doing the same in the Tomcat

or F5 🙂

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

Biggest challenge I have at the 3/4 mile is swapping stick and throttle for speed and pitch.  Just cant get the hang of that.

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.

23 minutes ago, Steel Jaw said:

Biggest challenge I have at the 3/4 mile is swapping stick and throttle for speed and pitch.  Just cant get the hang of that.

Try to get on-speed during your downwind, immediately following gears/flaps down. Should only need to struggle with getting on speed in the turn/groove if you're doing a SHB or breaking at the stern because you're taking in a division.

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.