Take a pal for a flight on 1 machine with VR

TheTrooper

Something I thought of which would be pretty cool for two seater aircraft now that the F15 is coming out at some point. Two seater vaients would be good also for this.

If you had two VR headsets You could take a friend for a ride with them in the back seat. Maybe experience a player doing a bombing run, do some aerobatics etc. Both can share the same flight experience. You never know, it might get them to decide to invest in DCS and learning themselves.

-----------------------------------------------

Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache | 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2133MHz | MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G |SSD 1TB 970 EVO Plus M.2

There is actually a 14-day Free to Play trial for most if not all modules. 

• Like 2

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

How on earth do you connect two VR head sets to the same computer? I seem to be missing something here. I mean, I do have two headsets (one old, one newer), but I only ever connect one at any time, and don't even know if my tracking gear (Vive Lighthouse) supports that. 

• Like 1

While this is something I have wished for on all multi crew aircraft there is another quick and free solution that will allow for just that. The T-45 Goshawk free mod. Not only is it a 2 seater but it is a great Naval trainer to give your buddy a taste of carrier launches and recoveries.  You would just have to download a copy to each PC along with DCS.

As @SharpeXB already mentioned, the very generous 14 day free trial (every 6 months!) should be more than sufficient for the OP 🙂

Although it would be nice to have an option to fly along (in VR) as a spectator inside someone else's cockpit. For training purposes or just to have something to look at whilst eating a ham sandwich.

(as others mentioned I'm also very curious how the OP would manage to run two HMD's simultaneously on one pc 😯. I can't imagine this would run well at all, which in turn would not be a good way to introduce potential new players)

• Like 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

On a single PC, right now, no chance.

Otherwise, we can already do it in a variety of aircraft 

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It would be nice if DCS had a sort of "spit-screen multiplayer" mode where both seats could be flown at once, from the same PC. Two VR headsets are probably too much to ask for (performance is one thing, but I don't know if driver software even supports a pair of headsets), but it'd be doable with a multimonitor setup. This isn't just to demo the module to someone, but also, say, for people who build helo cockpits and want to fly side by side with a copilot. I'd say, flying a Mi-8 with your whole family could be quite an experience (mom and dad in the front seats, the older kid in the navigator's seat, and the younger on the door gun). 🙂 It'd take quite a sim station, but let's be honest, people build things like that.

This would also have the advantage of completely nullifying desync issues that plague regular multicrew. The disadvantage, of course, being that the other person needs to be physically present and sitting next to you, and you need enough room on displays and a spare HOTAS, and one with something that could act as a mouse, at that. That said, I don't think it's too much to ask for. 

13 minutes ago, Dragon1-1 said:

It would be nice if DCS had a sort of "spit-screen multiplayer" mode where both seats could be flown at once, from the same PC.

I don't want to hijack this thread with my own idea, but since we are at it:

I would love the ability to dual-pilot a single-seater using two computers. In a network, both players (student and instructor) fly the same single-seat aircraft (e.g. A-10A), and the Instructor can simply take over and relinquish control of the plane. Whoever is in control has control over everything, the other player is merely sitting in the cockpit spectating, and no control (not even buttons) responds. This would make flight lessons and familiarization so much easier.

Of course, both planes must have been purchased, or be on their 14 day trial. This way more experienced players can give people interested in a frame a great walk-through, and help setting them up for maneuvers (landings, bombing runs, getting lost etc)

• Like 1