F-16 too good?

Baltic Dude

Before the FM update, the aircraft was underpowered, we can all agree on that. However after the FM update, it seems to me that the acceleration is way too high. I think they overdid it. Our variant block 50 shouldn't have such performance and I am worried that it's due to pressure from DCS' Nato community to get sales. I hope it's not the case and was wondering if anyone else thought the same or had other ideas about the F-16's current performance. I would welcome another look over and FM adjustment.

Well, the Viper is slow in only one thing: Slowing down.

I´m curious: "Our variant [...] shouldn´t have such performance" is this just a feeling or actually based on information ?

Edited by Jel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

When in doubt - climb. Nobody ever collided with air.

1 hour ago, Jel said:

Well, the Viper is slow in only one thing: Slowing down.

I´m curious: "Our variant [...] shouldn´t have such performance" is this just a feeling or actually based on information ?

I've talked to other people on forums and they agree with me in that for the variant we have in DCS, it shouldn't have such performance. It seems like ED prioritized the best capabilities of all Viper variants and put them together for DCS' F-16. Same mindset with Black Shark 3. If we were to get a proper Block 50 multirole F-16, it should not have such powerful acceleration, or at least that's what others have also been saying.

Edited by Baltic Dude

Ideas don’t go un noticed but you need to provide evidence, facts and figures build accurate simulations not guess work and approximation. Grab the evidence and track files from DCS and show where you think the performance needs adjusting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Baltic Dude said:

I've talked to other people on forums and they agree with me in that for the variant we have in DCS, it shouldn't have such performance. It seems like ED prioritized the best capabilities of all Viper variants and put them together for DCS' F-16. Same mindset with Black Shark 3. If we were to get a proper Block 50 multirole F-16, it should not have such powerful acceleration, or at least that's what others have also been saying.

So you don't have proof, only hearsay?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

I'm not sure about this, but I can only assume that ED had help from SME's (perhaps ex Viper pilots). They probably know better than 

2 hours ago, Baltic Dude said:

..other people on forums..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Viper does, in fact, have amazing acceleration. If it can only unload for a moment, it goes like a bat out of hell. Nothing wrong with its acceleration, real Viper drivers say the exact same thing.

Funnily enough, the way I saw "people on the forums" talk, it's not good enough because it has trouble defeating the Hornet in MP. One would think it'd have the Hornet dead to rights with such acceleration.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Geee, I gather extending air-breaks, carrying 2 bags and 6 AMRAAM, accelerating while climbing like nothing else still counts like a "feeling"?

I observed this with older FM, but perhaps we should repeat the tests with new FM? (I won't be able to do that before September properly)

Edited by okopanja

acceleration looks good to me, at least for di0 22000lbs at 15kft.

blue is sep for edf16, orange for haf block 50.
Where the orange line indicates 0sep (m0.85-1.0, 1.15-1.3), no correct sep-value can be read from the chart and I do not want to speculate here.

keep in mind that there is some tolerance in measuring sep in game and also in interpreting charts.

Overall it is very close.

edf16 sep 15kft 22000.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• ED Team
5 hours ago, Baltic Dude said:

If you have evidence I can always show the team, however we are very happy with where the viper sits performance wise based on the data and information we have. 

thank you

• Like 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 4 Stunden schrieb okopanja:

Geee, I gather extending air-breaks, carrying 2 bags and 6 AMRAAM, accelerating while climbing like nothing else still counts like a "feeling"?

I observed this with older FM, but perhaps we should repeat the tests with new FM? (I won't be able to do that before September properly)

Unfortunately, we don't have charts for airbrakes but we do have charts on the acceleration from the HAF manual and those match (see above).

• Like 3

The F-16 slightly underperforms when compared to charts last I checked. It's fine. It has insane acceleration, that's what it was designed for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

Just now, okopanja said:

empty or loaded?

The charts cover everything.

• Like 2

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

vor 1 Stunde schrieb okopanja:

empty or loaded?

Per drag index and weight, which is also mentioned in said manual.

Keep in mind that pylons have to be accounted on some stores, but not on all of them. 

Edited by TobiasA
  • Like 2