New Alpha Prime and CM3 Base available to order!

imacken

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The CM3 adaptor is about £25.  Hardly a show stopper!

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Really nice to have the adjustable clutches  available without having to remove the housing. I guess remains to be seen how effective they truly are. I could see them being a benefit when going from one extreme ( no clutch and free movement with spring return to center) to full clutch where the stick stays where you move it - for helicopters. Curious how they will be for in between uses, like how the teaser video showed a slow steady return to center of this stick with no oscillation. Something I think might not be so easy to accomplish.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Really nice to have the adjustable clutches  available without having to remove the housing. I guess remains to be seen how effective they truly are. I could see them being a benefit when going from one extreme ( no clutch and free movement with spring return to center) to full clutch where the stick stays where you move it - for helicopters. Curious how they will be for in between uses, like how the teaser video showed a slow steady return to center of this stick with no oscillation. Something I think might not be so easy to accomplish.

Before I got my dampened Slaw pedals, I used the TM T.Flight with a lot of Nyogel on them, they  behaved pretty much like in the video without any other "friction". 😉

About the new Virpil Constellation Alpha Prime, do you guys think this grip is more space sim oriented? I'm sure that it's a very high quality product, but you are, like me, flight simmers, so would you rather go for a more realistic grip?

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

4 minutes ago, Sciacud said:

About the new Virpil Constellation Alpha Prime, do you guys think this grip is more space sim oriented? 

No, not at all.

I have always been confused by this whole thing about describing the Alpha as a 'space sim' stick.  I have owned many different sticks over the years, and I can safely say that, IMO, the Alpha is, by a long way, the best flight stick.

I think the space thing must relate to the LEDs on the top, but they are easily disabled in software.

2 minutes ago, imacken said:

No, not at all.

I have always been confused by this whole thing about describing the Alpha as a 'space sim' stick.  I have owned many different sticks over the years, and I can safely say that, IMO, the Alpha is, by a long way, the best flight stick.

I think the space thing must relate to the LEDs on the top, but they are easily disabled in software.

Hello, yes I'm so confused. I have liked the T50-CM2 Mongoos grip, because it is very similar to real russian aricraft ones, but it is old and made of plastic. The new Alpha has LEDs lights and "Alien" head, which I don't like. So I'm thinking to VBK Gunfighter Ultimate + extension, which should be high quality as well.

What do you think about it?. I need help to buy my new stick and I can't decide. Thanks

• Like 1

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

Had the non ultimate version. Didn’t like it. Didn’t feel good in my hands compared to the Alpha. 

1 hour ago, Sciacud said:

About the new Virpil Constellation Alpha Prime, do you guys think this grip is more space sim oriented? I'm sure that it's a very high quality product, but you are, like me, flight simmers, so would you rather go for a more realistic grip?

I have a current Alpha, CM1 and Thrustmaster F18.  Have also owned an F16 grip.

Have to say that I prefer the Alpha to all of the other three, regardless of it's lack of accuracy.  Being fair, I fly pretty much everything in game, which probably removes some of my bias.

I'm personally not a fan of the lights, but then I fly pretty much exclusively in VR, so can't see them.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

2 hours ago, imacken said:

Had the non ultimate version. Didn’t like it. Didn’t feel good in my hands compared to the Alpha. 

small or big hands?

4 hours ago, Mr_sukebe said:

I'm personally not a fan of the lights, but then I fly pretty much exclusively in VR, so can't see them.

I really don’t understand why people talk about the lights like this. Just turn them off in the software.

2 hours ago, Sciacud said:

small or big hands?

Well above average I would say. 

6 hours ago, imacken said:

No, not at all.

Yes exactly why folks think of Alpha as more a space grip than a flight sim grip.  Plus the name itself - Alpha - can make one think of space as well - if they are old enough anyway lol. I have the Alpha L grip I use on my Virpil collective, the light does not really bother me as I game with a VR Headset on anyway but also know I can easily disable it which I probably will do next time I take the Apache out for a spin if I think about it.

I do like the grip though but also have the VKB Ultimate Grip on my stick and really like it - a lot. I was thinking about getting the new Virpil stick just to compare but did not want to lose out on my metal grip, but now Virpil is offering that also. So it is indeed tempting. Think I will wait a bit though - have spent enough already this year really. Plus there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Gunfighter Mk III Pro with Ultimate Grip. I like the Virpil software/firmware process better, but not like I need any of their softwares that much once set up.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

So it is indeed tempting. Think I will wait a bit though - have spent enough already this year really. Plus there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Gunfighter Mk III Pro with Ultimate Grip. I like the Virpil software/firmware process better, but not like I need any of their softwares that much once set up.

Me too.... but.... it is indeed tempting !!!

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

6 hours ago, dburne said:

Yes exactly why folks think of Alpha as more a space grip than a flight sim grip.  Plus the name itself - Alpha - can make one think of space as well - if they are old enough anyway lol.

Why? It's not for the name or LEDs lights only (which you can disable from software):

1. The Virpil factory itself said it in description of the stick in  their official website "Tailored for space-sim pilots, yet versatile enough for any fixed or rotary wing pilot."

2. Then you can have a look at the Ordering Process Live of Virpil website here where you can see that many customers, but not everybody, buy 2 Alpha grips (left and right) at once, That is for spacesim.

3. Last but not the least, the top of the stick that resembles the head of the Alien movie monster 🙂

Obviously all these reasons don't mean that Alpha grip could be versatile enough for any fixed or rotary wing pilot. In fact I'm seriously thinking about buying it, but I need to know your opinion guys.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well not really difficult:

• If you want a replica, don't buy an Alpha
  • If you don't care about the replica if you like the style, and want a versatile stick, get an Alpha

I bought my Alphas when I was playing a lot of Star Citizen, and I now use one of them exclusively to play DCS World. That's a matter of personnal tastes, so take it with a grain of salt, but IMHO it is the best grip I ever had, even with my "normal" hands (Yes, hand rest adjustment, I love you)

16 minutes ago, Sciacud said:

Why? It's not for the name or LEDs lights only (which you can disable from software):

1. The Virpil factory itself said it in description of the stick in  their official website "Tailored for space-sim pilots, yet versatile enough for any fixed or rotary wing pilot."

2. Then you can have a look at the Ordering Process Live of Virpil website here where you can see that many customers, but not everybody, buy 2 Alpha grips (left and right) at once, That is for spacesim.

3. Last but not the least, the top of the stick that resembles the head of the Alien movie monster 🙂

Obviously all these reasons don't mean that Alpha grip could be versatile enough for any fixed or rotary wing pilot. In fact I'm seriously thinking about buying it, but I need to know your opinion guys.

Thanks

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ashayar said:

Well not really difficult:

• If you want a replica, don't buy an Alpha
  • If you don't care about the replica if you like the style, and want a versatile stick, get an Alpha

I bought my Alphas when I was playing a lot of Star Citizen, and I now use one of them exclusively to play DCS World. That's a matter of personnal tastes, so take it with a grain of salt, but IMHO it is the best grip I ever had, even with my "normal" hands (Yes, hand rest adjustment, I love you)

Yep, couldn’t agree more. Replica grips are fine for the aircraft they are replicating, but usually not vert very useful if you fly many modules. 

Apart from its functionality, the Alpha just feels great in my hands. Very tactile with all buttons etc. easily reachable. As I said above, it is the best flight stick I have owned, and I have owned quite a few. But, it’s all down to personal taste. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:32 PM, dburne said:

I do like the grip though but also have the VKB Ultimate Grip on my stick and really like it - a lot. I was thinking about getting the new Virpil stick just to compare but did not want to lose out on my metal grip, but now Virpil is offering that also. So it is indeed tempting. Think I will wait a bit though - have spent enough already this year really. Plus there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Gunfighter Mk III Pro with Ultimate Grip. I like the Virpil software/firmware process better, but not like I need any of their softwares that much once set up.

I'm in the process of deciding on a stick and  two main contenders are the Virpil Alpha Prime and the VKB MCG Ultimate.  Exciting times!  It sounds like you prefer the MCG Ultimate grip over the normal Alpha.  If you don't mind, could you tell me why?  FWIW, I was just gifted the CM3, I love tactile, clicky things, and heavy, precise moving things.

1 hour ago, Smashy said:

I'm in the process of deciding on a stick and  two main contenders are the Virpil Alpha Prime and the VKB MCG Ultimate.  Exciting times!  It sounds like you prefer the MCG Ultimate grip over the normal Alpha.  If you don't mind, could you tell me why?  FWIW, I was just gifted the CM3, I love tactile, clicky things, and heavy, precise moving things.

No I would not say I like the Ultimate Grip better than the Alpha I have on my Collective, other than the fact the Ultimate is metal and the Alpha L Grip I have is plastic. I find the Alpha grip a little better ergonomically as buttons are a bit easier to reach versus my Ultimate Grip. But that feel of the Ultimate to me just feels so "quality" if you know what I mean, and that is just from the fact it is metal. Metal in the hand just feels so much better to me. Nothing more than that really.

Virpil Alpha Prime though - heck yeah if I needed a stick today I would definitely give it a go. Might even order the left hand version to put on my Virpil Collective at some point. Not quite ready to replace my Gunfighter Base though with Ultimate Grip at this time. Need to hold back on spending for a bit now anyways.

Edited by dburne

Don B

@dburne - thanks for the feedback.  It seems a common theme among most people who have owned both VKB and Virpil is that it both are great products and it comes down to personal preference.  At this point, I think I'll give the Alpha Prime a shot along with the new CM3 base.  Looking forward to the upgrade!

• Like 1

What made me decide against the Alpha Prime was the lack of a proper Trimm Hat. I like to have one nice big Hat like on the Warthog.

Edited by acerus77
  • Like 1

Win7 64bit Ultimate / MSI MPOWER Z97 / i7 4790K@4,4GHz / Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E / EVGA GTX980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 / 16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 / Creative SB X-Fi / Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSD / 1TB WD Black Caviar HD / Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W / Be Quiet Base 800 / TM Warthog HOTAS / TrackIR 5

5 minutes ago, acerus77 said:

What made me decide against the Alpha Prime was the lack of a proper Trimm Hat. I like to have one nice big Hat like on the Warthog.

I totally get it.  I'm using a CH Fighterstick and it's going to be hard giving up the four hats in the F-16 layout.  However, the Alpha does provide a metric ton of more functionality over my trusty CH stick that I think it will be a significant improvement.  I've been messing with the Virpil software and have found a way to configure the ministick on the CM3 Throttle to send button presses (thanks @imacken!)  This would allow me to use the Alpha's ministick as a pseudo-hat if I still wanted a fourth hat on the stick.

• Like 1