New CM3 owner looking for stick suggestions

Smashy

My awesome GF just got me a CM3 to replace my trusty CH Pro Throttle and I'm now looking to get something of similar capability and quality to replace my CH Fighterstick.  I'm looking at the VKB MCE and MCE Ultimate along with the Virpil Alpha, Alpha Prime and MongoosT-50CM2.  I'll be using these controller on the desktop for now until I can figure out a good mounting solution for my room.

I'm looking for suggestions or things to look for when shopping for a new high-end stick.  Thanks!

• Like 1

You can't go wrong with Virpil WarBRD base and Constellation Alpha grip.  It is expensive, but you will be hard pressed to find a better built HOTAS.  I have owned their joystick base for seven years and first iteration of throttle for five years.  Both are still working flawlessly and have not required any maintenance.

By going with Virpil, you only need to learn one software suite since you already have a CM3.  If you are in the US then you can order through the US store.  Faster and cheaper shipping.

Edited by Tshark

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

48 minutes ago, Tshark said:

You can't go wrong with Virpil WarBRD base and Constellation Alpha grip.  It is expensive, but you will be hard pressed to find a better built HOTAS.  I have owned their joystick base for seven years and first iteration of throttle for five years.  Both are still working flawlessly and have not required any maintenance.

By going with Virpil, you only need to learn one software suite since you already have a CM3.  If you are in the US then you can order through the US store.  Faster and cheaper shipping.

Honest question. Why would you choose the Warbird base over their new one? 

1 hour ago, Tshark said:

After firing up Virpil's software and feeling a bit overwhelmed, I was thinking the same thing about sticking with a single brand.  😄

I am in the US so that's another big nod for Virpil.

edit:  the one thing I like about the VKB is the ability to have four hats on the stick.  That makes sense for modules like the the A-10C and Viper.

Edited by Smashy

14 minutes ago, Smashy said:

After firing up Virpil's software and feeling a bit overwhelmed, I was thinking the same thing about sticking with a single brand.  😄

I am in the US so that's another big nod for Virpil.

I've only used the Virpil software to update the firmware and calibrate the axis.

Here's a tutorial that is simple and easy to follow. 

Dang....I forgot to answer the question in the OP. lol

I bought the Constellation Alpha R grip to go with my Virpil throttle (CM3) and have been very impressed with the quality of the gear. I'd highly recommend both items (and a set of rudder pedals) to anyone that wants quality gear that will last years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Honest question. Why would you choose the Warbird base over their new one? 

Well, there are 2 good reasons.  Firstly, price. The new CM3 base is approximately 400 Euros plus shipping and the WarBRD base is about 240 Euros.  Secondly, the CM3 has to be mounted, whereas the WarBRD can be used on a desktop.

(I am speaking as a WarBRD owner with the CM3 on order.)

• Like 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

9 minutes ago, imacken said:

Well, there are 2 good reasons.  Firstly, price. The new CM3 base is approximately 400 Euros plus shipping and the WarBRD base is about 240 Euros.  Secondly, the CM3 has to be mounted, whereas the WarBRD can be used on a desktop.

Hey @imacken - are you using the WarBRD on the desktop?  What grip are you pairing it with?  If it's the Alpha, do you find the lack of a fourth 4-way hat limiting?  I'm guessing I could find homes for the A-10/F-16 trim, DMS, TMS, CMS hats between a stick and my CM3 throttle.

Sorry for the flood of questions, new owner of the throttle and trying to decide on what stick to pair it with is big decision.  I'm considering the Alpha Prime + WarBRD base.

If you have the space for an extension, go for the CM3 base, which is better suited to extensions than the Warbird base.

Grip is upto you.  The Virpil bases are compatible with not only their own grips, but also the TM F16 and F18 grips.  For all that, I've tried both of the TM grips and now use an Alpha.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks. Didn't consider the desk thing.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Smashy said:

Hey @imacken - are you using the WarBRD on the desktop?  What grip are you pairing it with?  If it's the Alpha, do you find the lack of a fourth 4-way hat limiting?  I'm guessing I could find homes for the A-10/F-16 trim, DMS, TMS, CMS hats between a stick and my CM3 throttle.

Sorry for the flood of questions, new owner of the throttle and trying to decide on what stick to pair it with is big decision.  I'm considering the Alpha Prime + WarBRD base.

No, I’m using with a Virpil desk mount, but initially I had it on a desktop and it was fine. My current preferred stick is the Alpha, and there is a 4th 4-way hat as the analogue mini stick can be used as buttons if you want. DCS allows both buttons and axes on the mini stick, so it’s win-win!

• Thanks 1

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I am using the CM3 throttle and an Alpha stick.  I just mapped the A-10 and here is what I had left over:

00_A-10C_KS_Day_07.png

00_A-10C_KS_Day_06.png

As you can see, I still have quite a few buttons I can map to other items.

• Thanks 1

i9 10900KF 3.70GHz (5.30GHz Turbo), MSI RTX 4090 OC 24GB, ASUS Z590-E GAMING Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, 2TB Intel 660P M.2 NVMe SSD, Virpil Alpha Joystick, T-50CM3 Throttle, MFG Xwind rudder pedals, Pimax Crystal VR.

... hummm .. nobody told Smashy something about VBK Ultimate. ...hummm....

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

Maybe because they didn't rate as highly as the Alphas, or maybe no one has tried VKB Ultimate.

I owned the VKB MCG with GFIII non-ultimate, and it just didn't feel as good in the hand as the Alpha.  Buttons/hats were much more difficult to reach and that wouldn't change with the Ultimate.

37 minutes ago, imacken said:

Maybe because they didn't rate as highly as the Alphas, or maybe no one has tried VKB Ultimate.

I owned the VKB MCG with GFIII non-ultimate, and it just didn't feel as good in the hand as the Alpha.  Buttons/hats were much more difficult to reach and that wouldn't change with the Ultimate.

Thanks for the feedback

CPU i7 6700k MB Asus Z170 Pro Gaming RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz 32 GB Cooler Noctua NH-D15 Memory Samsung 970 EVO Plus Nvme 500Gb + Crucial MX500 500GB GPU MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z PSU Corsair TX650 Stick VKB Mcg Ultimate + 200mm extension + Monstertech long mount + Virpil Mongoos T-50CM3 throttle + VBK  MK.IV T-Rudder Head tracker Delanclip Headset Sennheiser PC350

11 hours ago, imacken said:

I went with the Alpha Prime and CM3 base.  The only thing I liked about the MCG over the Alpha Prime was the swappable ministick and hats.  I would like to have 4 hats on the stick.  I did try configuring the ministick on my CM3 throttle to send button presses and that will conceivably be a suitable workaround on the Alpha.  The Alpha's ergonomics did look better to me and that's important since I have medium-ish hands.  I also envision the scroll wheel encoder being pretty useful in a videogame context.  Finally, while it's a generalization and personal preference, I like Western HOTAS designs over their Russian counterparts and the fictional but Western-looking (IMO) Alpha did speak to me louder than the MCG or T50CM2 grips.  Oh, also finally, since I already have a Virpil throttle it'll be simpler for me to learn a single management software tool vs two tools.  And lastly finally, Virpil might be a better option for the US guys in terms of support with the opening of their physical store here.  At least that's the hope.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2022 at 3:36 AM, Smashy said:

I like Western HOTAS designs over their Russian counterparts

It all depends on which modules you fly and personal preference: personally I'm very happy with the CM2 grip since I find that "Russian controls" work better with Western modules than "Western controls" do for Russian modules.

• Like 1
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...

Vkb MCG Ultimate. There is no better stick: best base; cams and springs are easily swapped out; dry clutches; swappable HATs ( comes with 2x swappable HATs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryzen9 5800X3D, Gigabyte Aorus X570 Elite, 32Gb Gskill Trident DDR4 3600 CL16, Samsung 990 Pr0 1Tb Nvme Gen4, Evo860 1Tb 2.5 SSD and Team 1Tb 2.5 SSD, MSI Suprim X RTX4090 , Corsair h115i Platinum AIO, NZXT H710i case, Seasonic Focus 850W psu, Gigabyte Aorus AD27QHD Gsync 1ms IPS 2k monitor 144Mhz, Track ir4, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate w/extension, Virpil T50 CM3 Throttle, Saitek terrible pedals, RiftS