DCS: F-14 Development Update - AIM-54 Phoenix Improvements & Overhaul - Guided Discussion

Cobra847

5 hours ago, Karon said:

I think my longest was 120-130 nm. It is not a meaningful test at all though, as any minimal offset defeats the Phoenix.

I dont know if you used any more advanced tools to calculate traveled distance. In Tacview I just added waypoint on spot where 54 ejected the F14 (40k ft, 0.9-1.1 mach) and measured straight line to the 54 impacting target (or spot where 54 gives up tracking and simply falls down ballistically) and that distance was about 80ish nm. So I talk more slant range, as its much more useful for pilot to determine when in range 

Edited by The_Tau

On 5/1/2023 at 8:33 AM, Schmidtfire said:

Was the AIM-54C Phoenix really this... bad? IRL the missile could be used against a low level cruise missile. In DCS a Phoenix missile
that go active can pretty much be defeated with a simple turn at a medium altitude. Not an expert here, just asking if it's performance
is realistic. Seeker is very easy to notch when it's coming down and terminal speed seems... on the low side for most medium level engagements.

Im all for the most realistic representation possible! Don't get me wrong 🙂  just wondering if all the press about the AIM-54 greatness is embellished?
It's somewhat of a paper tiger in DCS (except non maneuvering aircraft, such as bombers). Against a human player? To a point it's almost better to carry AIM-7
and go for a close range STT shot. Anyways, only my observations without going into graphs and what not.

Problem is that IRL most of your opponents didn't know how to deal with the missile/radar. I.e. the first year or two of the iran iraq war. In DCS every players knows exactly what DCS mechanics to use to defeat it. 

Also IIRC the phoenix seeker was HPRF only, meaning problems when dealing with beaming/cold aircraft. But again, it was fine vs bombers/kingfish/cruise missiles etc coming right for ya.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

14 hours ago, tavarish palkovnik said:

Few more thoughts about Mk47 and/or Mk60. So AIM-54 is with start weight of 978 lbs (443 kg) and final of 602 lbs (273 kg). Means 170 kg of fuel. Total impulse is they said 97000 lbs (431477 N) and thrust (of some kind, I will take it as average) 4000 lbs (17793 N).

Two of several options what crosscut could present ->

1.jpg

First will give dual-thrust, second single thrust (or near to continuous thrust)

2.jpg

Such total impulse, with nozzle like it is, for me is not possible at sea-level, but only for high altitudes. Of course it is always nice to see big numbers (Americans simply like to do that), but it is also fair to explain such numbers. What DCS gives for these motors as thrust at sea level?  Not intention of anything, just to see are we near in thinking.

Our current DCS thrust values for the Mk47 motor is 13595 N for 27 seconds with a propellant mass of 163 kgs. The Mk60 motor has a thrust of 17793 N for 20.6 seconds with the same propellant mass.

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Our current DCS thrust values for the Mk47 motor is 13595 N for 27 seconds with a propellant mass of 163 kgs. The Mk60 motor has a thrust of 17793 N for 20.6 seconds with the same propellant mass.
Then in theory the mk47 is the better motor to have. Their total output is a 1000 N apart, 367,xxx vs 366,xxx but the mk60 starts decelerating 6.4 seconds earlier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks mates !

Both those two variants (numbers) are realistic and achievable. I've tried with my model (the second one with slots) to get something close, with two different burning rates

motor.jpg

And got one with 21 seconds and other with 26 seconds. In both 170 kg of fuel identical properties except burning rates. Values at sea level 343100 Ns (16338 N) and 323448 Ns (12440 N). There is some slight difference in total impulse but at 15km it is more or less equal 420881 Ns vs 419749 Ns

Also I've tried external ballistic with these numbers of thrust

T-t.jpg

v-t.jpg

Both options launched at 15km at 500 m/s (1,695 M), and then after first second of flight I've turned rockets in kinematic overload all their active time, to get altitude pick at 27km and stopped there. As you can see both variants managed it in 60 seconds and slower burning motor resulted with slightly more speed at the end

H-D.jpg 

Dashed lines are overloaded flight (angle of attack 4,6 deg and 4 deg respectively) and at the end of counting (27km, 60 seconds) difference in travel is slightly in benefit of faster burning motor. But these differences in speed and travel are really negligible 

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 9:38 PM, cheezit said:

To make things concrete, I think you will find the launch parameters denoted as "B" on the following diagram to be better than "C", and I think you will also find "A" better than "D":

YFRkDqZ.png

Where did you get this graph? Can I find similar ones somewhere with different loadouts or for different aircraft? I'd love to compare the Tomcats performance with something like the F-15 or especially the Super Hornet...

7 hours ago, eatthis said:

iv heard several pilots mention 54 was near hypersonic, anybody got anywhere near that in game? 

Yeah, no. You didn't read previous posts, did you?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

1 hour ago, draconus said:

Yeah, no. You didn't read previous posts, did you?

I must add that AIM-54C was advertised as Mach 5 capable to Congress at least once. Will the AIM-54 actually get to those speeds in normal engagements though? I don't think so.

• Like 3

-Tinkerer, Certified F-14 and AIM-54 Nut | Discord: @dsplayer

Setup: i7-8700k, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB 3066Mhz, Lots of Storage, Saitek/Logitech X56 HOTAS, TrackIR + TrackClipPro
Modules: F-14, F/A-18, JF-17, F-16C, Mirage 2000C, FC3, F-5E, Mi-24P, AJS-37, AV-8B, A-10C II, AH-64D, MiG-21bis, F-86F, MiG-19P, P-51D, Mirage F1, L-39, C-101, SA342M, Ka-50 III, Supercarrier, F-15E
Maps: Caucasus, Marianas, South Atlantic, Persian Gulf, Syria, Nevada

Mods I've Made: F-14 Factory Clean Cockpit Mod | Modern F-14 Weapons Mod | Iranian F-14 Weapons Pack | F-14B Nozzle Percentage Mod + Label Fix | AIM-23 Hawk Mod for F-14 

Still getting many instances of the AIM-54 not going into a loft profile when firing on targets over 35nm away. The missile simply flies straight and level towards the target regardless of  flying above 35k. Almost always in TWS but I've experienced it in STT as well. I've only tested in the AIM-54C, both Mk47 and Mk60.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

1 hour ago, CarbonFox said:

Still getting many instances of the AIM-54 not going into a loft profile when firing on targets over 35nm away. The missile simply flies straight and level towards the target regardless of  flying above 35k. Almost always in TWS but I've experienced it in STT as well. I've only tested in the AIM-54C, both Mk47 and Mk60.

Are you certain the ACM cover wasn't flipped up during those no loft shots?

Modules: F-14A/B | F-15C | F-16C | F/A-18C | SU-33 | Spitfire Mk IX | AH-64D | UH-1 | Super Carrier | Combined Arms | Persian Gulf | Syria | NTTR

Setup: VKB Gunfighter Mk.III F-14 CE HOTAS | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | MFG Crosswind V3 | Custom switch panel | Tek Creations F14 Display Panel | Custom F14 Left Vertical Console | Custom IR Tracker | Custom butt kicker

PC: i7 11700K | 64GB G-Skill DDR4 3600MHz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | DCS dedicated 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD | 3440x1440 144hz 34" ultrawide

7 hours ago, CarbonFox said:

More details might help, Tacview track if possible, or in absence of those, detailed description of the engagements? 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

17 hours ago, CarbonFox said:

I had this yesterday too with a shot over 50NM. When I was flying level the plane went straight ahead. Upon noticing A pulled up about 15 degrees and launched a second missile at the same target which then did loft though not as high as needed for this cold target. 

AMD Ryzen 5600G, RX7900 XTX, 48GB 27" 1440P monitor and Oculus Quest 2. WinWing Orion 2 w/ FA18 throttle, VKB Gladiator EVO w/ F14 grip, Logitech G rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, WinWing MFD and Voice Attack.

Planes: F14A/B Tomcat, mostly the B, F/A 18 C Hornet

Modules/ maps: Super carrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

I had this yesterday too with a shot over 50NM. When I was flying level the plane went straight ahead. Upon noticing A pulled up about 15 degrees and launched a second missile at the same target which then did loft though not as high as needed for this cold target. 
A 50nm shot at a cold target???

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dannyvandelft said:

A 50nm shot at a cold target???

I thought I'd try, he was already low and defensive. At that range the missile should definitaly loft up to above 80K ft but neither missiles did that. Missiles were fired within a minute apart.

AMD Ryzen 5600G, RX7900 XTX, 48GB 27" 1440P monitor and Oculus Quest 2. WinWing Orion 2 w/ FA18 throttle, VKB Gladiator EVO w/ F14 grip, Logitech G rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, WinWing MFD and Voice Attack.

I thought I'd try, he was already low and defensive. At that range the missile should definitaly loft up to above 80K ft but neither missiles did that. Missiles were fired within a minute apart.
Should've never fired that to begin with. A 50nm shot is for targets coming at you, at similar altitude. Moving away and at low altitude was never going to happen, no matter the loft profile.

• Like 3

After some more testing the main performance issues seems go be:

AWG-9 inability to hold tracks until missile goes active, combined with relatively low kinematics and easily defeated missile seeker.

Tested over and over in PvP multiplayer against other fighter sized aircraft. My verdict is that Phoenix is a near useless missile in that scenario. The pk under most conditions will be too low. From a realism standpoint it’s hard to reach a conclusion. If it suffers from DCS-isms, server lag, flawed missile code or if it’s actually right on the money in it’s representation. But unless running scripted PvE scenarios, it’s not something I would use if the target can A; get an RWR warning and B; pull >5g

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tweety777 said:

Guidance failure, jamming and low flying targets are the first 3 things that come to mind when missiles fail to loft. I have no idea how being outside max range and with low or negative closure would effect the shot. In this case the scenario seems to involve at least one. Was the target jamming as well?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

16 minutes ago, captain_dalan said:

Guidance failure, jamming and low flying targets are the first 3 things that come to mind when missiles fail to loft. I have no idea how being outside max range and with low or negative closure would effect the shot. In this case the scenario seems to involve at least one. Was the target jamming as well?

The target itself was not jamming, there was another target jamming (though that was not locked at that moment) within the radar range, not quite close to the locked target. The target was at 2k ft altitude, I suppose that qualifies as low flying? Guidance failure I can't rule out nor confirm.

3 hours ago, Dannyvandelft said:

Should've never fired that to begin with. A 50nm shot is for targets coming at you, at similar altitude. Moving away and at low altitude was never going to happen, no matter the loft profile.

I did see reports (from Karon) stating shots at 80NM with some kills as well. I didn't know that would only work when the target is coming towards you and flying at least somewhat high.

I did see reports (from Karon) stating shots at 80NM with some kills as well. I didn't know that would only work when the target is coming towards you and flying at least somewhat high.
Well that's because targets flying at you close the distance a lot faster than targets flying away. A shot made at 80nm with a MiG-25 flying at you at 1100 kts the missile might only fly 60nm before impact. If the target is flying away, it would actually have to fly 100nm to reach it. Just rough examples. And obviously high altitude air is a lot thinner. A missile fired at 40,000 feet will fly much further than a missile fired at 20,000 feet.

• Like 1

With the current missile I've killed an orbiting AWACS from 110nm away.

With the old Phoenix performance you could kill targets 60 nm away that were cold which was neat. 

At least in a pve scenario it's worth checking out since the missile lofts so aggressively

38 minutes ago, Panny said:

With the current missile I've killed an orbiting AWACS from 110nm away.

With the old Phoenix performance you could kill targets 60 nm away that were cold which was neat. 

At least in a pve scenario it's worth checking out since the missile lofts so aggressively

Do you mean to say that PVE MP is different then PVE scenario? I was in PVE MP when firing the 2 shots mentioned above but neither lofted much if at all. I have fired shots in MP where it lofted so aggresively that I passed under the missile while it was climbing up.