G2 Issues need help to find the cause

Delareon

Hey folks, 

im experiencing troubles with my G2. When im playing after some time i get a blue screen (not a crash, the screen is simply colored blue) and the picture seems to hanging. Then the Game continues to work. It just 2-3 Seconds, sometimes less, and i hear the sound of an unplugged and pluggin in of a Device. 
Most of the Times the Game recoveres but sometimes this means an DCS Crash. 

What i allready did was to get an powered USB Hub and i get a replacement for the cable of the G2 (the one with an extra Power Source) but this doesnt change anything. 
Now i try to get some ideas what to check to get the real cause. 

I have thought of checking the GPU Temperature, maybe i need a better cooling or maybe a BIOS Update? 

My Specs are as follows: 

RTX 3080 
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 
MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (MS-7C95)
64GB RAM
Windows 11

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I've experienced the with steamvr in the past when HAGS was enabled, be worth checking to see that it's off 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Same problem. I have the new v2 cable as well.

It's getting worse, I can't get through 30mins now without the screen flashing blue and resetting. DCS keeps running but I get kicked out of VR and back to the cliffhouse.

It's like it's momentarily losing connection, then regaining it.

I've tried multiple USB ports, turning off USB suspend... I'm getting SUPER fed up with this G2. It's a hot mess piece of garbage.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I would try to play another vr game maybe a demo game for a test. The G2 is not garbage I assure you as I’m gonna on 2 years with it. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2022 at 6:19 PM, Burt said:

I would try to play another vr game maybe a demo game for a test. The G2 is not garbage I assure you as I’m gonna on 2 years with it. 

It’s absolutely garbage. I’m glad for you that you got a good specimen, but believe me your experience is not typical.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yeah fair enough I have heard a few that has had cable issues so yes maybe a hit miss kinda thing. I wish I had a bad experience so I can move on to the Varjo thats for sure.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

43 minutes ago, Burt said:

Yeah fair enough I have heard a few that has had cable issues so yes maybe a hit miss kinda thing. I wish I had a bad experience so I can move on to the Varjo thats for sure.

Naw be happy with what you have...

:renske:

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Sigh.... Now basically unusable. After 30mins play, crash.

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to restore your DCS session? I get the blue screen, the headset resets, and I'm kicked out. But DCS is still running, and still thinks it's GTG. Any way to get WMR connected to DCS again without losing the current session? I could live with this if that's the case, but as it stands I can't do a 30 min liberation mission because as soon as this thing cuts out I can't continue!

Check the headset is set to not sleep and that HAGS is turned off.

Motherboard definitely supplying enough power for it?  Have you tested on a seperately powered pciE USB expansion card?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

10 minutes ago, Sandman1330 said:

Sigh.... Now basically unusable. After 30mins play, crash.

Has anyone figured out if it's possible to restore your DCS session? I get the blue screen, the headset resets, and I'm kicked out. But DCS is still running, and still thinks it's GTG. Any way to get WMR connected to DCS again without losing the current session? I could live with this if that's the case, but as it stands I can't do a 30 min liberation mission because as soon as this thing cuts out I can't continue!

Hello I just Got the G2 V2 Cable I was having Blue Screen and Crash. IF you have a Outdated Motherboard Firmware Bios You need to Update that first. I had the X570 Gamers x Motherboard that was the Root of this problem with the Cable. I Have a USB HUB and I HAVE a USB POWERED Internal USB and TYPE C PCIe x4 Card and still BOTH of them gave me the Blue screen. I was able to STOP it by using the HP TYPE C to TYPE A Adapter that came with the G2. I have Other Type C to A adapters but They would not POWER the Headset. I HAVE to plug the HP C to A USB into the Motherboard ONLY This is the only way for it to work. All My joysticks are plugged into the USB POWERED HUB. I removed the Internal card because It was just in the way after all of this. Good Luck

8 minutes ago, DishDoggie said:

Hello I just Got the G2 V2 Cable I was having Blue Screen and Crash. IF you have a Outdated Motherboard Firmware Bios You need to Update that first. I had the X570 Gamers x Motherboard that was the Root of this problem with the Cable. I Have a USB HUB and I HAVE a USB POWERED Internal USB and TYPE C PCIe x4 Card and still BOTH of them gave me the Blue screen. I was able to STOP it by using the HP TYPE C to TYPE A Adapter that came with the G2. I have Other Type C to A adapters but They would not POWER the Headset. I HAVE to plug the HP C to A USB into the Motherboard ONLY This is the only way for it to work. All My joysticks are plugged into the USB POWERED HUB. I removed the Internal card because It was just in the way after all of this. Good Luck

Thank you for your reply.

I'm in the same boat: Motherboard USB-C doesn't work, I can ONLY use one specific bank of USB A with the adapter. BIOS is up to date. I also already have the V2 cable, but I suspect it may be the issue again as I've had it for awhile now. I don't want to buy a new cable for over $100, and it's out of warranty, so we'll see...

18 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Check the headset is set to not sleep and that HAGS is turned off.

Motherboard definitely supplying enough power for it?  Have you tested on a seperately powered pciE USB expansion card?

I don't even have the option for HAGS (seems like it's not a thing with AMD cards, I did alot of searching to try and find it, but it's not even present on my system).

As for powered hubs, I have the V2 cable which is supposed to not need that. Maybe I'll try a powered hub, just to see, but I'm not optimistic. I think I have a bad cable.

Though interestingly, by finding the Reverb in Device Manager, I've come across a setting "allow windows to shut off this device to save power." It was enabled. I've now disabled it, we'll have to see if that makes a difference....

Edited by Sandman1330
  • Like 2

On 9/21/2022 at 3:56 PM, Sandman1330 said:

It’s absolutely garbage. I’m glad for you that you got a good specimen, but believe me your experience is not typical.

His experience is typical...

No need to try to overinflate issues YOU are having and try to pass them off as the norm.  Sorry you're having trouble but the device is great :).  I hope you get it working.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

1 hour ago, Sandman1330 said:

I don't even have the option for HAGS (seems like it's not a thing with AMD cards, I did alot of searching to try and find it, but it's not even present on my system).

As for powered hubs, I have the V2 cable which is supposed to not need that. Maybe I'll try a powered hub, just to see, but I'm not optimistic. I think I have a bad cable.

Though interestingly, by finding the Reverb in Device Manager, I've come across a setting "allow windows to shut off this device to save power." It was enabled. I've now disabled it, we'll have to see if that makes a difference....

HAGS is in start>settings>system>display>graphics settings.

As far as I'm aware it's hardware independant (at least on modern GPUs, I don't think it's an nvidia only thing.

Fingers crossed, windows does have a nasty habit of changing settings when it updates!

1 hour ago, Sandman1330 said:

I still have the old G2 cable so I don't know for sure, but the Reverb still has a pretty high power requirement on its USB connection.  I haven't found powered, external USB hubs to make any difference with that.  They still don't supply enough juice to run everything reliably.  But, what I did find, way back in the Oculus Rift days, was that a powered USB card that plugs into your motherboard's PCIex4 port as well as an SATA power cable from your power supply overcomes USB power consumption issues with VR headsets.  Its a problem that all VR headsets have to one degree or another, and who it causes problems for depends on your rig, as well as how many things you're already running on your motherboard USB ports.

This is what I bought that solved my Oculus Rift issues, as well as solving my Reverb G2 issues when I installed an RTX3090 that no longer has the built-in, powered USB-C port like the 2080s did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you get one of these, just make sure you remember to plug an unused SATA power plug for your rig's power supply into it, and DO NOT install the drivers the instructions tell you to download.  The card actually works with the default drivers that Windows will install for it...it doesn't work with the card manufacturer's drivers.

Also, forgive me if you have already said so, but does the G2 only have problems with DCS?  Or does it have problems with other VR titles as well?  Are you going through SteamVR for WMR to use the G2?  If you are, there is a possibility something got borked in your SteamVR installation.  I had that happen one time, and that also would cause random crashes and blue screens.  I reinstalled SteamVR and it fixed all of those issues when I had them.  Just look up how to do it on Steam's support site.  They walk you through how to reinstall it, while retaining all of your library titles and game settings.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

6 hours ago, M1Combat said:

His experience is typical...

No need to try to overinflate issues YOU are having and try to pass them off as the norm.  Sorry you're having trouble but the device is great :).  I hope you get it working.

I disagree. 5 mins of searching these forums / Reddit / discord etc will reveal many complaints. Just google Reverb G2 blue screen crashing. It’s been ongoing for years. Lots of incompatibility issues with AMD motherboards too.

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

HAGS is in start>settings>system>display>graphics settings.

As far as I'm aware it's hardware independant (at least on modern GPUs, I don't think it's an nvidia only thing.

Fingers crossed, windows does have a nasty habit of changing settings when it updates!

Thanks, but that setting is physically not present on my system. Google tells me that’s typical of AMD cards.

6 hours ago, eaglecash867 said:

I still have the old G2 cable so I don't know for sure, but the Reverb still has a pretty high power requirement on its USB connection.  I haven't found powered, external USB hubs to make any difference with that.  They still don't supply enough juice to run everything reliably.  But, what I did find, way back in the Oculus Rift days, was that a powered USB card that plugs into your motherboard's PCIex4 port as well as an SATA power cable from your power supply overcomes USB power consumption issues with VR headsets.  Its a problem that all VR headsets have to one degree or another, and who it causes problems for depends on your rig, as well as how many things you're already running on your motherboard USB ports.

This is what I bought that solved my Oculus Rift issues, as well as solving my Reverb G2 issues when I installed an RTX3090 that no longer has the built-in, powered USB-C port like the 2080s did.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you get one of these, just make sure you remember to plug an unused SATA power plug for your rig's power supply into it, and DO NOT install the drivers the instructions tell you to download.  The card actually works with the default drivers that Windows will install for it...it doesn't work with the card manufacturer's drivers.

Also, forgive me if you have already said so, but does the G2 only have problems with DCS?  Or does it have problems with other VR titles as well?  Are you going through SteamVR for WMR to use the G2?  If you are, there is a possibility something got borked in your SteamVR installation.  I had that happen one time, and that also would cause random crashes and blue screens.  I reinstalled SteamVR and it fixed all of those issues when I had them.  Just look up how to do it on Steam's support site.  They walk you through how to reinstall it, while retaining all of your library titles and game settings.

Lots of good advice to parse here. I have an old powered card from my own Rift days that I might put in and try, for testing sake. I only use it for DCS these days, so can’t say for sure if it’s across the board, and I’m using OpenXR.

It is just strange that it was fine for months after getting my V2 cable, then this issue started coming around once in awhile, and has increased in frequency to regularly now. Nothing else (hardware) has changed, drivers are always a wildcard but the way it started slow and came more frequent leads me to think it’s another cable issue.

Ah it appears to be driver dependant, AMD simply don't enable it; probably for the best, some problems it fixes, some it causes😄

It could be as silly as your motherboard not being able to supply enough power to the USB circuitry, whether that be through hardware degredation, USB saturation or PSU breakdown.

Of course it could just be bad luck with the cable but I think cable errors typically show up with an error code in WMRP rather than a hard crash.  I started getting 7-13 errors with mine, had 2 weeks of warranty left so HP sent out a V2 cable which didn't help so they replaced the headset and it's been fine since (I now have both cables so can always go back to the V1 cable in case of an emergency).  I tried a powered pciE USB expansion card and it made no difference in my instance because the headset was dead in the water - didn't even have the HP logo light up!

I have had similar crashes to what you describe, however it was pretty rare. It would be interesting to see if the USB power states and WMR sleep settings make any difference.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, edmuss said:

It would be interesting to see if the USB power states and WMR sleep settings make any difference.

Yeah I’ve turned off all of those. The only one I found yesterday that’s new is the “allow windows to turn off this device to save power” option buried in device manager. We will see if maybe that helps.

Other than that, yesterday I upgraded to newer beta AMD drivers (they were up to date on the stable branch, but I just wanted some kind of change in the driver to see if it makes a difference). I have a few other troubleshooting things to try, like going back to my V1 cable, but I’m running out of ideas.

• Like 1

It is True with AMD Graphics Cards "HAGS" is not in the Windows setting. You have it in the Radeon Software program for your card. Strange but true. I went nuts looking for it at first. ALSO if you are using XR Toolkit Companion it might make a difference if you set it as Disabled  I no longer use it. And I also rolled my AMD Graphics Drivers back to 22.5.1 it might help too. True on the above Make sure you set your Screen to never go to sleep same with all settings in the Power management in windows. I use 11 and it did do a update and reset my power management back to sleep setting so I had to re do them again. I forgot about that.

Edited by DishDoggie

11 minutes ago, DishDoggie said:

It is True with AMD Graphics Cards "HAGS" is not in the Windows setting. You have it in the Radeon Software program for your card. Strange but true. I went nuts looking for it at first. ALSO if you are using XR Toolkit Companion it might make a difference if you set it as Disabled  I no longer use it. And I also rolled my AMD Graphics Drivers back to 22.5.1 it might help too. True on the above Make sure you set your Screen to never go to sleep same with all settings in the Power management in windows. I use 11 and it did do a update and reset my power management back to sleep setting so I had to re do them again. I forgot about that.

Interesting that it's set as an option in the AMD driver itself, @Sandman1330 it would be worth trying to find it and check the status, the blue screen crashes for me happened with HAGS on.

I remember having issues with my G2 when I first got it. It worked better when I plugged it into a USB 3.2 Gen2 "Type-C" with a Data Transfer speed of 10Gbps " No power share "  verses a USB Gen 1 with 5 Gbps with power share. At least it did on my rig. Never looked back. 

Edited by Burt

Start Date April 2020 

6 hours ago, DishDoggie said:

Interesting, I still can't find it in the AMD Adrenaline software. Can you give me a steer on where you found it?

I didn't say there are no issues friend :)...  People have issues with everything.  What was said is that having a good experience was not typical...  Well yes it is.  The absolute VAST majority of people don't have problems.  That's what "typical" means.  "most common" etc...  But there are also plenty of folks that do have problems 😉 

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)