[ATTN ALL DEVS] F-111A,B & D "AARDVARK" - WITH ENGINEERING DATA DUMP, MANY FILES

SOLIDKREATE

F-111 AARDVARK ENGINEERING DATA DUMP: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IeYaBiIWGPMOa-986jdP9WWyNT3SLd7y/view?usp=sharing

F-111A-Full-Load.jpg

The F-111 should be in this SIM becuase has had a very long service life and has seen many conflicts that would give us enjoyment for years to come. I have inclkuded flight manuals for the A,B & D models as well as NASA Flight Test Data.

@Rick50

Edited by SOLIDKREATE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 6

• SOLIDKREATE changed the title to [ATTN ALL DEVS] F-111A,B & D "AARDVARK" - WITH ENGINEERING DATA DUMP, MANY FILES

Agreed, good idea!

As you pointed out, several conflicts. Only two users, USAF and RAAF, but interesting!

as a module, it could complement the Tornado Module recently announced. Which brings to mind whether the SU-24 Fencer might also be worthwhile too.

If an F-111 and A-6 modules sell well, that could lead to future possibilities like the B-52 or Tupolev Bear.

Which F-111 variant do you think ought to be the subject of a module?

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:08 AM, Rick50 said:

Probably historically relevant either A/E from Vietnam war and operation in Kambodia or "F", final variant with powerfull engines and higher flight performance used from mid 1970s, through 1980s, taking part in El Dorado Canyon operation, up to Gulf War 1991.

F-111F being the best variant overall and F-111A/E being the best in relation to its timeframe opponents/interceptors/SAMs capabilities. Both would be equally exciting.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 11:08 PM, Rick50 said:

Personally the F-111F circa 80s-early 90s (i.e El Dorado Canyon/Gulf War spec) as I feel it's more relevant to DCS right now.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Personally the F-111F circa 80s-early 90s as I feel it's more relevant to DCS right now.

Yeah, for me this is the answer in DCS for just about anything. Although, in F-111s case I guess I'd be semi happy with a Nam era version at least, but I vastly prefer a later one as it's a better fleshed out, and imo plain more interesting era for DCS.

• Like 1

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Agreed, the F would be more flexible as it could do both low-level and medium-level strikes (with its ability to carry the Pave Tack pod).

• Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

On 9/25/2022 at 5:08 PM, Rick50 said:

I really can't pick one, I can pick 2 but not one. The two versions would be the E and the F. They both represent different stages of the F-111's career the E was the definitive Vietnam era, and the F is the final version used by the USAF. I'd want the Vietnam era vark first unless they were a twofer pack 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, upyr1 said:

I really can't pick one, I can pick 2 but not one. The two versions would be the E and the F. They both represent different stages of the F-111's career the E was the definitive Vietnam era, and the F is the final version used by the USAF. I'd want the Vietnam era vark first unless they were a twofer pack 

Yeah I think a "twofer" would have to be the way to go. I'd pay the $80 note or even $100 if it's got everything. The Persian Gulf is already waiting for this bird.

Found this:

F-111 Aardvark: a twin-engine, tactical aircraft with a crew of two-a pilot and a weapons system operator (WSO). Designed for long range, heavy payloads, and low-altitude penetration in all weather conditions using inertial navigation and terrainfollowing radar, the F-1 1 1 is capable of radar bombing from all altitudes.

Two versions of the F-111 were used in the Gulf War: the F-111E with analog avionics and the F-lllF with digital avionics. The F-lllF has improved turbofan engines and was equipped with the Pave Tack infrared target acquisition and laser designation pod; the pod permitted precision attacks with laser-guided bombs (LGBS) from all altitudes, day or night. The F-lllF is also equipped to deliver the infrared (IR) and electro-optical GBU-15, a glide bomb controlled by the wSo by a datalink hook-up between the delivery aircraft and the weapon.

12* l3 Range and logistic considerations dictated smaller than maximum bomb loads in Desert Stom.’‘ [DELETED].” The F-111 first flew on 20 December 1964 and achieved initial operational capability (IW) in 1968. A total of 461 F-Ills were built between 1967 and 1976; of these, approximately 325 were in service in 1991. Salient F-111 contributions to Desert Storm included the following: All-weather night attacks against point and area targets to support the strategic bombing campaign.

F-1 1 1s flew 912 strikes against targets such as airfields, aircraft, and support facilities; hardened aircraft shelters; command, control, communications and intelligence facilities; bunkers; nuclear, biological, and chemical war- ‘*(S) The F-11 IF was the only aircraft used in Desert Storm that could deliver the GBU-15. The GBU-15 came in two versions, electro-optical for daylight use and infrared for night. [DELETED]. ‘3Desert Score, July 1991, p 37. I4As explained above, heavier bomb loads cut into range and fuel margins. ”(S) USCENTAF Combat Plans Handour, “F-111 Standard Conventional Loads [DELETED]. (SCLS),” p 10-1. 42 fare facilities; bridges; and air defense assets.

I6 Many of these missions were conducted in adverse weather conditions; sortie lengths averaged 3 hours or more. The Pave Tack FLlR system proved particularly effective in night attacks with LGBs. Support of ground forces. The F-1 1 1F was used for battlefield preparation in the KTO; its significant antiarmor missions were known as “tank-plinking.” It flew 1,804 antiarmor strikes using predominantly 500-pound laser-guided GBU- 12s.’’ Scud hunting;. F-I11Fs flew sixty-nine strikes to support antiScud operations, dropping laser-guided bombs on road culverts and CBU-89 Gator mines around road culverts suspected of being Scud hide-sites.

18 The F-1 11 force committed to Desert Storm flew over 2,881 sorties without loss and struck 3,225 targets.” F-lllFs were responsible for forty-six percent of the LGB precision strikes in the strategic air campaign.20 The relatively long range of the F-111 was a significant source of tactical flexibility in the air campaign: Taif-based F-1llFs could be used in the KTO without air refueling and could attack targets in northern Iraq without exposing the tankers to Iraqi defenses. Incirlikbased F-1 1 1Es added flexibility by attacking targets in northern Iraq, thereby releasing other aircraft to concentrate on targets from Baghdad south to the KTO. On the last day of the war, two F-1 1 1Fs released 4,700-pound hard-target-penetrating, laser-guided GBU-28s against the 16F-IIIFs flew 757 and F-IIIEs flew 155 strikes.

”(S/NF/WN/NC) Ibid. ‘*(S/NF/WN/NC) Ibid. ?he 64 F-1 1 IFs based at Taif Air Base, Saudia Arabia, flew 2,423 sorties striking 2,802 targets, and the 26 F-l 1 IEs, based at lncirlik Air Base, Turkey, (part of EUCOMsupported Operation Proven Force) flew 458 sorties striking 423 targets. (U) GWAPS Statistical Compendium, Tables 92 and 93, “F-1 I I W-1 I IF USAF Sorties by Mission Type,” and Table 177, “Strikes by AIF Categories.” ”(U) GwAPS Statistical Compendium, Table 183, “Precision-Guided Munition (ffiM) Strikes by AIF Categories.” (U) GWAPS Statistical Compendium, Table 177, “Strikes by AIF Categories.” 43 North Taji command bunker with apparent success?’

F-1 11Fs also destroyed the oil pumping manifold off the Kuwaiti coast with electrooptically guided GBU-15 standoff bombs?2 Iraqi forces were using the manifold to pump oil into the Persian Gulf. During Desert Storm, the F-111 mission-capable rate rose eight percent above peacetime levels to eight-five per~ent.2~ F-Ills flew two-aircraft formations as the basic fighting element, combined with other elements to form flights of four aircraft. Attack formations (packages) against point and area targets varied in size up to thirty-two aircraft, and many missions were flown without suppression of enemy air defense (SEAD) assets for pr0tection.

2~ The aircraft used lowaltitude tactics for the first three days of Desert Storm and released mostly precision-guided munitions against airfield complexes. After transitioning to medium-altitude tactics, the aircraft flew in large packages, used multiple attack headings, and employed altitude and time differences to avoid midair collisions; attack times were compressed to fifteen minutes or less.2s* 26 Tank-plinking missions were flown at medium altitude. They were each armed with four GBU-12s. Tanks, hotter than the surrounding terrain immediately after sunset, were found by using the IR Pave Tack pod. [DELETED] F7 [DELETED] ?8 [DELETED].

The F-lllF carried 2 AIM-9s plus one of the following munition loads during Operation Desert Storm: eight to twelve 500-pound MK-82s, two to four 2,000-pound MK-84s, two to four 500-pound ”A description of the GBU-28 deep penetration bomb is discussed under the 22~~, Conduct of the Persian Gulf War, Annex T, April 1992, p T-70. 23Desert Score, p 37. 24(S/NF/WN/NC) Tactical Analysis Bulletin, Volume 91-2, Jul 1991, pp 7-2 and 7-9. 25(S/NF/WN/NC) Ibid. 26Attacking aircraft deconflicted in the target area (i.e., avoided midair collisions and weapons effects of other aircraft in the attack group) by maintaining sufficient lateral or vertical distances from other attacking aircraft or flying at set time intervals. “Special Purpose One-of-a-Kind Munitions” section in this report. 27(S/NF/WN/NC) Tactical Analysis Bulletin, Vol 9 1-2, p 7- 1 1. 28(S/NF/WN/NC) Ibid. 44 GBU-l2s, two to four 2,000-pound GBU-lOs, two to four 2,000-pound GBU-24s, one 4,700 Ib GBU-28, eight cBU-87~~ eight CBU-89 Gators; eight to twelve CBU-52s, eight to twelve CBU-58/71s; eig

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You know, after participating  in other threads advocating for the B-1B and B-52H, I can see the desire for bomber/strike aircraft into DCS... but the F-111 seems to me more likely to be picked up as a dev project, more likely to get permissions from rights holders, and more likely  to complete into module.  And much  like WW2 "Pathfinder bombers", this might Paveway to more bombers! (see what I did there?)

I  was totally undecided about which variant, but you've managed to convince me the later model is worthwhile. I'm curious though, how much similarities/differences there are between the variants, other than the PaveTac  pod ?  I mean when the article mentions "digital cockpit", do they mean just the computers...  or do they mean a glass or partial glass cockpit???

As for future modules, I  do wonder if a Backfire TU-22 would generate enough interest? I'm starting to be inclined to think it might be popular enough... though I wonder how difficult  it might be to get enough documentation legally, and whether the Kremlin would be ok with it?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rick50 said:

You know, after participating  in other threads advocating for the B-1B and B-52H, I can see the desire for bomber/strike aircraft into DCS... but the F-111 seems to me more likely to be picked up as a dev project, more likely to get permissions from rights holders, and more likely  to complete into module.  And much  like WW2 "Pathfinder bombers", this might Paveway to more bombers! (see what I did there?)

I  was totally undecided about which variant, but you've managed to convince me the later model is worthwhile. I'm curious though, how much similarities/differences there are between the variants, other than the PaveTac  pod ?  I mean when the article mentions "digital cockpit", do they mean just the computers...  or do they mean a glass or partial glass cockpit???

As for future modules, I  do wonder if a Backfire TU-22 would generate enough interest? I'm starting to be inclined to think it might be popular enough... though I wonder how difficult  it might be to get enough documentation legally, and whether the Kremlin would be ok with it?

I think the later model just had better everything. Far more capable. I'm thinking maybe a flyable Su-24M or even an M2 could also be a thing. We already have a static version.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/27/2022 at 3:21 AM, bies said:

Probably historically relevant either A/E from Vietnam war and operation in Kambodia or "F", final variant with powerfull engines and higher flight performance used from mid 1970s, through 1980s, taking part in El Dorado Canyon operation, up to Gulf War 1991.

F-111F being the best variant overall and F-111A/E being the best in relation to its timeframe opponents/interceptors/SAMs capabilities. Both would be equally exciting.

I think the best bet would be a more expensive dual model package.  The A for vietnam as it was the only version to serve in Vietnam and the F with the more powerful engines and ability to employ PGMs like the laser guided bombs.  That gives you realism for a Vietnam map, and the most modern version for First Gulf War style missions. I'd pay $80 or more for a dual model package if it was done on the same level as the F-14A/B.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

So for the record, I support F-111 module. And the B-1B and B-52 requests.

However. other possibilities could include the TU-22 Backfire, Tupolev Bear, Boeing B-47...

The B-47 could be interesting owing to it's history of toss bombing, it's recon missions, and just generally learning about the first large jet, and how so many of their crews perished in a flash.

all had their place in the cold war, and two Tupolev's are still a major factor even today. Maybe that would complicate matters to get permissions for full modules.

That might mean a "free mod medium fidelity" might be the best way to go? You can make it "pretty realistic" but not "3 to 6 workstations with every button and knob" workload to make and "fly" with. Don't need permissions, and if information is received by word of mouth, well so be it.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Migratingcoconut said:

I would buy the F-111 just to fly it, I really love the way it looks, its size, and how it flexes. As someone who loves ground pounding, even better. Also didn't it kill more tanks than the A-10A in desert storm, at least for a time?

I believe that's true, owing to a couple of things: totally permissible airspace (at least after the first two days), the tasking of Warthogs to go hunt SCUD launchers, and with the Aardvark, they could just plink away with LGB's and take out the heaviest Iraqi tanks with modest pricing. At least, that was the impression I got from the air war after action report prepared and distributed by the CIA that I read in Aviation Leak and Spaced Technologicles... a rather famous document, in part because it shaped airforces for decades afterward, probably still does even today!