Will this map be rough on my RAM?

Diesel_Thunder

The screenshots of Normandy 2.0 look amazing! Looking forward to another area to fly my warbirds.

The big question in my mind, is how hard is this going to hit my PC? I ask that because for me Syria runs marginally in single player, and horribly in multiplayer even when I drop the graphics settings to low.

I really want to consider getting the new Normandy map, but my experience with Syria makes me hesitate a bit.

EDIT: This post was made before I upgraded to my current PC. My old one ran 32GB DDR3, an AMD FX-8120 with a GTX-980 GPU.

Edited by Diesel_Thunder

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Since you maxed out your RAM I think on that motherboard, adding more is not going to happen. 

You should expect similar performance. Map could be smaller but more detailed I think. 

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 5:00 PM, Beirut said:

I'm toying with the idea of 64 to replace my 32, but that's nearly $300. That's no small thing. But I do want my maps to run well.

Dooo Ittt!

It's what I did when I built this PC, put in 64GB from the start, DCS runs smooth on any map 

• Like 1

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

• 5 months later...
On 10/7/2022 at 3:13 PM, Diesel_Thunder said:

The screenshots of Normandy 2.0 look amazing! Looking forward to another area to fly my warbirds.

The big question in my mind, is how hard is this going to hit my PC? I ask that because for me Syria runs marginally in single player, and horribly in multiplayer even when I drop the graphics settings to low.

I really want to consider getting the new Normandy map, but my experience with Syria makes me hesitate a bit.

Interesting, I also have 64GB of RAM and hardly ever see DCS break ~34GB.  I often find myself wishing it *was* harder on RAM, in that it would use more of it.

Obviously much depends on how big the mission itself is, but how much RAM do you see being used while you are flying around Syria?

• Like 1

Rex's Rig

Intel i9-14900K | Nvidia RTX 4090 | 64GB DDR5 | 3x4TB 990 Pro M2 SSDs | HP Reverb 2 | 49" Samsung 5120x1440 @ 120Mhz

TM Warthog Stick + Throttle | TM Pendulum Pedals | MS Sidewinder 2 FFB | Track IR |  Cougar MFD x 2 

Agreed.  Assuming it was used efficiently, loading more textures and similar to take use of free RAM would seem like a good way to reduce the amount of time loading from storage

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I see around 42 GB on the Syria Map in MP (4YA Server), didn´t try the Normandy 2 so far. So 64 GB are useful in certain situations. It is definately not a waste and future proof.

Edit: In Single Player, alone over London or Paris I got 27 GB of RAM filled.

Edited by xoxen
Additional information

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

On 4/25/2023 at 2:05 AM, Rex said:

Interesting, I also have 64GB of RAM and hardly ever see DCS break ~34GB.  I often find myself wishing it *was* harder on RAM, in that it would use more of it.

Obviously much depends on how big the mission itself is, but how much RAM do you see being used while you are flying around Syria?

To be fair, this was a big concern with my previous PC (I got a nice upgrade for Christmas!). That PC had 32GB of DDR3, with an AMD FX 8120 and a GTX 980 GPU. Syria in single player was ok, but multiplayer was almost a lost cause with that PC, even after dropping the graphics settings.

The new one is handling Syria and Normandy 2.0 with no problem :joystick:

• Like 1

PC: MSI X670E, Ryzen 9 7900X, 64GB DDR5 RAM, RTX 3090 Ti, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight pedals, Opentrack

Link to my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/DieselThunderAviation

Commander, 62nd Virtual Fighter Squadron

Join the 62nd VFS today! Link to our discord server: https://discord.gg/Z25BSKk84s

Patch_v1.2 small.jpg

Some weeks ago i had 16 GB DDR4 2400´er at I7-8700 and GTX 1070.

My biggest goal was to by me an additional SSD an install DCS World there.

Single player on all maps and multiplayer with 2-4 players at the server also worked perfect.

Now i only changed from 16 DDR4 2400 to 32gb DDR4 3200 (72 EUR for a 32 GB kit (2 times 16gb) and for sure it also works perfect 

The only thing i can tell you from my experience was, that with 16 GB in total my game crashed 2 times, trying to join together with a friend on a well visited server with many people, etc.

after changing to 32 GB also this works.

Greetings

Andi