Plane icon on the ABRIS doesn`t move

Lurz

• ED Team

ABRIS is showing a NAV ERROR, can you check you have full satellite acquisition  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

8 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Well.. my bad. I just missed that. There are no satellites, something is broken on that server apparently

Screen_221031_210425.jpg

Edited by Lurz
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

check the mission year it maybe prior to the Satellite's use 

thanks

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/31/2022 at 11:47 AM, BIGNEWY said:

I just noticed this new ABRIS behaviour myself: If GNSS is not available in a mission, the ABRIS just stays at the spawn position and doesn't update the position anymore, making it pretty much completely useless in such missions.
So, just fo clarify: Is this new behaviour intended? Or in other words: Is there no way for the ABRIS to use nav data from the INS?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 hours ago, QuiGon said:

So, just fo clarify: Is this new behaviour intended? Or in other words: Is there no way for the ABRIS to use nav data from the INS?

See pages 188-189 of the flight manual: it seems this should have always been like this. Doesn't it?

ka50.png

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

15 minutes ago, Flappie said:

See pages 188-189 of the flight manual: it seems this should have always been like this. Doesn't it?

It possibly should have always been like this, but it wasn't. The ABRIS of Black Shark 2 (don't know about BS1) has always shown accurate position even if GNSS wasn't available in the mission. It displayed the NAV ERROR message, but continued to work just fine. That suddenly changed in an update a few weeks ago and I wonder if that is intended (it very well might be).

I just also noticed, that if you mark a target with the SHKVAL sight and store it to memory, it appears at the correct position on the ABRIS, wheras the own aircraft icon and the SHKVAL SPI are shown at a totally different position (spawn position). How does the ABRIS know the true position of the marked target, if it doesn't know the aircraft and SHKVAL SPI position? :huh:

This is all without GNSS being available.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

1 minute ago, QuiGon said:

I just also noticed, that if you mark a target with the SHKVAL sight and store it to memory, it appears on the correct position on the ABRIS, wheras the own aircraft icon and the SHKVAL SPI are shown at a totally different position (spawn position). How does the ABRIS know the true position of the marked target, if it doesn't know the aircraft and SHKVAL SPI position? :huh:

This looks like a bug, indeed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Flappie said:

This looks like a bug, indeed.

Confused. Is it a bug or is it "correct as is" as marked on this forum entry. An explanation would be good if its known.

• Like 1

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

3 minutes ago, Dallas88B said:

Confused. Is it a bug or is it "correct as is" as marked on this forum entry. An explanation would be good if its known.

Rome wasn't built in one day. We'll provide tracks to devs and they'll answer.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:45 AM, Flappie said:

Rome wasn't built in one day

Oh OK. Thanks its correct as is.

Edited by Dallas88B

MSI Z690 EDGE | i5 12600K | RTX 3070 TUF OC 8GB | Kingston Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MHz CL16 | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 |SilverStone 1000W Strider 80+ Platinum PSU | LG 34GN850 UWQHD 160Hz G-Sync HDR IPS 34in Monitor | Antlion Audio ModMic Uni-Directional Microphone with Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Back Studio Headphones | Behringer Xenyx 302USB Mixer | Virpil T-50CM3 Throttle | DELANCLiP head tracking | Gunfighter Mk.III MCE Ultimate | Crosswind Pedals | W10

On 11/13/2022 at 11:21 PM, Dallas88B said:

Oh OK. Thanks its correct as is.

Let's make it clearer for you:

• ABRIS in NAV error when GNSS is disabled : according to the manual, it's correct as is (and the thread is tagged as such becasue that was the OP initial question).
  • ABRIS knowing exactly where the Shkval is pointing at when GNSS is disabled: that's probably a bug, which will be reported.

Is that clearer now?

On 11/13/2022 at 10:15 PM, QuiGon said:

I just also noticed, that if you mark a target with the SHKVAL sight and store it to memory, it appears at the correct position on the ABRIS, wheras the own aircraft icon and the SHKVAL SPI are shown at a totally different position (spawn position). How does the ABRIS know the true position of the marked target, if it doesn't know the aircraft and SHKVAL SPI position? :huh:

This is all without GNSS being available.

Devs answered. The aircraft now has correct behaviour (it had not before):

• ABRIS only uses GNSS. No GNSS = no self-localization on the ABRIS map.
  • Shkval only uses INS localization.
  • When GNSS is available, it frequently corrects INS errors, which helps keeping SPI localization accurate.
  • When GNSS is not available, INS works fine for a moment because the Ka-50 knows its initial position, set by ground crew. Then, the more you move across the country, the bigger the SPI offset will be.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Devs answered. The aircraft now has correct behaviour (it had not before):

• ABRIS only uses GNSS. No GNSS = no self-localization on the ABRIS map.
  • Shkval only uses INS localization.
  • When GNSS is available, it frequently corrects INS errors, which helps keeping SPI localization accurate.
  • When GNSS is not available, INS works fine for a moment because the Ka-50 knows its initial position, set by ground crew. Then, the more you move across the country, the bigger the SPI offset will be.

Awesome, thanks for the info! :thumbup:
That will render the ABRIS pretty much useless on GNSS restricted missions, but if that's how it was IRL, then that's how it should be in DCS as well 👍

One question though:

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Will the NAV FIX function of the INS be simulated, so we can perform fixes to correct INS drift?
IIRC this function was actually functional in BS1, but was lost when BS2 came.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • ED Team
6 hours ago, DeMonteur said:

Is there any way to force ABRIS to use nav data from PNK-800?

Hi, 

not that I am aware of, the ABRIS is a stand alone device in this regard. 

• Like 1