Creating Clouds with Dynamic Weather Tab

Bosun

Is there a good tutorial that isn't 3 years old, regarding the intricacies of the dynamic weather engine in the mission editor?  I've looked all over and cannot find one. The tutorials I did see from Youtube, all 2.5 and earlier, I followed steps from and mimicked their placement, sizing, etc..., but could not achieve any patterns that resulted in anything except wind on an clear sky.  Even mashing systems up and creating conditions for wind in excess of hurricane forces, still netted no clouds in the sky, at all, anywhere on the maps.  

I'd like to use dynamic weather in missions, so any help is appreciated! 

• Thanks 1

hey Bosun,   there's a grim reapers youtube vid called Mission Editor: Dynamic Weather & Extreme Weather Tutorial | DCS WORLD

it helped me make some sense of the process.

System specs; i7 9700k 32GB RAM 2x1TB SSD Drives (1 DCS Dedicated) MSI Z390 MB. MSI GeForce RTX 3070. 4KTV monitor. Reverb G2 VR.Stock TM HOTAS. (Tm WartHog) Throttle. VBK MCG.

On 11/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Bosun said:

Is there a good tutorial that isn't 3 years old, regarding the intricacies of the dynamic weather engine in the mission editor?  I've looked all over and cannot find one. The tutorials I did see from Youtube, all 2.5 and earlier, I followed steps from and mimicked their placement, sizing, etc..., but could not achieve any patterns that resulted in anything except wind on an clear sky.  Even mashing systems up and creating conditions for wind in excess of hurricane forces, still netted no clouds in the sky, at all, anywhere on the maps.  

I'd like to use dynamic weather in missions, so any help is appreciated! 

Those old tutorials are still valid in the sense that nothing has changed with the dynamic weather tab. What changed were the clouds with v2.5 of the sim. You can still get rain, etc, it just doesn't look the same. Here's an example of the same dynamic weather setting pre- and post- 2.5 using the same TRK. You can still generate rain, it just takes more editing and, often, you end up with sun showers because of the “new” clouds reduced density.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

2 hours ago, Ironhand said:

Those old tutorials are still valid in the sense that nothing has changed with the dynamic weather tab. What changed were the clouds with v2.5 of the sim. You can still get rain, etc, it just doesn't look the same. Here's an example of the same dynamic weather setting pre- and post- 2.5 using the same TRK. You can still generate rain, it just takes more editing and, often, you end up with sun showers because of the “new” clouds reduced density.

I think the dynamic weather tab needs to be tinkered with then - because as stated above, I've followed every tutorial I have seen and mimicked their weather, and have not gotten a single cloud in the sky at all.  

This is an old video, but the first 35 minutes helped me understand the basics of how weather works and how to create dynamic weather. I haven't tried it with the new clouds yet tho.
DCS Dynamic Weather Tutorial

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

44 minutes ago, pimp said:

This is an old video, but the first 35 minutes helped me understand the basics of how weather works and how to create dynamic weather. I haven't tried it with the new clouds yet tho.
DCS Dynamic Weather Tutorial

If by “new clouds” you mean the current clouds, it’s not set up for them. It still uses the 2.5 clouds or something similar. However I haven’t checked after this last update.

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Still no luck in getting clouds generated with the Dynamic Weather tab for missions.  
I've even copied over some LUA files from other people's postings, prior to the update.  

Has anyone successfully created clouds using the Dynamic Weather tab since the 2.8 update? 

The Dynamic Weather tab no longer seems to generate weather. Just tried some settings that would normally generate clouds and rain. Nada.

EDIT: To clarify, it generates the wind patterns but it looks like the clouds have been removed.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

11 hours ago, Ironhand said:

The Dynamic Weather tab no longer seems to generate weather. Just tried some settings that would normally generate clouds and rain. Nada.

EDIT: To clarify, it generates the wind patterns but it looks like the clouds have been removed.

I’m not much into the ME but I was hoping to be able set my practice missions on dynamic and then smash generate a few times and get some random cool clouds and weather without manually editing every setting, all I ever ended up with was clear skies and a few wispy clouds coming and going. Maybe thats not how it works but the dynamic weather certainly didn’t give me very much variation in all of my attempts…I could be using it wrong too lol

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

3 hours ago, MadKreator said:

I’m not much into the ME but I was hoping to be able set my practice missions on dynamic and then smash generate a few times and get some random cool clouds and weather without manually editing every setting, all I ever ended up with was clear skies and a few wispy clouds coming and going. Maybe thats not how it works but the dynamic weather certainly didn’t give me very much variation in all of my attempts…I could be using it wrong too lol

No. You were using it right. The clouds aren’t being generated since the last update. Only the wind is. I don’t know if that is by design or a colossal bug. So all you can accomplish with it for the present are winds that vary with time across the map (assuming, of course, that the systems still move across the map like they used to).

_____

I tried to set it only once but isn't is intended to use a STATIC preset to choose the clouds formation, then switch to DYNAMIC tab and set the data there and leave it active? In that way the preset generates the clouds and the dynamic tab generates the winds. Is that right?

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

12 hours ago, St4rgun said:

I tried to set it only once but isn't is intended to use a STATIC preset to choose the clouds formation, then switch to DYNAMIC tab and set the data there and leave it active? In that way the preset generates the clouds and the dynamic tab generates the winds. Is that right?

In the past, they have been two completely separate systems. That may possibly be the intention going forward but it’s not there yet. And, currently, “light scattered” is the default static weather setting. So if it was currently set to use the static setting, you should have some clouds somewhere.

EDIT: Just as a double-check I set static weather to one of the heavy overcast options. No difference.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

What I've noticed is that the first cyclone created in the new dynamic weather is almost un-editable making it mostly impossible to really create the weather patterns desired.

I created a PDF tutorial with map templates a few years back using Shifty Movers youtube video and my knowledge of weather.  For those interested it is out on the User Files.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Re/Officially? confirming that this is definitely a bug now as of Stable 2.8.1.X

No clouds appear to be drawn when using the dynamic weather engine (yes I'm aware of what it  should be and that it's not the new stuff).

I was able to get into a scenario where rain drops were even being drawn on the canopy; however the sky was clear and blue.

I'd say if Raindrops = On and Clouds = Off

That's about as confirmed for it being a bug as it can get.

Which, at that point, any missions that haven't been updated to the 2.7+ preset cloud systems, means they are officially broken, as if they were designed with the classic dynamic weather engine in mind for low vis conditions... well... it won't be very low vis if clouds aren't being drawn.

(and ... yes ... for the second time, I am completely aware that it would be drawing the pre 2.7 clouds)

20 hours ago, grant977 said:

Were you able once to drag the systems around the map. It seems like you can’t move a system anymore.

Was that really a thing? I don’t recall ever being able to do anything except right click on the map without the dynamic weather page disappearing. Any repositioning I ever made was via editing the lua file.

How did it work? Since oftentimes the system center is off the visible map, could you just drag any weather flag?

Edited by Ironhand

_____

On 11/18/2022 at 5:58 PM, RedRabbit_61 said:

What I've noticed is that the first cyclone created in the new dynamic weather is almost un-editable making it mostly impossible to really create the weather patterns desired...

It's editable but you won't see the change unless you completely close out of the weather tab prior to loading the edited file.

Grant977, no you cannot drag the system within the editor. You need to edit the LUA file you save.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

• 4 weeks later...

It's true. No more clouds in dynamic weather.

Wind and rain appear but clouds are light scattered at best.

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU