Instrument Approach, Airfield and Landing

Murphyjmm

When I press the back slash "\" to open the radio menu, I get auto, main, F5 ATC, and F12, and then exit on the upper right corner of the screen.  Then it locks up until you turn the volume back down and when you press F5, it turns on and off volume on any videos I have open in the background in a browser.  If you press F1, it turns on a slider on the left side of the screen.  I get 3 main ATC bat and then C260 mhz, AM, F1, inbound F2 requests azimuth, F11 previous menu, F12 Exit.  I'll review the manual as well.  I can't follow as of yet.  Need to clarify or simplify for now.  My X-Plane 11 pause button operates by pushing "P".  DCS operates by pushing Pause.  The game is impressive but foggy at this point.  I need help.  I don't know if the commands from the video are doing the proper functions.  I don't know what to do as the next step.

Jim

I’ll take a guess but it sounds like your keyboard is not sending the F1,F2, F3 keys etc but controlling windows functions.

If you look at the F keys, do they also have little icons on them….I bet those icons correspond with the actions you mention above.

I dint know how you change your keyboard mode, usually there is an Fn key somewhere or Fn lock or similar. But it’s not a DCS issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I will think like Trigati, look like you play on a laptop ? and thosese function are shortcut for your sound, brightness etc.   so basically when you press thoses keys you seems enable the windows function key not the radio one.. It interfer with DCS

Note you can click on the menu radio with mouse.  just go over text and left click on your mouse

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

On 12/13/2022 at 7:12 PM, Trigati said:

I dint know how you change your keyboard mod

only if  he  wanted  to  since  you  cant  change  it  by  mistake  since  you need  to press  the  window  key  and  space bar to toggle  between   en(united states)  and us  keyboard .  Thats  on  my  pc the only  way  to check if  you have  is   if  you  type \  it  will   be  a  !  i  think  but  it  will be  different  easy  to  check  though

I didn't know you were supposed to hit those letters with the mouse arrow instead or the keys.  I got through the lesson ok.  I'm on the next lesson and having trouble setting the stabilizer trim to increase from 12 to 17.  Thanks for the help, Jim 

21 minutes ago, Murphyjmm said:

I didn't know you were supposed to hit those letters with the mouse arrow instead or the keys.  I got through the lesson ok.  I'm on the next lesson and having trouble setting the stabilizer trim to increase from 12 to 17.  Thanks for the help, Jim 

Flaps half or full and then you can trim. 

If not, check your keybindings. 

Found that pushing the stabilizer button and then v and the up or down arrows adjust trim.  Now I need to get the f2 button to give me an outside view instead of a volume control leaver so I can hook up to the launch bar.  I'll my wife to look at it. Shes the I.T person.  Any help would be appreciated.     Thanks Jim

Are you playing on a laptop? If F2 is giving you volume control it’s usually a added function key setup for laptops. Can you tell me exactly what laptop you’ve got. If so. 

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

The 'Pause' key stops the entire game but will let you look at the F10 map. I don't know if it came this way or something I set up, but my 'P' key gives me an active pause. My plane stops flying but the rest of planes etc keep going. But, while my plane is sitting still, all it's functions remain running. I cheat this way often when flying a new mission and having trouble finding a target, or if I didn't set  up a weapon correctly. My wingman just circles around me until I continue. 

On 12/15/2022 at 10:29 PM, Murphyjmm said:

Found that pushing the stabilizer button and then v and the up or down arrows adjust trim.  Now I need to get the f2 button to give me an outside view instead of a volume control leaver so I can hook up to the launch bar.  I'll my wife to look at it. Shes the I.T person.  Any help would be appreciated.     Thanks Jim

When I am having a problem that might be a double binding I go to the Options- Controls section like this.

It takes a couple of minutes but I scroll from the top all the way down and look for that key to pop up somewhere. It may appear in the section you expect it to but also in another section. If you find it where you don't want it, click on it to highlight it and then click the 'CLEAR" button below. If you don't see the F2 button anywhere, scroll around until you get to all the view options. Find the option you want (I don't remember exactly what the outside view is named) and click it. That will put a lighter bar across the screen like 'Rudder' is in my picture. Now push the F2 key and you should see 'F2' pop up in the 'Keyboard' column and then click the 'Add' button. BTW once you get F2 to give you an outside view, you can move around the plane using your mouse ---IF--- the radio communications list is not on the screen.

Joystick assignments..png

easy way  to find  what keys  are  bound  to is  go to your  adjust controls  press  a  button  if it  bound  to some  thing  it  will  show  you what it  is by highlighting  it,  if  its  not  what your  expecting  to be  is  simple  to delete  the  bind  and  than  bind  it  to  the  action you want

Men you are overriding game setting by using your windows/system, something is wrong with your keyboard setting, not the game, you need to find the culprit but it is not DCS related it is your windows settings. If you press F2 or F5 and it open volume control it mean this key is not used as primary F key but for shortcut on windows setting, like brightness, volume control and it should not be . 

For help we will need more information as, what is the pc you are using ? hardware, operating system used etc....

Edited by Lane

- I7 2600K @5.2ghz ( EK full Nickel waterblock )

- Gigabyte P67A-UD7 B3

- 8GB Predator 2133mhz

- 2x HD7970 - EK Nickel EN H2o block

- 2x Crucial realSSD C300 Raid0

- Black Widow Ultimate - X52 -TrackIR 5

- XIfi Titanium HD

- Win 7 x64Pro

It sounds like you have 'F-lock' on...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-do-i-use-the-fn-key-f-lock-key-alternate-command-keys-fccfaf23-38f0-88a8-9b44-a18f24523b79

The method of turning it off will vary with keyboard. There may be an 'F-lock' key, or it could be a combination of other keys. For example I have a wireless Microsoft keyboard which uses Caps Lock + Fn to toggle it on/off.

Asus Z690 Hero | 12900K | 64GB G.Skill 6000 | 4090FE | Reverb G2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 + TM Grips  | Winwing Orion2 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals