AMD Adrenalin 22.12.1+ causes Mission Editor to crash

SOAR
Go to solution Solved by Daemoc,

The mission file size exceeds the max total size allowed to post here. 

After todays update it did however generate a crash report. I have attached that.

What would be a good way to get the mission to the devs?

dcs.log-20221216-182539.zip

@Fabio.Nyr What driver did you roll back to? i tried the 2 previous ones before 22.11.2 and that did not work.

20 hours ago, Fabio.Nyr said:

Exact same problem I haver radeon 6900xt, I have to downgrade to old driver and delete fxo and shader folder and works again

Hi! , today apart of the new patch I installed my new 7900XTX ( that is probably the main reason of my problems but just in case...) I´m having a really hard time trying to edit one mission. At the beginning after a few seconds of loading the mission into the editor it was just closing DCS without any message at all. Later on, after repairing, cleaning and going into my BIOS looking for more compatibility, the mission editor was letting me do some things, but every time that I was clicking in any Farp icon, bang! back to windows without any message or crash report.  So the one I´m posting I think is because I was lucky, as that time it didn´t happened while clicking the Farp but when I just saved the mission changes, crashed to desktop but with a proper message. 

Obviously, everything is updated, drivers, motherboard, windows, etc etc... I uninstalled the old Nvidia drivers with DDU... I don´t know what else to do (apart of mount back my "old" 3080), but I guess that is probably something related to the AMD GPU Drivers.. it wouldn´t be surprising to be honest.  Anyway, let me know of any more possibilities.

BTW, this only happen with two missions at the moment, the non edited version of these missions loads perfectly. My friend tried to edit them (edited version)  in his computer (Nvidia GPU) and doesn´t have this problem so I don´t think the mission or todays DCS update is the problem after all either.  I will attach the 2 crashlogs that I got today randomly...

dcs.log-20221217-000915.zip dcs.log-20221217-004643.zip Operation_Snowfox_Escalation - A74 - v0.12 .miz

18 hours ago, 313 SQN JD said:

The mission file size exceeds the max total size allowed to post here. 

After todays update it did however generate a crash report. I have attached that.

What would be a good way to get the mission to the devs?

dcs.log-20221216-182539.zip 195.34 kB · 1 download

@Fabio.Nyr What driver did you roll back to? i tried the 2 previous ones before 22.11.2 and that did not work.

I downgraded to 22.4.1 the oldest listed in the AMD page, and also tried drivers from Guru 3D from year 2021, since 2.8 update I have issues with my Radeon card. You should do a clean unsitall with the DDU program, also delete the fxo and shaders folder in DCS saved games and try . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabio.Nyr said:

I downgraded to 22.4.1 the oldest listed in the AMD page, and also tried drivers from Guru 3D from year 2021, since 2.8 update I have issues with my Radeon card. You should do a clean unsitall with the DDU program, also delete the fxo and shaders folder in DCS saved games and try . 

@Fabio.Nyr That particular driver is not compatible with my device. I've rolled back to the latest one available which is 22.5.2 and i still have flickering and CTD. 

It happens to all of may missions , regardless of the map (actual Caucasus) when they get more complex.
At the beginning, still be able to work in ME vor 2 or 3 minutes, but when adding more units, at some point I am not able to start the mission in the Editor anymore.
Loading an older version and than the new one again it may help to get back into the Mission Editor, but not for long.
AMD 6900XT

Always happy landings ;)

Since last week, when I got my hands on a Sapphire RX 7900 XTX GPU I began to have the same glitches when in ME on the Syria map folowed up by the whole game crashing. Deleted fxo and metashaders2 folders, still no luck.

Current AMD Adrenalin drivers: 22.12.1.

Current HW & owned modules:

Spoiler

Current HW:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB | 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 @ 3600Mhz
  • GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO | Seasonic Prime GX-850 |Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB | Samsung 870 EVO 1TB
  • Logitech X52 Pro HOTAS + Pedals |Meta Quest 3 | Tobbi Eye Tracker 5 | Opentrack with PS3 Eye + Clip | Primary: 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q; Secondary: 28" iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU (both 3840 x 2160, 60Hz, 4K)

DCS Modules (all on Steam):

• F/A-18C | F-16C | F-15E | L-39 | A-10C | FC3 | JF-17 | AH-64D | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | Mi-8MTV2 | Supercarrier
  • Persian Gulf | Syria | Nevada | Marianas | Sinai

46 minutes ago, 313 SQN JD said:

ofcourse, this aint my first rodeo 🙂 Tried it all man. The problem is definitely on AMD's side and i suspect its just bad driver support. Hope this will be fixed.

Agree, anyways is the only issues I have is with DCS, and also a black glitching in certain circumstances usgin the JF-17 module, but only after the 2.8 release, not before

@mimamema i do see one line that refers to nvidia "2022-12-17 01:19:15.947 INFO    DX11BACKEND (Main): NvAPI_Initialize Error: " it could be a conflict with AMD. in the end of file DCS crashed without ceremony. so mission may have problems. to confirm, you can open or make other missions? maybe try some default missions.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, silverdevil said:

@mimamema i do see one line that refers to nvidia "2022-12-17 01:19:15.947 INFO    DX11BACKEND (Main): NvAPI_Initialize Error: " it could be a conflict with AMD. in the end of file DCS crashed without ceremony. so mission may have problems. to confirm, you can open or make other missions? maybe try some default missions.

I thought the same before, but that's not it: DCS first tries to detect an NVIDIA GPU. When it fails ("NvAPI_Initialize Error"), it looks for an AMD GPU. And when it fails again, it gives the GPU a default name.

@mimamema  I think you're having this issue:

Do you see gliches before the crash?

Edited by Flappie
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

8 hours ago, Flappie said:

I thought the same before, but that's not it: DCS first tries to detect an NVIDIA GPU. When it fails ("NvAPI_Initialize Error"), it looks for an AMD GPU. And when it fails again, it gives the GPU a default name.

@mimamema  I think you're having this issue:

Do you see gliches before the crash?

Actually yes, I noticed sometimes when it happens I can see some glitches in the text of the menus and so.

Ok, I have just gone through that other post you linked me and I think is kind of the same problem, but I cannot come back to any other driver to try as I´m in the first driver available for this GPU 😅. I have already posted the missions here where I have the issue.

Update---Well I tried opening Foothold Syria mission that I have in my computer and I can say it´s exactly the same glitches as the ones that I can see in the video of the other posts, after a second or two I was in the desktop with no error or message as the OP of that post showed. So I can affirm it´s the same problem.  

It seems that Syria is the one triggering those glitches more easily, I opened my edited version of Scarlet Dawn  (Syria version of Clearfield and Snowfox) and bang! same glitches and CTD. Here I have attached the mission and the log associated with that CTD. Will try with the un-edited one, I´m curious.

Operation_Scarlet_Dawn-A74-v.025.miz dcs.log

• Thanks 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, 313 SQN JD said:

@Fabio.Nyr That particular driver is not compatible with my device. I've rolled back to the latest one available which is 22.5.2 and i still have flickering and CTD. 

another workaround was deleting fxo and shaders folder and lowering the max speed of the Graphic processor, I benchmarked my GPU with several softwares, it is definitely a dcs problem with the graphics card or vice versa

On 12/20/2022 at 1:33 PM, Fabio.Nyr said:

another workaround was deleting fxo and shaders folder and lowering the max speed of the Graphic processor, I benchmarked my GPU with several softwares, it is definitely a dcs problem with the graphics card or vice versa

Yeah im also very positive it is not the actual hardware part of the GPU. The fact that its all 6000/7000 series cards and that certain old drivers fix the problem also goes to the point that it goes wrong in the software. I think if ED can find the culprit in the missions that they will be able to bandaid it.

4 hours ago, Fabio.Nyr said:

Up to this day my best configuration is only installed the driver on win 11, version 2020. 21.10.2 , not installed adrenalin,  and using MSI to adjust the GP, and is stable and works fine, until AND or DCS launch a better alternative 

Sadly that won't work for me, because I cannot use older drivers for the RX 7900 XTX. I just hope that the ED will look into this as soon as they can because right now I cannot do anything in the ME at all. And it's not specific to the Syria map anymore because I just had the graphical glitches and CTD on the Persian Gulf map as well. :dunno:

Current HW & owned modules:

Spoiler

Current HW:

• AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB | 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 @ 3600Mhz
  • GIGABYTE X570 AORUS PRO | Seasonic Prime GX-850 |Samsung 970 EVO 1TB | Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250GB | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB | Samsung 870 EVO 1TB
  • Logitech X52 Pro HOTAS + Pedals |Meta Quest 3 | Tobbi Eye Tracker 5 | Opentrack with PS3 Eye + Clip | Primary: 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289Q; Secondary: 28" iiyama G-Master GB2888UHSU (both 3840 x 2160, 60Hz, 4K)

DCS Modules (all on Steam):

• F/A-18C | F-16C | F-15E | L-39 | A-10C | FC3 | JF-17 | AH-64D | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | Mi-8MTV2 | Supercarrier
  • Persian Gulf | Syria | Nevada | Marianas | Sinai

1 hour ago, MrSmithCZ said:

Sadly that won't work for me, because I cannot use older drivers for the RX 7900 XTX. I just hope that the ED will look into this as soon as they can because right now I cannot do anything in the ME at all. And it's not specific to the Syria map anymore because I just had the graphical glitches and CTD on the Persian Gulf map as well. :dunno:

We should all get a ticket on support