My 4090 adventure

dburne

Been trying for weeks. Finally today I get a NowInStock alert on an Asus 4090 Gaming, at NewEgg. Showed in stock at 1800 bucks, made it to checkout at New Egg selected PayPal with two day delivery and blammo, denied no longer in stock.

Mother effin scalpers, I hate them all. This sux. Bums that don't work sitting around in their pajamas grabbing as many cards as they can get their filthy money grubbing hands on.

Maybe next week but I am quite sure the same thing will happen once again. What really ticks me off - they had it in stock, I had it added to my cart = and from the brief time after adding to cart to me entering the payment info - it was gone. One would think once added to cart it would stay there a few minutes but no.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I got one - kept checking NowInStock and saw NewEgg had just got Gigabyte 4090. Added to cart and quickly Pay Pal'd it and now have official confirmation of my order - at MSRP (1709) baby!! Will be here tomorrow!!Woohoo!!

See all I had to do was fuss a little lol. Btw NewEgg still showing some Gibabytes for anyone interested. Get it while it is  hot.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 6

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

50 minutes ago, dburne said:

I got one - kept checking NowInStock and saw NewEgg had just got Gigabyte 4090. Added to cart and quickly Pay Pal'd it and now have official confirmation of my order - at MSRP (1709) baby!! Will be here tomorrow!!Woohoo!!

See all I had to do was fuss a little lol. Btw NewEgg still showing some Gibabytes for anyone interested. Get it while it is  hot.

congrats dude, I've followed your epic hunt on the varjo discord, nice to see it finally concluded successfully!

• Like 1

I910900K, 4090, 32gb,Varjo Aero, no compromises: all VR all the time. 

36 minutes ago, DavePastry said:

congrats dude, I've followed your epic hunt on the varjo discord, nice to see it finally concluded successfully!

Thanks - what I really wanted if I could have chosen was an MSI Suprim X - but since I started looking I have not seen those come in stock anywhere yet.I will be fine with the Gigabyte, just glad finally got one.

• Like 1

Don B

congrats !!!! Thats the gpu I would like also but me having a prebuilt I'll have to just get a new rig because Alienware doesnt let you upgrade nothing. But back 2 years ago it was the only way to get a 3090. 

Edited by Burt
  • Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

The cooling system in rtx 4090 is over engineered so any brand is good as thermals will not be an issue at stock setting (mine never goes above high 60s—high end models might go higher depending on the BIOS). The only catch is that you need to make sure the PCIe cable goes all the way in (should hear a click), to avoid burnt socket. 

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 2

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

The MSI is so nice and thin though.  Love mine!

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

1 hour ago, Slammin said:

The MSI is so nice and thin though.  Love mine!

Yeah Suprim X was what I really wanted but they were never coming in stock anywhere that I saw. So I grabbed the first thing that was available to me as soon as I saw it. I am just happy I finally am getting a 4090 at MSRP.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

Last round (3090), I had just retired from my job so I had all the time in the world to just stay up all night, monitoring discords etc., and wear out my refresh button to get one, and also got a couple of 3090's from the EVGA waiting list.  Fun times!  This time, I found a local ebay seller/scalper and paid an extra $300 above msrp for my Suprim Hydra.  I gotta say that it was worth it to me.  The frustration (oh but the adrenaline) of clicking/carting, and 'winning' was quite the experience, but I am not up for that anymore, lol!

Congrats on your score man.  The 4090 definitely opens up a whole new experience with VR!

• Like 1

Abit IN9 32x MAX- Kentsfield QX6700 @3520

1.5 vcore watercooled D-Tek Fuzion/PA-160/MCR120/2x MCP655

2x2GB G-Skill 1066 5-5-5-15 2T@1.9vdimm

2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB SLI

2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0

2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II

X-FI Elite Pro

Dell U3011

Lian Li V2100B

Corsair HX1000

I finally got the 4090 card also.  I spent a long time searching and using "NowInStock".   It was frustrating to react as soon as I was notified only to find out it is no longer in stock.  What finally worked for me was a little weird.  I added an available card to my cart on NewEgg, and it told me it was out of stock before I could pay.  I then did the "Save for Later", and it popped up suggested items for me.  In that list was an MSI Suprim Liqjuid X at MSRP.  I successfully bought that card.  I wasn't planning on getting the water cooled, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity.  

Windows 11, GPU: RTX-4090, Ram: 32gb, CPU: 12700k, Headset: Varjo Aero

Newegg has been getting more and more stock, more than other vendors. I've been looking since November without any kick. Then in the last week, I was able to get one for myself and two others for a coworker and my brother. 

Not sure if the scalping interest dying off a bit, more available stock, or a combination of both. Now just gotta wait for the 7800X3D. 

Windows 11 | ASUS B650E-F STRIX | AMD 7800X3D | G.Skill 64Gb DDR5 6200 30-36-36-48 w/ tuned secondary/tertiary | RTX 4090 undervolted curve | MSI MPG A1000G PSU | VKB MCG Gunfighter Ultimate + Rudder Pedals + WH Throttle |  HP Reverb G2

7 hours ago, EightyDuce said:

Newegg has been getting more and more stock, more than other vendors. I've been looking since November without any kick. Then in the last week, I was able to get one for myself and two others for a coworker and my brother. 

Not sure if the scalping interest dying off a bit, more available stock, or a combination of both. Now just gotta wait for the 7800X3D. 

Yeah in my very recent experience NewEgg was the main one getting any drops.

Don B

Congrats @dburne! Woop woop 🥳
Still setting up my new pc so haven’t tried mine out yet. I’m a little nervous as I have a long track record of electronic goods not working. I’m an EMP on legs. 😁

14 hours ago, Burt said:

congrats !!!! Thats the gpu I would like also but me having a prebuilt I'll have to just get a new rig because Alienware doesnt let you upgrade nothing. But back 2 years ago it was the only way to get a 3090. 

Thats what I did, gonna use the Alienware with the 3090 mainly for Combat Mission now (the fps will still suck haha). Recently I was wondering why my drive was full despite only having DCS installed on it. So had a look in program files and found 2 folders, one called “Dell” the other “Alienware”, together they were taking up about 600gb!!!

• Like 1

Was also able to get a Gigabyte OC 4090 on NewEgg last week.

Today is the day we find out how accurate the published specs for different GPUs are on TechPowerUp...  The Strix 3090 is 319mm length, the Gigabyte OC 4090 comes in at 340mm...  I have just about 22-23mm of space between my 3090 and my front fans/AIO.  

My case is big, but I have a massive Arctic Freezer 480mm 420mm radiator in the front..  I may be ordering a new case or a new 480mm  420mm AIO that isn't as thick as the Arctic Freezer.. 

Edited by mjfrisby

17 minutes ago, mjfrisby said:

My case is big, but I have a massive Arctic Freezer 480mm radiator in the front..  I may be ordering a new case or a new 480mm AIO that isn't as thick as the Arctic Freezer.. 

Arctic came out with a 480? Where?

4930K @ 4.5, 32g ram, TitanPascal

21 hours ago, dburne said:

Glad you were finally able to catch one!

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

2 hours ago, Hartsblade said:

Glad you were finally able to catch one!

Thanks much! It is out for delivery so now just going through the waiting game. Wife an I are having dinner out with another couple this early evening, going to leave a signature for the UPS driver and hope that is enough - assuming it is not yet here when we leave.

Don B

4 hours ago, mjfrisby said:

Was also able to get a Gigabyte OC 4090 on NewEgg last week.

Today is the day we find out how accurate the published specs for different GPUs are on TechPowerUp...  The Strix 3090 is 319mm length, the Gigabyte OC 4090 comes in at 340mm...  I have just about 22-23mm of space between my 3090 and my front fans/AIO.  

My case is big, but I have a massive Arctic Freezer 480mm 420mm radiator in the front..  I may be ordering a new case or a new 480mm  420mm AIO that isn't as thick as the Arctic Freezer.. 

Phew.. that was close....

Also.. holy $#!T.. now I need to upgrade my CPU

image.png

Edited by mjfrisby
  • Like 4

Mine still has not arrived, we are going out for dinner I left a note on front door with my signature, hope that is sufficient for signature requirement. Tracking just shows delivery by 9:00 pm so we may well be back from dinner before this thing arrives. Got my extra power cable out and ready to go, likely though going to be tomorrow before I install this thing.

Edited by dburne

Don B

It has arrived. Going to go ahead and install it this evening but will be sometime tomorrow morning before I can really begin to check it out in DCS. Rest assured I will be checking it out good most of the day tomorrow!!

image.jpeg

Edited by dburne
  • Like 3

Don B

35 minutes ago, dburne said:

It has arrived. Going to go ahead and install it this evening but will be sometime tomorrow morning before I can really begin to check it out in DCS. Rest assured I will be checking it out good most of the day tomorrow!!

image.jpeg

Glad it made it safe. I would install and test it before going to bed or I wouldn't sleep.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

zIphnWr.jpg

JtxWkCi.jpg

Don B

Well I am fried tonight and lighting in my office ain't the greatest, going to wait and do it fresh in the morning when sun is up. Got everything ready and all software Presion X related uninstalled and out of appdata folders. Only thing left is removing the drivers with DDU and shutting her down to put the new card in.

It comes with a nice anti sag bracket that should mount easily it appears, and also a 4 year warranty which is nice. Not that I would actually keep it four years or more, after all I fly in VR LOL.

As far as my EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra goes? Yeah I could still sell it right now for a good buck, but no this time I am not going to do that. My grandson who could sorely use a better GPU is going to be the beneficiary of a nice gift from Grandpa. He does not know yet. Going to give this 4090 couple of weeks or so to make sure won't need the 3090, then spring it on him. I think he will be ecstatic.  He loves PC's but can not afford the top end at this time understandibly. He will also be receiving my complete PC system whatever I am running at the time and all flight and racing sim controllers upon my passing whenever that is. Least I don't have to worry about my wife throwing it all in the trash LOL.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

2 hours ago, dburne said:

Well I am fried tonight and lighting in my office ain't the greatest, going to wait and do it fresh in the morning when sun is up. Got everything ready and all software Presion X related uninstalled and out of appdata folders. Only thing left is removing the drivers with DDU and shutting her down to put the new card in.

It comes with a nice anti sag bracket that should mount easily it appears, and also a 4 year warranty which is nice. Not that I would actually keep it four years or more, after all I fly in VR LOL.

As far as my EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra goes? Yeah I could still sell it right now for a good buck, but no this time I am not going to do that. My grandson who could sorely use a better GPU is going to be the beneficiary of a nice gift from Grandpa. He does not know yet. Going to give this 4090 couple of weeks or so to make sure won't need the 3090, then spring it on him. I think he will be ecstatic.  He loves PC's but can not afford the top end at this time understandibly. He will also be receiving my complete PC system whatever I am running at the time and all flight and racing sim controllers upon my passing whenever that is. Least I don't have to worry about my wife throwing it all in the trash LOL.

We’re living somewhat parallel lives. I checked a stock tracker on a whim yesterday and also got a Gigabyte 4090 (the OC) from Newegg. And my 3080 is now going to my son, who has the 1080-based system I replaced last year. He is lucky that I am a flight simmer or I’d still be driving that 1080, and he’d be gaming on an Atari 2600 or something. 

• Like 4