DCS now supports OpenXR natively

BIGNEWY

Do we still need to force enable openXR in DCS now since 2.9 with an edited exe?

This thread is a year old now and with 31 pages I don't have the time to wade through them all. I have a quest 2 VR headset.

I'm kind of under the impression that DCS is running openXR all the time now and doesn't need enabling, but being new to all this, it gets a bit confusing.

Cheers, A.P.

Cheers,

Aussie Pilot.

On 1/15/2024 at 12:55 AM, Aussie Pilot said:

Do we still need to force enable openXR in DCS now since 2.9 with an edited exe?

This thread is a year old now and with 31 pages I don't have the time to wade through them all. I have a quest 2 VR headset.

I'm kind of under the impression that DCS is running openXR all the time now and doesn't need enabling, but being new to all this, it gets a bit confusing.

Cheers, A.P.

You do not if you are using MT.

ST, yes. 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, jungleboy123 said:

sorry, stupid question. I have Pico 4 and Quest 3. In Pico 4 OpenXR just works straight from launching in Virtual Desktop. In Quest 3 i have no idea. How can i know if OpenXR is working?

In the oculus app settings there is an option to make oculus the default for open xr. Oculus should then run open xr if you start DCS from the MT folder without any force settings (which you might have read about in older threads). 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

6 hours ago, Qcumber said:

In the oculus app settings there is an option to make oculus the default for open xr. Oculus should then run open xr if you start DCS from the MT folder without any force settings (which you might have read about in older threads). 

Thank you. It looks like VD was set as the current runtime and i was running Quest 3 in DCS all this time probably in some other mode unless it used oculus OpenXR.

Sorry, you might be able to help with these questions too. Will try to explain:

1. How can i switch between the OpenXR profiles. Some days i use Quest 3, sometimes Pico 4 via VD. I want it to point to the correct launch.
  2. Pico 4 i am now trying the new Pico Connect beta. I have applied the additional hack to give godlike resolution. When i launch in SteamVR via MT, the game only displays in 2D TV screen mode.

Thanks.

Edited by jungleboy123

@jungleboy123

1. As you might have noticed, only one program at a time (i.e. VD, Oculus, SteamVR) can be the OpenXR runtime. So you have to go into the settings of the respective program and select it as the active OpenXR runtime.

To save you from the hassle there are tools like XR-picker, which let you select that from outside the respective software.

https://github.com/rpavlik/xr-picker/releases

2. As mentioned…did you have SteamVR selected as your OpenXR runtime?

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

12 minutes ago, Phantom711 said:

@jungleboy123

1. As you might have noticed, only one program at a time (i.e. VD, Oculus, SteamVR) can be the OpenXR runtime. So you have to go into the settings of the respective program and select it as the active OpenXR runtime.

To save you from the hassle there are tools like XR-picker, which let you select that from outside the respective software.

https://github.com/rpavlik/xr-picker/releases

2. As mentioned…did you have SteamVR selected as your OpenXR runtime?

Thanks.

For 2. I think @Qcumber and your answer to 1 just made me realised the default runtime was set to VD. I need to try to set it to steamVR then relaunch the game. Will report back after that's done.

3 hours ago, jungleboy123 said:

Thank you. It looks like VD was set as the current runtime and i was running Quest 3 in DCS all this time probably in some other mode unless it used oculus OpenXR.

Sorry, you might be able to help with these questions too. Will try to explain:

1. How can i switch between the OpenXR profiles. Some days i use Quest 3, sometimes Pico 4 via VD. I want it to point to the correct launch.
  2. Pico 4 i am now trying the new Pico Connect beta. I have applied the additional hack to give godlike resolution. When i launch in SteamVR via MT, the game only displays in 2D TV screen mode.

Thanks.

In VD it should select VDXR automatically. To change back to oculus runtime you need to click the "default XR" box in settings. I switch between Pico 4 and quest pro so am used to doing it. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

5 hours ago, Qcumber said:

In VD it should select VDXR automatically. To change back to oculus runtime you need to click the "default XR" box in settings. I switch between Pico 4 and quest pro so am used to doing it. 

Thanks, working now!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, koen330 said:

OpenXR 1.1 is out.

Is this something we can update ourself, or has this to be implemented by DCS or VR headset manufacturers?

The news you've seen is about the OpenXR _standard_ being updated to 1.1.

This is similar to something like "a new version of DirectX was released" - with either new or more integrated capabilities.

Vendors will start rolling out new OpenXR runtimes - integrated to their platform - similar to how drivers would be updated for new DirectX version.

Application developers (such as ED) have the opportunity to start using these new capabilities by writing new code. It's not likely to start happening before the roll-out phase above is in motion (which it isn't really today).

End-to-end, a majority of the things announced for 1.1 were already possible in 1.0, such as the quad views foveated rendering that DCS already implements today. They are now more standard and slightly easier to use, but they still require efforts both on the platform vendors to implement (eg: Meta, the most important vendor, does not support quad views foveated rendering in 1.0 and there is no evidence yet that they will in 1.1) and the app developers to utilize (and thankfully ED does support quad views foveated rendering, if the platform supports it).

• Like 5

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Khronos Releases OpenXR 1.1 to Further Streamline Cross-Platform XR Development

https://www.khronos.org/openxr/
Press Release  (15 APR 2024)
Presentation Slides (PDF)

• Like 1

Regards,
Paul "Dodge / LondonLad" 

SYSTEM SPECS: AMD Ryzen 7 5800x , 64GB 3600MHz RAM, ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming, NVIDIA RTX 3070 8GB GDDR6, IIYAMA 34" Curved GB3466WQSU Monitor, VPC WarBRD-D Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, Thrustmaster HOTAS Throttle, VPC ACE Interceptor PedalsVKB Pedals (v4) (backup)  + TM MFD w/CUBESIM (x2), PointCTRL, HP Reverb G2 VR  Headset, Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, & TrackIR

Group: DCAF (Now Left, but a great group to be apart of - UK Based)

The most relevant change is that they put Quad View Foveated Rendering in the standard. This can encourage games that use OpenXR to support dynamic foveated rendering (MSFS!).

• Like 1