Foveated Rendering Support for DCS

hannibal

Can anyone file a bug report or start a thread for this NVG bug? Now that more people are using this quad views mode in DCS, maybe ED will be more inclined to fix the issue?
I can do that...but I need more explanation on what to write.
Tomorrow I can try to produce evidence (picture from the headset lenses)
  • Thanks 2

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

To the best of my knowledge, the NVG effect is just a filter that is overlaid on the screen rather than rendered geometry (like the IHADDS) this causes the NVG to show as it does.  I believe that if the NVG tube was modelled and rendered as geometry then it would work fine (with the added bonus of being able to look below/to the side of the tube!).

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will corroborate or correct me 😄

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I'm still testing this on the QP. The performance gains are terrific, for sure. I recognise that there is a compromise for these performance gains. However, I notice whilst looking about that for areas such as forests, when you look away then back again, the colour or perhaps it is the contrast changes. I find it very noticeable. Is there a tweak that can be made to lessen this effect or remove it altogether without obviously just turning off this great piece of work?

I have played with the available configuration options, although they haven't helped with this issue.

I don't think it's the actual colours or contrast that changes. It's just a biproduct of change in resolution. Lesser resolution, more "pixelated" and colours are distributed on fewer pixels. That means whatever nouances that was there, disappears as there are lesser pixels to put them out.

Is anyone experiencing loss of hand and head tracking (side to side, forward/backward, up/down - not rotation) whilst using this app on Quest Pro along with HTCC? The mission starts ok and not too long into it the fault occurs. If I remove either app, I don't have the problem. Reinstall and it is back.

Edited by slughead

4 часа назад, slughead сказал:

Is anyone experiencing loss of hand and head tracking

haven't noticed that yet.

Спойлер

i7 13700KF @ 5,4 GHz; DDR5 64GB RAM; Palit RTX 4090; AOC AG352UCG 35" 3440x1440; Win11.
Oculus Quest Pro.
"Marksman-L" rudder by MyCyJIbMaHuH ; VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base; VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip; VPC MongoosT-50CM Throttle.

My settings for VR

9 hours ago, slughead said:

Is anyone experiencing loss of hand and head tracking (side to side, forward/backward, up/down - not rotation) whilst using this app on Quest Pro along with HTCC? The mission starts ok and not too long into it the fault occurs. If I remove either app, I don't have the problem. Reinstall and it is back.

Yes. I lose depth (forward back)

Restarting oculus/dcs solves this 

Edited by nikoel

42 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Yes. I lose depth (forward back)

Restarting oculus/dcs solves this 

Are you using HTCC too? If so, try removing either HTCC or meta-foveated and see if that solves it please. I think there may be a conflict with both running.

14 minutes ago, Werewolf_fs said:

I have them sporadically, since v54, I don't use HTCC. I hope that with v55 it will be solved.

Ok. I have only had this since using meta-foveated. Could you try without meta-foveated and see if the problem doesn't occur? If we can isolate the problem, we can then ask the right people/person to investigate. Thanks.

38 minutes ago, slughead said:

Ok. I have only had this since using meta-foveated. Could you try without meta-foveated and see if the problem doesn't occur? If we can isolate the problem, we can then ask the right people/person to investigate. Thanks.

There is nothing in Meta-Foveated that does anything about tracking data. It relays the head tracking data as-is to the game. It certainly _does not touch at all anything related to motion controllers_.

You might be looking at a DCS bug here.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

24 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

There is nothing in Meta-Foveated that does anything about tracking data. It relays the head tracking data as-is to the game. It certainly _does not touch at all anything related to motion controllers_.

You might be looking at a DCS bug here.

Thanks for the input. I'm not convinced that it might be a DCS bug. I haven't had this before installing meta-foveated and have been running with HTCC since April.

I was just looking into why the Quest may drop down to 3DOF and I have seen a webpage that states turning off the guardian will cause this. So I shall test for that later as I turned off the guardian for Quest Link a few weeks ago. Although it seems odd that 6DOF works fine to start with and drops to 3DOF at some stage of the flight.

I'll keep on trying to get to the root cause of the issue by peeling back the layers of the onion. 👍

3 minutes ago, slughead said:

I haven't had this before installing meta-foveated

Using the quad views is turning on all sorts of code in DCS that you have never used before. It's making the game behave differently, regardless of what Meta-Foveated itself does.

Best you can provide is to make an ETL trace when the issue happens:

1) open an Administrator command prompt 

2) navigate to `Program Files\OpenXR-Meta-Foveated`

3) run the command `wpr -start tracing.wprp -filemode`

4) capture a few seconds of the issue, make sure to move your headset around so we can see the tracking data passed from Oculus to the game

5) back to the command prompt run `wpr -stop trace.etl`

6) compress the file `trace.etl` and send it over to me

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

9 minutes ago, mbucchia said:

Using the quad views is turning on all sorts of code in DCS that you have never used before. It's making the game behave differently, regardless of what Meta-Foveated itself does.

Best you can provide is to make an ETL trace when the issue happens:

1) open an Administrator command prompt 

2) navigate to `Program Files\OpenXR-Meta-Foveated`

3) run the command `wpr -start tracing.wprp -filemode`

4) capture a few seconds of the issue, make sure to move your headset around so we can see the tracking data passed from Oculus to the game

5) back to the command prompt run `wpr -stop trace.etl`

6) compress the file `trace.etl` and send it over to me

Thanks very much for your advice. I will test with the guardian on and off and get you the logs if it is still not working with the guardian back on.  It's about 0920 here so may not be able to do it for 6 hours or so.

8 minutes ago, nikoel said:

I’m at my abbreviation capacity. What does HTCC stand for? Googling got me nowhere 

That's Fred's Hand Tracking Cockpit Clicking app to give Quest Pro (and other headsets) cockpit clicking in DCS. I guess you don't have this installed?

Home | HTCC (fredemmott.com)

38 minutes ago, slughead said:

That's Fred's Hand Tracking Cockpit Clicking app to give Quest Pro (and other headsets) cockpit clicking in DCS. I guess you don't have this installed?

Home | HTCC (fredemmott.com)

I have a PointCTRL V2 but not HTCC

i have read it. But don’t get the point. I already can point and click with PointCTRL. What does this do for me?

12 minutes ago, nikoel said:

i have read it. But don’t get the point. I already can point and click with PointCTRL. What does this do for me?

Nothing more than you have now. That's useful information for this issue though thanks. FYI, HTCC can be used without pointctrl using finger-touching gestures. It takes some getting used to and I expect pointctrl works better for the mouse clicking. I'm still waiting for my pointctrl.... 14 months so far.

28 minutes ago, slughead said:

Nothing more than you have now. That's useful information for this issue though thanks. FYI, HTCC can be used without pointctrl using finger-touching gestures. It takes some getting used to and I expect pointctrl works better for the mouse clicking. I'm still waiting for my pointctrl.... 14 months so far.

It will be worth the wait...

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

5 hours ago, slughead said:

Thanks very much for your advice. I will test with the guardian on and off and get you the logs if it is still not working with the guardian back on.  It's about 0920 here so may not be able to do it for 6 hours or so.

I think that might solve your issue as I had something similar. The blue circle was bothering me so I disabled guardian. Then I started to lose tracking, put the guardian back. Ever since I haven’t lost tracking, and for some reason, luckily, the guardian circle only shows up occasionally so it doesn’t break immersion anymore. 

Alienware Aurora R10, Ryzen 5800X3D, RTX4080, 32GB RAM, Pimax Crystal, Winwing F18 throttle, VKB Gunfighter F14 Stick, VKB Modern Combat Grip, Logitech Rudder pedals, DOF Reality H3

5 hours ago, nikoel said:

- support for more games
- you can mix and match: quest hand tracking, but with pointctrl finger units for the clicking. This can be better or worse; for me, it means that I don't need a cable to the headset, or blackout curtains on my window 🙂

My projects:

OpenKneeboard - VR and non-VR kneeboard with optional support for drawing tablets; get help
HTCC - Quest hand tracking for DCS; get help

If you need help with these projects, please use their 'get help' links above; I'm not able to track support requests on these forums.

Any other threads on HTCC? I am using Oculus OpenXR, so how does HTCC work in DCS? Should I enable controller simulation?

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

23 minutes ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Any other threads on HTCC? I am using Oculus OpenXR, so how does HTCC work in DCS? Should I enable controller simulation?

Take a look at Fred's signature just above your comment.

• Thanks 1