Foveated Rendering Support for DCS

hannibal

I’ve skim read the 12ish pages of this thread but am at a loss as to whether or not there is a performance gain to be had for those with 4090 GPUs. is it only mid-tier/older gen cards that benefit from using DFR and mbucchia’s mod?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

30 minutes ago, obious said:

I’ve skim read the 12ish pages of this thread but am at a loss as to whether or not there is a performance gain to be had for those with 4090 GPUs. is it only mid-tier/older gen cards that benefit from using DFR and mbucchia’s mod?

I run a 9900k at 5.1 GHz with a 4090 GPU and the gain for me was huge.

• Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Not only in terms of fps, frame rate has also improved too.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

4 hours ago, VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants said:

Dunno why this happens as I experience this with MiG-29 and F-14. It also happen quite consistently when I check six.

Disable Lens Effects, as indicated in the instructions:

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki#dcs-world

I don't know how many times we're going to have to repeat that one before people start reading the instructions on the website...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

2 hours ago, obious said:

It’s very easy to setup, give it a try

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

There's a new version 1.1 available: https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki#setup

Changelog

- Fix performance issue with OpenXR-OBSMirror.
- Fix crash with Oculus runtime upon taking off the headset.
- Better handling of eye blinking.
- Tweak default settings for Fixed Foveated Rendering mode.
- Fix crash with Vive OpenXR runtime.
- Disable Turbo Mode with SteamVR OpenXR runtime.
- Add debugging/performance tracing (for developer only).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 hours ago, mbucchia said:

There's a new version 1.1 available: https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki#setup

Changelog

- Fix performance issue with OpenXR-OBSMirror.
- Fix crash with Oculus runtime upon taking off the headset.
- Better handling of eye blinking.
- Tweak default settings for Fixed Foveated Rendering mode.
- Fix crash with Vive OpenXR runtime.
- Disable Turbo Mode with SteamVR OpenXR runtime.
- Add debugging/performance tracing (for developer only).

I’m only asking as you mention it your change log but is DVF with the QP compatible with SteamVR, I thought it wasn’t?

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Quick question....I am NOT using it alongside the toolkit, purely standalone.........Pretty sure I did not do the return to default step as shown in the latest instrcutions....its all working fine, can I assume that I am good and that I should only worry about wiping previous toolkit settings if I want to start running the toolkit with the DFR? 

Thanks! 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Just now, markturner1960 said:

Quick question....I am NOT using it alongside the toolkit, purely standalone.........Pretty sure I did not do the return to default step as shown in the latest instrcutions....its all working fine, can I assume that I am good and that I should only worry about wiping previous toolkit settings if I want to start running the toolkit with the DFR? 

Thanks! 

Correct.

• Thanks 1

And sorry, another question....I have a separate sim rig for Helos, running off my hand down kit after upgrades, currently a 2080ti and a G2 headset. Am I correct in thinking from reading the instrcutions, that I simply use the fixed foveated rendering via the performance tools in this case? And that this software only works with eyetracking headsets? Or is there a mode within this software that I need to set to use which is better than the original option in the performance toolkit? Pretty sure its the former, but wanted to double check....

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

2 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

And sorry, another question....I have a separate sim rig for Helos, running off my hand down kit after upgrades, currently a 2080ti and a G2 headset. Am I correct in thinking from reading the instrcutions, that I simply use the fixed foveated rendering via the performance tools in this case? And that this software only works with eyetracking headsets? Or is there a mode within this software that I need to set to use which is better than the original option in the performance toolkit? Pretty sure its the former, but wanted to double check....

You can use QVFR for fixed-foveated rendering. There are settings for this which can be applied in the user config file.

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki/Advanced-Configuration#settings-specific-to-fixed-foveated-rendering

It works very well. 

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

6 hours ago, obious said:

I’m only asking as you mention it your change log but is DVF with the QP compatible with SteamVR, I thought it wasn’t?

You can only get eye tracking on Quest Pro via Oculus, not SteamVR. 

If you use SteamVR you will get FFR.

1 minute ago, freehand said:

With new version or in general ?

I see no reason the new version would help more with performance than the previous. All the changes were either bug fixes or enabling other headsets to use FFR.

Edited by mbucchia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, freehand said:

With new version or in general ?

In general. But I've just configured it for a first time, so it is a new version.

Edited by sea2sky

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base

9 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

Anyone with an idea?

Not sure if this is the issue but make sure turbo mode is disabled. It causes unstable behavior on the Pico 4 unless you cap the frame rate. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Qcumber said:

You can use QVFR for fixed-foveated rendering. There are settings for this which can be applied in the user config file.

https://github.com/mbucchia/Quad-Views-Foveated/wiki/Advanced-Configuration#settings-specific-to-fixed-foveated-rendering

It works very well. 

OK (and sorry to labour the point on this...) so, two things - 1) Is the FFR via QVFR better than using the FFR via the toolkit ?   And 2) if I want to try the FFR via QVFR, I should follow the wipe all previous settings from the toolkit procedure, turn it all off in toolkit and it will be automatically enabled with QVFR ? 

Thank you! 

32 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

OK (and sorry to labour the point on this...) so, two things - 1) Is the FFR via QVFR better than using the FFR via the toolkit ?   And 2) if I want to try the FFR via QVFR, I should follow the wipe all previous settings from the toolkit procedure, turn it all off in toolkit and it will be automatically enabled with QVFR ? 

Thank you! 

1) Yes, I believe that QVFR is superior to the one in OXRTK. I get about 10-15 fps better with QVFR. 

2) The official advice is to reset OXRTK but the main issues are making sure FFR and turbo are disabled. I accidentally ran these together yesterday after the update and it looked terrible. I would suggest setting OXRTK to baseline and then start reintroducing your normal settings from there. 

QVFR ran straight out of the box for me but you will need to set up a user config file for your headset if you want to tweak anything. It's not as user friendly as OXRTK yet. 

Ok, so after playing around with this for the past few hours I thought I'd provide my 2 cents.

1. The performance improvement is immediately apparent. After runnning a simple NTTR F-18 free flight mission (with Broken Clouds 7 on Ultra, 2x MSAA) that struggled, the same mission becomes instantly playable.
  2. I'm finding it difficult to dial in my settings (to take account of the additional system resources I now have. Prior to DFR, I was seeing around 30% headroom being reported via the OTT HUD Performance view but when using DFR, that number jumps to 98%. I'm not entirely sure its accurate as after changing some settings to utilize the system headroom (MSAA now at 4x, render scalling in the OTT at 1.2), that 98% headroom figure doesn't really change. The only impact I see is that the Quest Pro I'm using drops down to 45PFS from 90FPS (which I rearly experienced before).
  3. After closing DCS and starting it again (to change an OTT setting etc),  DCS hangs (white box; see attached image). Anyone else experienced this?
  4. Not sure if this is a DFR thing or not but the sound is very 'choppy'. I'm using an encode resolution of 3664 and an Encode Bitrate of 960 but I'm not entirely sure if these settings are correct?
  5. When using DFR, I notice what I can only describe as a 'box' that follows my line of sight/my eyes and is viewable only in the periphery (I'm assuming this is the 'fully' rendered image vs. the lower-res part of the quad-view). Its only noticible when looking at parts of the rendered image that span high brightness/contrast levels (like when I look back at the wings of my F-18 and I can see both the sea and the sky in the saame image. Not sure if I need to tune the settings.cfg here somewhat/somehow.
  6. Whilst the instructions are great and perfectly clear, I think using DFR with the Quest Pro may not be for everyone. I had to setup a Meta developer account (which required a credit card and home address) and toggle a bunch of settings deep in the bowls of the Oculus software. 

Capture.PNG

Edited by obious
  • Like 1

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale