DCS... Discord or in game VOIP?

lobo

14 minutes ago, lobo said:

Hey,

I'm just getting back into DCS after a while away. Dipping my toes into mp flying. I'm wondering about voice coms, have people switched over to in game VOIP or still using discord?

Thanks

Most use SRS Radio plugin. Some servers use Discord. I don’t think I’ve seen any public ones use the built in VOIP

• Like 1

Intel i7 13700k, ASUS  rog strix z790A, 64gigs G.Skill Trident DDR5 @6400Mhz, Nvidia  RTX 4080FE, 2x 2TB Samsung M.2 NVME, 2x 1TB Samsung SSD,  Corsair RM1000x, Corsair h100i 240mm cooler, Lian Li LanCool 3, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate, VKB STECS , MFG Crosswinds, Track IR5, 48” LG UltraGear OLED & HP 24” touchscreen for Helios, Streamdeck XL, DCS-UFC App, Corsair Virtuoso RGB Headphones

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2023 at 10:11 AM, MadKreator said:

Most use SRS Radio plugin. Some servers use Discord. I don’t think I’ve seen any public ones use the built in VOIP

We have DCS VoIP enabled on our public servers in addition to SRS.  I've never heard of anyone using the built-in option, though.  They use either Discord or SRS.

Early Cold War Servers

https://discord.gg/VGC7JxJWDS

On 2/6/2023 at 3:54 PM, lobo said:

Hey,

I'm just getting back into DCS after a while away. Dipping my toes into mp flying. I'm wondering about voice coms, have people switched over to in game VOIP or still using discord?

Thanks

SRS mostly in my experience

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

8 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

SRS mostly in my experience

Totally agree, Simple Radio is the best audio support for DCS so far. We use this one in our internal missions as well as the Joint Squadron Missions.

While for random evening squadron flight, we still use TeamSpeak ( rather than discord ) since it's have better sound quality and less performance impact on systems.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

• 6 months later...

Can someone enlighten me here please?!

I was always wondering what that SRS is and why do people use it, when DCS has ingame VOIP.

I tried the ingame option and it worked.

I try to keep additional programs at a minimum if possible, simply because I find it annoying to take care of all of them.

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

3 hours ago, Phantom711 said:

Can someone enlighten me here please?!

I was always wondering what that SRS is and why do people use it, when DCS has ingame VOIP.

I tried the ingame option and it worked.

I try to keep additional programs at a minimum if possible, simply because I find it annoying to take care of all of them.

To be fair, I've never used the in-game VOIP so I can't compare directly, but as I understand it, until fairly recently (like <6 months ago) there was a lot more functionality with SRS vs the in-game.  The in-game apparently didn't work very well prior to a big update on it recently.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/15/2023 at 12:00 AM, rob10 said:

To be fair, I've never used the in-game VOIP so I can't compare directly, but as I understand it, until fairly recently (like <6 months ago) there was a lot more functionality with SRS vs the in-game.  The in-game apparently didn't work very well prior to a big update on it recently.

One of the main advantages SRS still has is, that if somebody is on his laptop using lotatc, he can command the others without having dcs running on the system, that is the most vital part lacking in the builtin voip in my opinion.

• Like 2

Louis|Dancer, foundation member of the digital Swiss Air Force, a group of enthusiasts trying to imitate everything that has to do with Swiss military aviation on dcs. If you want to join us, contact us via instagram.

our youtube chanel:dSAF

our instagram:dSAF

my rusty pc: msi gtx1080ti / ryzen 5 2600x / ga-ab350 gaming motherboard / 16gb ram / rift cv1 / warthog

On 10/1/2023 at 6:57 AM, dSAF Dancer said:

One of the main advantages SRS still has is, that if somebody is on his laptop using lotatc, he can command the others without having dcs running on the system, that is the most vital part lacking in the builtin voip in my opinion.

Ah.  That's a good point i hadn't thought of.

Another thing worth noting is that SRS also allows for external API's.

I fly on servers that use RJ's OverlordBot, so we can do things like call bogey dope over the radio (with our voice), and have a voice response back from overlord bot with the response.  Seriously, if you've never used overlord bot, you're missing out.

SRS also allows other external sounds to play, so you can have radio stations that you can tune into during flight to listen to, or anything else you can think of.

For instance, using MOOSE you can also have text to voice, so you can dynamically have responses come in over the radio that the script feeds in as text. This can be handy for things such as ATIS, etc. 

From what I understand DCS's own coms does not allow API access / external input, and from what I can gather, there's no plans to open it up to allow for it either. As such, I haven't even tried the internal voice feature. It's never really made sense to me why DCS has implemented it considering that there's already a solution available that's got more functionality than ED even plan on allowing with their own. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dangerzone said:

It's never really made sense to me why DCS has implemented it considering that there's already a solution available that's got more functionality than ED even plan on allowing with their own.

Mods are mods and I don't like to mess with them, so do many users, esp. when they are overlays. Voicechat is integrated with our aircraft's radio and it's supposed to work just like that out of the box.

Here's the roadmap as it was in plans in 2019:

DCS Voice Chat Roadmap -

• Q4 2019
    • Bug fixing of the initial release
    • Illumination of the PTT button while transmitting

[*]Iteration 1 - Q1 2020

• User-created rooms
    • Auto-created rooms for multi-crew
    • Auto-created rooms for key frequencies set in the Mission Editor

[*]Iteration 2

• Show the name of the user who is talking at the moment
    • Possibility to tune volume of own mic
    • Possibility to put on/off the voice of any user
    • Possibility to tune the volume of any user
    • Mic self-test
    • Software boost of the audio signal

[*]Iteration 3

• Frequency-based coms
    • Encrypted radio
    • Possibility to work with few radios simultaneously

[*]Iteration 4

• Radio effects on voice transmission
    • Real radio visibility depending on the power of actual radio units and terrain

[*]Iteration 5

• Comm jamming effect with additional zones for EW

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria