Quest Pro vs G2 Impressions - 4090/7950x3D

DirtyMike0330

Sad...still very sad...

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

23 hours ago, YoYo said:

Hmmmm. I feel like you're talking about something else. I know we're talking about the whole screen in Oculus App, but just count it. So you're supposed to have 6464x3328 for the whole screen if its more understandable to you, because that gives you 1.3 and then 1.15. Real resolution reporting is available in the OpenXR Toolkit also (as hiden option). In Oculus App self you cant reach more than 2816x2896 (72Hz) per eye as I see vs need 3232x3328 so my question was very simply if you wrote that its possible to put higher resolution in Oculus App, more than 2816x2896 per eye so more than 5408x2736 in Oculus home. I hope its clear for you. Maybe you fly only with defalut resolution so you dont need it, I dont know.

I have posted my settings many times. I don't use the default render resolution as that is blurry. I adjust it until the text on the F-16 DED is clear. Just for you, as you're "special", here they are again...

image.pngnull

image.png

Edited by slughead
  • Like 1

New to Quest Pro, got it today. No matter what I do, DCS does not want to start in VR. Read this and some other topics here, but no luck so far.

I am connected over a cable successfully (in Oculus app and in VR headset), but not with the one which came in the box (what a shame, why they give it anyway), but I use one of my own.

Anyway, I press Quest Link Rift from Quick settings, then I come to some black page with three dots blinking... and thats it. Don't even know how to come out of this. Then after few minutes I get a message "Quest Link isn't responding", And Close button. And then back to main lobby (image with a house and some waterfalls). 

---

PS: some progress, I am hearing sound now in DCS when it come to the main page - but no picture, only those 3 white dots are blinking (still).

There is an issue with a cable, although I have connected it to USB 3.2 (10 Gbps), Oculus app says its connected to USB 2.0 (360 Mbps). Is this maybe the problem? Might be the cable issue as well.

Edited by skywalker22

1 hour ago, skywalker22 said:

There is an issue with a cable, although I have connected it to USB 3.2 (10 Gbps), Oculus app says its connected to USB 2.0 (360 Mbps). Is this maybe the problem? Might be the cable issue as well.

Used to be a snake-oil marketing tactic that you 'need a special cable'... These days it's a reality.  Get your hands on a certified USB 3.1 or 3.2 cable and it will probably work.  (Don't trust that Amazon will send a real 3.2 cable, even if it explicitly says so.... Ask me how I know) 😉

• Like 1

MSI Z790 Carbon - i9-139000k - RTX 4090 - 64GB DDR5 - (3x) WD SN850X - HP Reverb G2

12 hours ago, Festom said:

Nobody use fov multiplier? 0.85 and free fps

Can you elaborate a little on what it does? 

• Like 1

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

7 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

There is an issue with a cable, although I have connected it to USB 3.2 (10 Gbps), Oculus app says its connected to USB 2.0 (360

This is not what you want to see when you test the link cable. You should see USB3 and speed above 1.9 gbps. Also when you see these 3 dots, try: disconnect Oculus, power off both PC and oculus and start up again. Sometimes you need to reconnect the Oculus cable on the fly to get rid of this problem. Most times I’ve seen this behavior was when I was switching between different Hz settings (72,80,90)

2 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

It renders a smaller area on your headset and thus increasing FPS performance. Usually you don’t see the black bars around the image until you hit 0.75 but each individual sees it differently. As with most settings in ODT, you need to put it before you start DCS. To get a feeling what it is just try an extreme figure first like 0.5 (it should look like a tunnel view)

• Thanks 2

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

15 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

This is not what you want to see when you test the link cable. You should see USB3 and speed above 1.9 gbps. Also when you see these 3 dots, try: disconnect Oculus, power off both PC and oculus and start up again. Sometimes you need to reconnect the Oculus cable on the fly to get rid of this problem. Most times I’ve seen this behavior was when I was switching between different Hz settings (72,80,90)

Thx.
Am I right about the USB-C to USB-C cable which is in the box of Quest Pro, that is only meant for charging, and not for connectivity with Link cable to PC (with at 10Gpps)? 

8 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Thx.
Am I right about the USB-C to USB-C cable which is in the box of Quest Pro, that is only meant for charging, and not for connectivity with Link cable to PC (with at 10Gpps)? 

Yes it shouldn’t be good for connectivity (at least the Q2 one wasn’t) 

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

18 minutes ago, diamond26 said:

Yes it shouldn’t be good for connectivity (at least the Q2 one wasn’t) 

I wrote to Meta, and wrote all what was on my mind. Isn't a shame, that you have to buy a (f*cking) new cable to connect 1000+€ worth equipment? I would assume that cable comes with the box. I had exactly the same issue with I bought Reverb G2 - I had to buy a V2 cable additionally - but HP paid for it, after some ugly talk. Seems that the story repeats ones again.

Just don't get it, how they cannot provide the right cable inside-the-box.

6 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

I wrote to Meta, and wrote all what was on my mind. Isn't a shame, that you have to buy a (f*cking) new cable to connect 1000+€ worth equipment? I would assume that cable comes with the box. I had exactly the same issue with I bought Reverb G2 - I had to buy a V2 cable additionally - but HP paid for it, after some ugly talk. Seems that the story repeats ones again.

You don’t have to use a cable. You could use Air Link. That’s why it’s optional.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

Unfortunately Quest headsets are sold as standalone VR headsets. PCVR comes as an option. But I use a good cable from these guys and I am extra satisfied. https://eu.vrcover.com/collections/all/products/premium-usb-c-cable-for-oculus™-quest-2-2m

Edited by diamond26

1 hour ago, skywalker22 said:

Those are two quite different experiences. The HP is a PCVR device, they had some issues with cables supplied and replaced them with an updated design on request where people experienced issues.

The Quest Pro is sold as a standalone devices with a charging cable in the box. If you want to connect it to a PC that is an option that many wouldn’t wish to pay extra for a connecting cable.

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

8 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Thx.

Correct.

I believe that the included cable is USB2 standard, not 3.1, which has a massively higher data transmission capability

Edited by Mr_sukebe

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

11 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Reduce the image size. With 0.85 you see the same, but dont lose gpu power generating things that you cant see.

0.85 its perfect for me. For example, with 0.7 , can see black if i look at the edges.

Sorry for my english

9 hours ago, diamond26 said:

It renders a smaller area on your headset and thus increasing FPS performance. Usually you don’t see the black bars around the image until you hit 0.75 but each individual sees it differently. As with most settings in ODT, you need to put it before you start DCS. To get a feeling what it is just try an extreme figure first like 0.5 (it should look like a tunnel view)

45 minutes ago, Festom said:

Reduce the image size. With 0.85 you see the same, but dont lose gpu power generating things that you cant see.

0.85 its perfect for me. For example, with 0.7 , can see black if i look at the edges.

Sorry for my english

Very surprised (with only preliminary testing) but using .087, I was actually able to maintain 90fps on Enigma's Cold War server, even while in the area of a 3-4 plane dogfight, at high altitude and also screaming around on the deck. Now, there were only like 20 people online in the server at the time, and who knows what other factors would play into that, but honestly very surprising on the initial test. I'll have to try it on a few more MP servers and see if it stays consistent. Thanks for the suggestion! 

Edited by DirtyMike0330
  • Like 1

Does this has to be done through the debug tool, or can you use the FOV multiplier on OTT? in that there are 2 boxes for entering numbers into though....so how does that work? Can you use either? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

Does this has to be done through the debug tool, or can you use the FOV multiplier on OTT? in that there are 2 boxes for entering numbers into though....so how does that work? Can you use either? 

You can set it on the Oculus Tray Tool. One is for the horizontal and the other one for the vertical if I'm not mistaken.

On investigation, the OTT setting is for the 2D monitor, so it needs to be set in ODT. I changed it from 0; 0   to 0; 0.85  ( I have no idea what the first zero and semi colon are? ) Is this correct? 

Edited by markturner1960

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

On investigation, the OTT setting is for the 2D monitor, so it needs to be set in ODT. I changed it from 0; 0   to 0; 0.85  ( I have no idea what the first zero and semi colon are? ) Is this correct? 

I did the same number for both, assuming that is correct. It is "Horizontal; Vertical" (or the other way around, but you get the point lol)

5 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

Description is wrong. It totally affects VR. Try setting both values to 0.50 and you'll feel like you're looking through a shoe box 😅

0.0 is default afaik. With 0.85 you're rendering 85% of vertical/horizontal resolution (I don't know which is which, I set both numbers to the same value).

Set "visual hud" option in OTT to  "pixel density", so you can see how resolution changes as you modify the values.

Remember you cannot edit those numbers "on the fly". You need to set them before connecting the headset through link/airlink.

Edited by diego999
typo
  • Like 1

So basically you can change to 0.85, then increase resolution or do an override in the tool if you are already maxed? Get roughly same performance but better visual quality, or just better performance if you fancy that.

25 minutes ago, TZeer said:

So basically you can change to 0.85, then increase resolution or do an override in the tool if you are already maxed? Get roughly same performance but better visual quality, or just better performance if you fancy that.

More or less yes. You can also check the OpenXR toolkit log where it shows at which resolution it renders. You can also play with upscaling getting even more performance