Better AWACS callouts

Inf

I don't know how it works in the real world, but I find in-game AWACS radio chat so noisy that it's almost useless. If you're in an environment with multiple bogeys the radio becomes a constant stream of BRA calls. I'd like to see it:

•  prioritise calls based on the situation (if a bogey turns hot on you or comes within a set distance)
  •  (not sure if realistic) give contacts an identifier so you know which contact they're talking about
  • let you know when a contact disappears or is killed
  • only bug you when the situation changes or you request an update

Something like  "bandit alpha, BRA 030, 45 miles, 20thousand hot, bandit bravo BRA 035 50 miles, 20thousand hot, bandit charlie BRA 095, 10 miles, 15thousand cold" ..... "bandit alpha now cold. bandit bravo now cold"  "bandit charlie splashed".

• Like 8

If you're curious, you can find the real information on how it works here: [PUBLIC RELEASE DISTRO A] https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/ARN33396-ATP_3-52.4-000-WEB-1.pdf - also look up P-877 for the Navy/AIC side of it (also public release)

I agree though, the current AWACS comm is ridiculous, its only "saving grace" is the BRAA spam is telepathic so not everyone hears it, it would be 10x worse if the current system wasn't telepathic.

Luckily most of AIC/ABM comm is public release, so there's no blockers for knowledge, ED just needs to improve it when they have allocate resources to that. It's one of those things that would be super nice to have, even the human controllers often would rather fly, so plenty of missions go without control.

For your information:

prioritise calls based on the situation (if a bogey turns hot on you or comes within a set distance)

This is real, typically the AIC/ABM will just say something like "Bear, Single group, maneuver hot" but it depends on the situation.

> (not sure if realistic) give contacts an identifier so you know which contact they're talking about

Yes, this is realistic, groups are given labels, e.g. `single group`, or `north group`, or `lead group` (see the docs for all of the naming)

> let you know when a contact disappears or is killed

They would say either `faded` or `vanished` depending if there was weapons correlation or not.

only bug you when the situation changes or you request an update

This is more of a complicated answer, but yes they will minimize comms as your proceed on your timeline and get closer unless its an important call (e.g. threat, cross court, untargeted, merge, etc.)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this, because it's becoming more important with the modules available now and in the near future lacking datalink.

I'd be enormously grateful if bogey dope calls were more informative purely because we don't have an AI controller.  "Hot/cold/flanking" is fine for general awareness and seems to be fairly correct to real life, but without having a controller to talk to, I often find that it isn't informative enough to run an intercept with my radar on standby unless I'm in something with a situational awareness display and a datalink.  Adding a "track" callout with direction would be a massive upgrade with what I believe would be a fairly small amount of effort.  Something like "Bandit, 230 for 50, angels 18, track north-east".

But even better would be the ability to tell the AWACS that you are committing to a group called out via the F10 menu, and then to get greater detail. If more than one possible group exists to target, then select it via F10.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

I would like to be able to put in a range filter. I don't get why it gives callouts for bandits 180 miles away before an enemy in threat range. It could also cut down on chatter. Another feature would be the AWACS can call for assistance when it's being threatened. 

• Like 2

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

Because there's no filter, you said it.

My partial ideal, to begin with:

Give a BRAASIT for the given contact if seen for the first time or beyond a certain range:

Bearing

Range

Altitude

Aspect

Speed

Identification (type of aircraft if known, making this realistic would require some work but the AWACS can be assumed to know the type)

Track (ie. bandit's heading in degrees)

When the contact gets closer, BRAA will suffice

Bonus stuff: 

Multiple frequencies for awacs, assigning controllers to various flights and responsibility zones

Responsibility zones

Tunable and automatic recognition of bandit entry into an AOR - ie. a 3 minute vector.  If the far end of the vector remains in the AOR for some amount of time, announce the bandit.  This immediately takes of reaction time for high vs low speed bandits as well, though it can be improved.

AWACS and other HVAA should have a default 'run away' behavior that can be tuned - ie. run to nearest fighters or SAM, as long as it is away from the bandits.   As well they could shut down the radar and drop into the notch.

Aircraft in DCS have TWS tracks - give them to the AWACS also so they don't have to constantly 'pop up' a new target if someone is popping in and out of radar contact before the track expires.

Make AWACS capable of classifying that some aircraft are in a group without having to resort to 'knowing' that they're in the same editor group - ie. learn to actually declare real groups.

Make AWACS capable of classifying things like CAPs by matching the track pattern to 'what looks like' a CAP, including knowledge of the aircraft type.

• Like 5

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 5 months later...

Come on ED, it's here, You just need to pick it up!

Edited by Amarok_73

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.