DCS Optimized Textures

On 6/26/2023 at 6:00 PM, Taz1004 said:

All of them.  Windows temp, your browser temp (not cookies and passwords).  If a download always fails at same point, it might be the unfinished download in your temp folder is corrupted.

Just to follow up, I did complete the downloads of the core files, and as far as I can tell #s 1, 4 & 5 are fine. But #s 2 and 3 show a data error when I try to unzip to OvGME. I re-downloaded the files again (twice) and they continue to show a data error.

Thanks for all your hard work. Sorry to be such a problem child, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

47 minutes ago, Bluecat said:

Just to follow up, I did complete the downloads of the core files, and as far as I can tell #s 1, 4 & 5 are fine. But #s 2 and 3 show a data error when I try to unzip to OvGME. I re-downloaded the files again (twice) and they continue to show a data error.

Thanks for all your hard work. Sorry to be such a problem child, but I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

What are you using to unzip

3 hours ago, Bluecat said:

7-zip file manager

Is that wrong?

I'm getting about a 7% reduction of Vram and Ram usage from this. Can't tell if there's any improvement in loading times. There appears to be some kind of bug with DCS that is causing load times to be quite long and random. Somtimes my load times were better, sometimes they were not.

image.png

Edited by FusRoPotato
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FusRoPotato said:

I'm only getting about a 7% reduction of Vram and Ram usage from this. Can't tell if there's any improvement in loading times. There appears to be some kind of bug with DCS that is causing load times to be quite long and random. Somtimes my load times were better, sometimes they were not.

image.png

Current version of DCS is not a good version to test it on as it has load time issue not related to textures.

And as I stated in first post, more VRAM will be saved with heavier mission.  If your test mission only uses 6.35GB default, I'm assuming it's pretty empty and there's not much object to save VRAM from.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Current version of DCS is not a good version to test it on as it has load time issue not related to textures.

And as I stated in first post, more VRAM will be saved with heavier mission.  If your test mission only uses 6.35GB default, I'm assuming it's pretty empty and there's not much object to save VRAM from.

Good to know I am not the only one suffering from the long load times

Bad to know it is an issue...  It seems ED run too much to launch F15 without reviewing rest of the code...

1 hour ago, KCOOL said:

Good to know I am not the only one suffering from the long load times

Bad to know it is an issue...  It seems ED run too much to launch F15 without reviewing rest of the code...

These two things are not connected... Razbam developed the F15 not ED, and the issue occurs on the BETA version of DCS...

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

5 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

It was a multiplayer server with around 30 aircraft and 350 ground units, many of which are shooting and pathing about, loading onto a super-carrier slot with about an additional 5 aircraft parked on it. I was using the core and livery packs and loading into the Caucasus map.

Load times are definitely off the wall, long, and seemingly random regardless of the mod.

Edited by FusRoPotato

9 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Explains the randomness and huge discrepancy.  Multiplayer is not a good place to run benchmarks due to too many variables.

Fresh server start - no players - same slot chosen. Perfect setting for a benchmark and it's why the ram values and fps hardly deviate. The randomness is in loading time, not capacity. Can't really call it multiplayer in this case or claim variables.

Edited by FusRoPotato

@Taz1004 it appears that the gazelle textures are currently broken, if I enable the core textures I get a load of missing textures. For now I've removed the gazelle folder from the mod package and all is good.

Not sure if you were aware or not🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

14 minutes ago, edmuss said:

@Taz1004 it appears that the gazelle textures are currently broken, if I enable the core textures I get a load of missing textures. For now I've removed the gazelle folder from the mod package and all is good.

Not sure if you were aware or not🙂

Which part of gazelle?  I don't have Gazelle so I can only view it in Encyclopedia and seems to look fine with core.

image.jpeg

It all looks ok from outside but this is the inside 🙂

image.png

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

48 minutes ago, edmuss said:

It all looks ok from outside but this is the inside 🙂

image.png

So they put cockpit textures in CoreMods?  Since I can't test the cockpit, all I can recommend is doing what you did for gazelle owners.  Delete the gazelle texture from the mod.

Thanks for bringing it up tho.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Blinde said:

Does Optimized Syria work without problems with the new lightning?

I would delete the Syria mod now.  Appears Ugra have improved optimization and some files are actually smaller than my mod.

Also uploaded another core update.  It's just additional texture for A10C-II's wheel chocks.

I've also removed F-15E files because it's constantly being updated/changed.  If you downloaded it before, delete F-15E from CoreMods/aircraft/ of this mod.

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2023 at 2:50 PM, Shurik75 said:

Hi all !

Here is an archive with optimized Roughmet and Normal files for those objects that are missing in previous builds of optimized textures:  AV8BNA, F-5E, M-2000C, Su-34, Arleigh Burke, LHA Tarawa.

Update_Core_07052023  (220 Mb)

P.S. Taz, you are great!👍

Is this still needed with the latest core and updates? (Specifically AV8)

Disregard...the lack of an overwrite prompt in OVGME suggests it is.

Edited by zildac

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

This looks great, I can't wait to try it! 

Quick question, for the "update core" patch files at the end of the first post, do I need to install all of those, or just the most recent? 

Thanks! 

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 7:45 PM, FupDuck said:

This looks great, I can't wait to try it! 

Quick question, for the "update core" patch files at the end of the first post, do I need to install all of those, or just the most recent? 

Thanks! 

All of them sequentially is my understanding.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero