DCS Optimized Textures

10 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

By a lot?  I get better performance on Syria in MT.

image.gif

By restarting DCS, I do get lower VRAM on same mission than playing multiple missions in a row.  But as long as it's not maxed out, I don't see much difference in FPS.

When you bring up Viggen or Mirage F1 in Encyclopedia, does it show up right away or does it take long time?

Hi Taz, I don't own Mirage or Viggen.

I play f16 and f18, both caucasus and syria, and no matter the plane, yes for me 3080 and 13600k, mt runs much better with all your mods on Caucasus, but for Syria st far better. 

Syria mt +35 fps, st 20 fps (unplayable).

Caucasus mt +40 fps, st 30 fps.

Vram always +90pct, my 10gb 3080 limiting factor, all textures high

Edited by KCOOL

7 hours ago, Pikey said:

I think the release is worthwhile Taz, as its basically a demo of 'what could be', for customers to get behind the value of optimization that you raised oh so long ago.

I don't think you can or want to keep it updated, I've not seen two releases that didn't have changes in this area and people need to keep their expectations very low. But having done this and allowing more than just a few voices on the topic is a good thing for the general objective.

It's good that you have been so passionate about this topic, it's the only thing that makes changes around here. I've no idea what the ED impact is so far, if they decide to go back over them and convert them we will all know if that happens.

Thanks.  Original post was about 3 years ago when A10C-2 was released.  My hope at the time was ED would be more efficient with textures going forward at the least.  But I saw that it was getting worse with every new content such as Shark3, Apache, and new FLIR.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Did you get that backwards?

And you don't have to own the modules to view them in Encyclopedia.

Your mods definitely improve fps. In my case 3080 10gb Syria mt unplayable as vram goes over 100pct. sometimes 45fps, some seconds later 20 fps. But in st stable vram 90pct. all textures high... and 40 fps, a joy for the senses.

Caucasus mt perfect. 40+ fps. awesome with Barthek magic mod.

All these re-starting dcs before every mission. shouldn't be like this (ED Please fix this...), but is what it is.

I now enjoy so much both maps. Thanks to members of the community. Game is improving, but if we had DLSS... Come on ED, I guess this is one of the few games without DLSS in April 2023. I know DLSS is coming in 2023... but it should be here.

Again, thank you Taz, Barthek and so many other members  for all you do for the community.

Edited by KCOOL
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 6:08 PM, KCOOL said:

Your mods definitely improve fps. In my case 3080 10gb Syria mt unplayable as vram goes over 100pct. sometimes 45fps, some seconds later 20 fps. But in st stable vram 90pct. all textures high... and 40 fps, a joy for the senses.

Caucasus mt perfect. 40+ fps. awesome with Barthek magic mod.

All these re-starting dcs before every mission. shouldn't be like this (ED Please fix this...), but is what it is.

I now enjoy so much both maps. Thanks to members of the community. Game is improving, but if we had DLSS... Come on ED, I guess this is one of the few games without DLSS in April 2023. I know DLSS is coming in 2023... but it should be here.

Again, thank you Taz, Barthek and so many other members  for all you do for the community.

Even Maríanas is now somekind of playable, I assume because of the core mod. And the f18 and f16, and canopy glass and so many mods from the community. 25-30 fps for me with high textures. 10-15 fps less than Caucasus or Syria.

Taz, any chances of future optimized textures for Marianas, fhe second free map? Many will be greatful.

Again, thank you.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:20 PM, Blinde said:

This is pure magic for VR. Thank you once again, Taz. I hope ED learns from this.

LoL. Even some users answer to the texture bloat is "disk space is cheap"

@NineLine@BIGNEWYthere must be a way to allow these mods to pass IC?

Edited by SPAS79

• ED Team

Hi, 

the team are taking a much closer look at optimising textures, but it will take some time. 

I will mention the IC to the team, but I will be honest I dont think allowing it to pass the pure integrity check is the right thing to do. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

13 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

Hi, 

the team are taking a much closer look at optimising textures, but it will take some time. 

I will mention the IC to the team, but I will be honest I dont think allowing it to pass the pure integrity check is the right thing to do. 

Please do since mods like this do magic tricks to VR users without any visual difference in quality. There are something fundamentaly wrong in DCS core if these kind of tweaks are required and they work.

Edited by Blinde
  • Like 7

What you're doing is an awesome idea!

Especially the liveries; nobody needs dozens of GB just for that. The F-14 alone has 11.5GB of liveries...; the F-1 has 7.1GB. AH-64 are 5.1GB, etc, etc.

I hope you'll downsize all of the default ones.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Included lua edit that optimizes Clipmaps for all terrains.  This should save couple more hundred MB of VRAM again at no quality loss.  Since it's lua edit, it's very small download.

DOWNLOAD

If you are willing to sacrifice some quality, then reduce the value at line 153 to 512.  Should save another couple hundred MB at very slight reduction in quality on distant mountains.  I actually didn't notice the difference until took screenshots and flip them back and forth.  Any edit you do to this file affects ALL terrains.

This was tested on PG, Caucasus, Syria, and Mariana Islands.

nullimage.gif

Edited by Taz1004
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 7

On 4/25/2023 at 12:24 AM, Taz1004 said:

Included lua edit that optimizes Clipmaps for all terrains.  This should save couple more hundred MB of VRAM again at no quality loss.  Since it's lua edit, it's very small download.

DOWNLOAD

If you are willing to sacrifice some quality, then reduce the value at line 153 to 512.  Should save another couple hundred MB at very slight reduction in quality on distant mountains.  I actually didn't notice the difference until took screenshots and flip them back and forth.  Any edit you do to this file affects ALL terrains.

This was tested on PG, Caucasus, Syria, and Mariana Islands.

nullimage.gif

As always, BIG THANK YOU.

This gives us some additional FPSs.

Silverstone ML08B-H super slim case, z690i, 3080 10G overclocked, 13600K at 5.7Ghz air-cooled, 32G DDR4, DCS ST, FSR 77%, all your mods, OpenXR Toolkit, HP Reverb G2 at 4750 x XXXX resolution with all textures high, x16, 40 FPS solid in Syria VR, 42-45 FPS in Caucasus Barthek. I am able to max VRAM, but not oversaturate it. Every savings on VRAM counts...

Amazing experience, crisp and detailed image, impossible without all your mods.

Again, THANK YOU.

Edited by KCOOL

As someone with only 8GB of VRAM, I'm very grateful for this, thank you 👏 and why isn't this post or mod famous at the forum, considering MT still have a bit of issue at terrain and effect optimization? (my DCS went from 40 fps to 5 fps suddenly just by viewing a dust getting blown by helicopter rotors, and yes it keeps staying on 5 fps despite changing views after that unless restarted) 

• Like 2

Phantom Phorever

1 hour ago, Dr.Cure said:

As someone with only 8GB of VRAM, I'm very grateful for this, thank you 👏 and why isn't this post or mod famous at the forum, considering MT still have a bit of issue at terrain and effect optimization? (my DCS went from 40 fps to 5 fps suddenly just by viewing a dust getting blown by helicopter rotors, and yes it keeps staying on 5 fps despite changing views after that unless restarted) 

Do you have a track for it ?

• Thanks 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

Hello lefuneste01 and DrCure

Do we need someone with a 8gb VRAM GC to play track and try reproduce the problem ?
( and maybe dcs settings about textures that meet this issue ... )

Because, as you kown, a track only replay the inputs of a mission file started ( to be confirmed ).

And Maybe another thread about this specific issue ?
( potential issue related to this main thread about textures )

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dr.Cure said:

I'm not able to replay the track...DCS hangs in loading with only few % of CPU usage.

• Thanks 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

I can't wait to try this out. Yet another reason to not learn a new Module while I am tweaking DCS visuals and chasing more FPS!

• Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

Any work on the F-14 series? The default cockpit texture actually tore the performance down.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

18 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

I'm not able to replay the track...DCS hangs in loading with only few % of CPU usage.

Apologies for this as I was not able to play it either and it hangs as well in the first part of the log

18 hours ago, fab.13 said:

Hello lefuneste01 and DrCure

Do we need someone with a 8gb VRAM GC to play track and try reproduce the problem ?
( and maybe dcs settings about textures that meet this issue ... )

Because, as you kown, a track only replay the inputs of a mission file started ( to be confirmed ).

And Maybe another thread about this specific issue ?
( potential issue related to this main thread about textures )

Thank you for the suggestion and every settings is either off/low depending it can be turned off or not (except for visib. range and textures which is medium, scenery details + preload radius are on middle setting as well at leas for me)

But will post log in the future if I manage to reproduce the problem, stay tuned Gentlemen

EDIT = yes, I use quest 2 for dcs

Edited by Dr.Cure

Phantom Phorever