Storm the gates of Stalingrad

upyr1

• upyr1 changed the title to Storm the gates of Stalingrad

We'd need Stukas, Yaks and a whole lot of others. Eastern Front would be nice one day, but I suspect it'll be a while. DCS is rather US-centric, Brits are getting a little love in WWII, but so far everything that doesn't involve US forces in a big way had been done by 3rd parties. Soviets did use quite a few US-made aircraft, such as the P-39, P-40 and even some Spits and T-bolts (albeit reluctantly, neither was particularly suitable for what VVS needed them for), but not the variants we have.

• Like 2

I think that unfortunately it is not possible to have as many maps as there were interesting battles. But it would be useful to have an option to disable all buildings on the map or trees. Then it would be possible to use modern maps for any historical time. For example, we now have maps that could help to (alternatively) recreate the events in the fjords of Norway, the events around the Northern Convoys (PQ-17?), the battles of the aviation of the Northern Fleet of the USSR. Maps of Sinai and Syria could also be interesting? Perhaps using part of the Normandy map, you can imagine an air battle in Spain

But in general, this is not possible now. I would be very happy to just have a server for the USSR vs Germany on the map of the Caucasus (maybe on the map of Normandy instead of Kuban or Eastern Europe). But now there is nothing like that at all. Although there will be La-7 and there is already  I-16 (this is already a lot by the standards of the DCS of the world). In addition, there are Thunderbolts with official skins of the USSR (thunderbolts were used by the Northern Fleet of the USSR in reality). There is even a mosquito with official skins of the USSR, to some extent they could replace the Pe-2 or Tu-2... By the way, there are also spitfires with official skins of the USSR, which of course will not replace Yak_9 or Yak_1, but can diversify the plain set

P.S. Even for operation overlord there is no suitable historical set, so there is no point in giving up an interesting confrontation simply because "there is no suitable set or map"

Edited by Red_Pilot

On 5/8/2023 at 4:21 PM, Red_Pilot said:

I think that unfortunately it is not possible to have as many maps as there were interesting battles. But it would be useful to have an option to disable all buildings on the map or trees. Then it would be possible to use modern maps for any historical time. For example, we now have maps that could help to (alternatively) recreate the events in the fjords of Norway, the events around the Northern Convoys (PQ-17?), the battles of the aviation of the Northern Fleet of the USSR. Maps of Sinai and Syria could also be interesting? Perhaps using part of the Normandy map, you can imagine an air battle in Spain

But in general, this is not possible now. I would be very happy to just have a server for the USSR vs Germany on the map of the Caucasus (maybe on the map of Normandy instead of Kuban or Eastern Europe). But now there is nothing like that at all. Although there will be La-7 and there is already  I-16 (this is already a lot by the standards of the DCS of the world). In addition, there are Thunderbolts with official skins of the USSR (thunderbolts were used by the Northern Fleet of the USSR in reality). There is even a mosquito with official skins of the USSR, to some extent they could replace the Pe-2 or Tu-2... By the way, there are also spitfires with official skins of the USSR, which of course will not replace Yak_9 or Yak_1, but can diversify the plain set

P.S. Even for operation overlord there is no suitable historical set, so there is no point in giving up an interesting confrontation simply because "there is no suitable set or map"

maps and assets are both important. Right now we have the I-16 there isn't a map or assets 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

WW2 DCS late western front is still lacking lots of stuff. And with some sort of pacific thing coming. No need to spread WW2 DCS any thinner.

We have the I-16 and MiG-15 and no other period RedFor assets. You could probably get the most overlapping assets by focusing on the mid-war years 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

We have the I-16 and MiG-15 and no other period RedFor assets. You could probably get the most overlapping assets by focusing on the mid-war years 

Missing the incoming La-7 (WW2) by Octopus-G. Actual RAZBAM Mig-23MLA and Mig-19P, Belsimteck / ED Mig-15Bis and FC-3 has Cold War / Modern Redfoce Assets.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

3 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

WW2 DCS late western front is still lacking lots of stuff. And with some sort of pacific thing coming. No need to spread WW2 DCS any thinner.

Contrarily, I want it to be spread a lot more. I want especially early to  mid war aircraft (Battle of Britain, North Africa, Eastern Front, etc.).

I don't mind theaters or AI assets too much, well maybe a little in case of AI assets but that's it. I do however, very much want great aircraft made to level we expect in DCS.

There are a few late war stuff I could find interesting still, yes, but I'd much rather see above rather than more late-war laser-focused Europe.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

8 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Missing the incoming La-7 (WW2) by Octopus-G. Actual RAZBAM Mig-23MLA and Mig-19P, Belsimteck / ED Mig-15Bis and FC-3 has Cold War / Modern Redfoce Assets.

I am focusing on the WWII and Korean RedFor modules we have right now. The MIG-19 was post Korea and the La-7 isn't out yet. Anyways, since we need a mix of late and early war assets and we already have a caucuses map I figure asset wise it would make the most sense to focus on mid-war assets that could do double duty with the I-16 and MiG-15, as for maps I figure if ED ever does an overhaul of the Caucuses then adding a WWII mode with Stalingrad would be a good map for the I-16

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

MiG15 doesn't have anything to do with ww2, if someone wants to spend time fleshing out eastern front stuff. That would be great. But given the time ED takes to even make 1 AI assets for ww2. If they spend time on Eastern front. That will be western front that will go unimproved for years.

• Like 2

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

3 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

I am focusing on the WWII and Korean RedFor modules we have right now. The MIG-19 was post Korea and the La-7 isn't out yet. Anyways, since we need a mix of late and early war assets and we already have a caucuses map I figure asset wise it would make the most sense to focus on mid-war assets that could do double duty with the I-16 and MiG-15, as for maps I figure if ED ever does an overhaul of the Caucuses then adding a WWII mode with Stalingrad would be a good map for the I-16

La-7 dont have on WW2, Really?... xD. First Flight on 1 February 1944 and enter combat on 63rd Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment (GIAP) La-7 in mid-September 1944 in support of the 1st Baltic Front, some of inconic WW2 soviet fighters. Mig-15 make first flight on 1947, two years after end WW2, on early cold war, and enter on service on 1949.

What problem have if Octopus-G dont release La-7 now? Will coming on late 2023 or early 2024, more WW2 aircrafts to RedForce.

3 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

MiG15 doesn't have anything to do with ww2,

Both sides of the Cold War were using a lot of WWII leftovers in the late 1940s/ early 1950s.  So in these threads I will always bring up both the I-16 and MiG-15 as both aircraft live in an asset desert. 

3 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

if someone wants to spend time fleshing out eastern front stuff. That would be great. But given the time ED takes to even make 1 AI assets for ww2. If they spend time on Eastern front. That will be western front that will go unimproved for years.

It doesn't matter who adds them, The issue, is whether or not you want them? or are you fine with the I-16 and MiG-15 living in their deserts? Then the La-7 is on the way and now we have 3 modules in an asset desert. I picked on Stalingrad since we have the Caucuses. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

Both sides of the Cold War were using a lot of WWII leftovers in the late 1940s/ early 1950s.  So in these threads I will always bring up both the I-16 and MiG-15 as both aircraft live in an asset desert. 

It doesn't matter who adds them, The issue, is whether or not you want them? or are you fine with the I-16 and MiG-15 living in their deserts? Then the La-7 is on the way and now we have 3 modules in an asset desert. I picked on Stalingrad since we have the Caucuses. 

I want more of everything, but the slow way ED adds AI assets be they land, air or sea. Means that any time spent on making one thing, means months or years before something else is made. Yes I want some eastern front assets (mostly for Korea) 

But it's far far down the priority list. After dozens of western front assets,  Pacific assets. General cold war assets,  Vietnam style infantry,  cold war desert infantry,  updated modern infantry models(as well as plugging obvious holes like red force machine gunners.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Silver_Dragon said:

La-7 dont have on WW2, Really?... xD. First Flight on 1 February 1944 and enter combat on 63rd Guards Fighter Aviation Regiment (GIAP) La-7 in mid-September 1944 in support of the 1st Baltic Front, some of inconic WW2 soviet fighters.

I never said the La-7 isn't a World War II fighter. I did say it wasn't out yet. It is late war its perfect for a Central Europe map.

Mig-15 make first flight on 1947, two years after end WW2, on early cold war, and enter on service on 1949.

I know the MiG-15 is Korean war however both sides of the Cold War used WW2 leftovers. So I am thinking the ideal East Front map right now is a mid war map that would provide the most overlapping assets for the I-16 and MiG-15 or La-7.

What problem have if Octopus-G dont release La-7 now? Will coming on late 2023 or early 2024, more WW2 aircrafts to RedForce.

The problem is we have three planes in an asset desert and when the la-7 comes out we will have 4.  I keep saying it modules need to be built with an ecosystem in mind. Hence the reason for Stalingrad. As I think it would I think we would get the most asset overlap. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

I want more of everything, but the slow way ED adds AI assets be they land, air or sea. Means that any time spent on making one thing, means months or years before something else is made. Yes I want some eastern front assets (mostly for Korea) 

But it's far far down the priority list. After dozens of western front assets,  Pacific assets. General cold war assets,  Vietnam style infantry,  cold war desert infantry,  updated modern infantry models(as well as plugging obvious holes like red force machine gunners.)

If Octopus-G releases the East Front/ Korean War red for asset pack they can just shut up and take my money. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, upyr1 said:

If Octopus-G releases the East Front/ Korean War red for asset pack they can just shut up and take my money. 

I wish Octopus G would release assets to go with their planes(ideally it should be a requirement when you make a module that doesn't fit or work with anything else)

But there's been no hint that they plan on doing that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, upyr1 said:

The I-16 on 1945 was retired from Soviet Forces, and only Nacionalist China (China Civil War?) and Spanish Air Force maintain them some years (1953), no other countries fly them, and no relevant to air campaigns, supresed by other better aircrafts. The only relevant war outside WW2 to a I-16 was the Spanish Civil War (1936-39) by Aerges? and The Far East and battles at Khalkhin Gol Crysis (1939) Dekka, M3?

Caucasus, and plannesets has out of Discussion by the Russian forum. No plans to expand the map or redone by WW2 by the actual "political" situation.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The I-16 on 1945 was retired from Soviet Forces, and only Nacionalist China (China Civil War?) and Spanish Air Force maintain them some years (1953),

That is irrelevant to what I am saying. I know there is about 4 years between the I-16 being retired and the MiG-15 entering service. 

My points are the following 

• There is equipment that served alongside both planes
  • I would like a map for the I-16 which maximumizes the overlap 
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, upyr1 said:

That is irrelevant to what I am saying. I know there is about 4 years between the I-16 being retired and the MiG-15 entering service. 

My points are the following 

• There is equipment that served alongside both planes
  • I would like a map for the I-16 which maximumizes the overlap 

Has better wait a 3rd party make a movement to make them or someone make a new 3rd party centred on east front, has the better solucion.

The other problem has get a plausible scenery with the two aircraft get propper oponents, a very dificult situation, only matched on Soviet Union frontiers (future Orbx Kola map), comunist China or a "hipotetic" scenery as a WW3 on Black Sea, Kola Peninsula, Baltic, Senkaku islands, Korea, Sino-Soviet border conflict  or Central Asia frontiers. 

Edited by Silver_Dragon

22 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Has better wait a 3rd party make a movement to make them or someone make a new 3rd party centred on east front, has the better solucion.

If Octopus-G did it they could just shut up and take my money.

22 hours ago, Silver_Dragon said:

The other problem has get a plausible scenery with the two aircraft get propper oponents, a very dificult situation, only matched on Soviet Union frontiers (future Orbx Kola map), comunist China or a "hipotetic" scenery as a WW3 on Black Sea, Kola Peninsula, Baltic, Senkaku islands, Korea, Sino-Soviet border conflict  or Central Asia frontiers. 

I would love to have an IL-2/10 module that could overlap with the La-7 and the I-16. Kursk and Stalingrad are my top two choices for early and mid war Russian front maps.

The ideal map for the I-16 would be Spain or Khalinin Gol. 

The La-7 being late war would Ideally be a Central Europe map which could double as an early cold war map