KC-10A

g5flyer

Greetings,

I wanted to advocate to bring the mighty KC-10A back. I flew this jet for about 9 years through major operations, fighter drags and good old cargo hauling like FEDEX. This plane was awesome and had major dual role refueling capabilities. It's one of those jets that pass through and everyone wants to get close to it. At airshows, we had the longest lines. I've been at airports world wide and airport/airline personnel wants to get close to take pictures. People are along the fence line snapping away. The plane is a very capable tanker. It's easy to refuel against with it's very large refueling envelope. The body lights will illuminate the aircraft like a baseball field. It can go from boom to drogue in seconds and has wing drogue pods along with the centerline. It's a stable platform even though you have to have some power to punch through the burble and down wash behind the tanker. Routinely B1s would be lighting up burners intermittently on one and two when transitioning the burble. Slow aircraft such as the C-130, heavy A10s and EA-6s would require a toboggan to get in because they didn't have the power to punch through, especially if the slats and flaps were needed to get slow enough to refuel them. For KC10s and other large aircraft, the 135 was notorious with their autopilot disconnecting. If you moved in too quick or popped up too quickly in the envelope, the 135's autopilot would disconnect and the tanker would descend into you. After it happens to you a couple of times, you are readily prepared to break away. The boom also has a rate disconnect that would automatically kick you off the boom if it felt your movement rate will send you past the limits. The boom also had a independent IDS nitrogen disconnect system to blast a receiver off if the normal rate and boomer initiated system failed to release the toggle latches to disconnect. 

The KC-10 is an iconic aircraft and I believe it would be a disservice to this jet if it's not brought back into DCS. If it was decided to bring it back, I can assist with the technical aspects and procedures we used in the aircraft.

Rick       

IMG_2458.JPG

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, g5flyer said:

Slow aircraft such as the C-130, heavy A10s and EA-6s would require a toboggan to get in because they didn't have the power to punch through...

You mean they descended from above into the position?

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Being a KC-135 crewman, it is great seeing some more tanker love. Even for the Gucci 😉 

I wish they'd properly light up the existing -135 model, as it's missing so much that could aid those that struggle with AAR. 
And adding the KC-10 would be a nice option. It's only a mod, at the moment. Good luck in your quest. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Being a KC-135 crewman, it is great seeing some more tanker love. Even for the Gucci 😉 

I wish they'd properly light up the existing -135 model, as it's missing so much that could aid those that struggle with AAR. 
And adding the KC-10 would be a nice option. It's only a mod, at the moment. Good luck in your quest. 

NKAWTG! I added another post some where talking about lighting in general to include tanker lighting. As you said, the under body lighting is crucial in being able to see all the references required to maintain position. Staring at PDI lights only gets you in trouble and you will be unstable and all over the place. You need to clearly see those antennas, markings, wing tips, leading edges, engine nacelles/pylons and flap canoes so that you can keep those eyes moving and have a better indication of where you are in the envelope. I also pointed out that NAV and anti collision lights have to be seen from specific distances. You can easily see anti collision lights of an aircraft at FL450 from the ground. They could also have the tanker lights dim down at a certain distance as they would during checklist. Maybe an option to request different levels of under body lighting from the tanker menu. Formation lights should be brighter too as you depend on these when flying night formations.

I really hope the KC10 and needed light adjustments make it into DCS.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, g5flyer said:

I added another post some where talking about lighting in general to include tanker lighting. As you said, the under body lighting is crucial in being able to see all the references required to maintain position.

THIS!!
I was teaching a guy how to refuel at night and the darkness was just killing it. Some additional illume is so needed.
Let's hope ED hears us and throws us a bone. 

Cheers!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

THIS!!
I was teaching a guy how to refuel at night and the darkness was just killing it. Some additional illume is so needed.
Let's hope ED hears us and throws us a bone. 

Cheers!

While I can refuel at night better lighting would make things a bit easier. I'd also like to see the bow waves and burble for all aircraft modeled. I've been wanting a KC-10 in DCS for a long time and I do hope one day ED will also throw us a B-one.

• Like 1

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

On 5/25/2023 at 10:57 AM, g5flyer said:

NKAWTG! I added another post some where talking about lighting in general to include tanker lighting. As you said, the under body lighting is crucial in being able to see all the references required to maintain position. Staring at PDI lights only gets you in trouble and you will be unstable and all over the place. You need to clearly see those antennas, markings, wing tips, leading edges, engine nacelles/pylons and flap canoes so that you can keep those eyes moving and have a better indication of where you are in the envelope. I also pointed out that NAV and anti collision lights have to be seen from specific distances. You can easily see anti collision lights of an aircraft at FL450 from the ground. They could also have the tanker lights dim down at a certain distance as they would during checklist. Maybe an option to request different levels of under body lighting from the tanker menu. Formation lights should be brighter too as you depend on these when flying night formations.

I really hope the KC10 and needed light adjustments make it into DCS.

I brought this up months ago.  I'm a B-52 guy and you should not need NVGs to AR at night.  In DCS its almost impossible with low illumination.  Most people do not understand what I'm talking about when i say the tanker lighting is lacking.  There are several lights that illuminate the belly of the tanker that are missing.  Hopefully we will see action on this along with other tankers added.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, g5flyer said:

The KC-10 is an iconic aircraft and I believe it would be a disservice to this jet if it's not brought back into DCS. If it was decided to bring it back, I can assist with the technical aspects and procedures we used in the aircraft.

Is this about adding it as an AI only aircraft, or as a flyable module?
Or maybe as Ai aircraft with the option of players operating the boom?

• 4 months later...

Something like the KC10 would attract a lot of new people to DCS like airline sim players as well as real airline pilots that would be interested to see how it is to fly a DC-10 based tanker with a good flight model and actual missions other then just point to point travel.

Edited by Evoman
  • Like 2

Only issue with the KC-10A (though the problem also applies to the MPRS equipped KC-135RT), is that DCS currently only supports an exclusive refueling type per aircraft (so a tanker can either be configured for flying boom or probe-and-drogue, but not both).

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

On 10/26/2023 at 7:48 AM, Northstar98 said:

Only issue with the KC-10A (though the problem also applies to the MPRS equipped KC-135RT), is that DCS currently only supports an exclusive refueling type per aircraft (so a tanker can either be configured for flying boom or probe-and-drogue, but not both).

But how certain are you that this is the way it has to be? I am willing to bet that ED could easily make it so that a KC-10 or KC-135MPRS would be able to service either Probe and drogue or boom/receiver aircraft depending on who is requesting the fuel. It's just not a priority at the moment. Hopefully some day they will get one of those little 'round to its' and make it happen. 😉 

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, AG-51_Razor said:

But how certain are you that this is the way it has to be? I am willing to bet that ED could easily make it so that a KC-10 or KC-135MPRS would be able to service either Probe and drogue or boom/receiver aircraft depending on who is requesting the fuel. It's just not a priority at the moment. Hopefully some day they will get one of those little 'round to its' and make it happen. 😉 

I make no claim as to the current limitation having to be a certain way, I certainly would rather the limitations of the current system be done away with.

I brought up because it would probably be better if DCS supported this first. It would be a pain if we had to say, have 2 different KC-10A, one for flying boom and one for probe and drogue, when it should be a single unit, capable of supporting both.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Then we can have a bunch of missions with the 10 getting Consol'd by 135s, just to offload 6klbs to an A-10 9.5 hours later. lol
Also, accurate oven model for booms to bake dick shaped cookies when?

System: Intel 14700k on MSi z690 DDR4 pro, Arctic Liquid Frozer II 360mm AIO, 64gb ddr4-3600mhz CL16, Gigabyte 4090
Winwing Orion2 F-15EX/F-16EX combo, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, TM Warthog (Shelved)
2x 256gb Vertex 4 SSD's, 2x 1tb Sabrent NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD's, 1x 4.0tb Silicon Power NVMe, 1x 4tb Seagate HDD
VR: Quest 3 (Current), HP Reverb G1 (Shelved)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, sorry i havnt read through all the comments but a friend of mine made a flyable kc-10. its not a fully working model but can be flown for fun/screenshots. ill upload it anyway, dont expect anything perfect and skin packs work nicely on i to. Military Aircraft Mod needed, and i think it uses FC3 files to.

Screen_220723_163316.png

Screen_220213_214003.png

KDC-10.zip

Edited by Kestrel114

• 4 months later...

I think one important thing to keep in mind is that, beyond being pretty to look at, the KC-10 has higher fuel transfer rates via the boom than the KC-135 has, and it also carries a lot more fuel. I know there used to be a KC-10 in DCS back in the day, and I sincerely hope we get one again!

• Like 1

-Col. Russ Everts opinion on surface-to-air missiles: "It makes you feel a little better if it's coming for one of your buddies. However, if it's coming for you, it doesn't make you feel too good, but it does rearrange your priorities."

DCS Wishlist:

MC-130E Combat Talon   |   F/A-18F Lot 26   |   HH-60G Pave Hawk   |   E-2 Hawkeye/C-2 Greyhound   |   EA-6A/B Prowler   |   J-35F2/J Draken   |   RA-5C Vigilante