cbu 87 and cbu 105 release altitude

dave76

On 5/30/2023 at 12:03 PM, dave76 said:

guys at which hof/altitude do you release cbu 87 and cbu 105 ?  do you release in ccip and ccrp ?thanks 🙂

Are you asking about what altitude we set the burst altitude for?  Or are you asking about what altitude we drop them from the jet?

In general, for CBU-105 burst altitudes, I prefer 1000ft.  If it's particularly windy, 750 works too.  

As for release altitude of the weapon itself from the jet, that depends on what I'm dropping on.  Generally, with CBU-105, I'm attacking a SAM site, because DEAD is life! 🙂  That means doing pop up attacks from about 7.5-9nmi and release altitudes between 5k-9k AGL with a 25 degree loft... 

Hopefully ED gets the IAM loft cue fixed so we can go back to yeeting CBU-105's 12nmi again.

My YT Channel (DCS World, War Thunder and World of Warships)

Too Many Modules to List

--Unapologetically In Love With the F-14-- Anytime Baby! --

5 minutes ago, Whiskey11 said:

Are you asking about what altitude we set the burst altitude for?  Or are you asking about what altitude we drop them from the jet?

In general, for CBU-105 burst altitudes, I prefer 1000ft.  If it's particularly windy, 750 works too.  

As for release altitude of the weapon itself from the jet, that depends on what I'm dropping on.  Generally, with CBU-105, I'm attacking a SAM site, because DEAD is life! 🙂  That means doing pop up attacks from about 7.5-9nmi and release altitudes between 5k-9k AGL with a 25 degree loft... 

Hopefully ED gets the IAM loft cue fixed so we can go back to yeeting CBU-105's 12nmi again.

hello Whiskey 11, i am asking at what altitude to drop, but also burst would be nice to know.....

i think burst altitude is set by ground crew - not from the cockpit. until we can change cbu fuses from the rearm/fusing menu, you are advised to not touch fuse altitude in the cockpit, becuase you'll create a missmatch bewteen FCS and actual fuse setting.

that's at least the last information i got. correct me, if this has changed recently.

AFAIK the WCMD dispensers (-103/-105) can interface with the aircraft on the data bus so they can configure the burst altitude (for both) and spin setting (for the -103) from the cockpit.

I believe -87 and -97 are set on the canister.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

15 hours ago, Tholozor said:

AFAIK the WCMD dispensers (-103/-105) can interface with the aircraft on the data bus so they can configure the burst altitude (for both) and spin setting (for the -103) from the cockpit.

I believe -87 and -97 are set on the canister.

This would make a lot of sense. However i would guess, that in order to be configurable via data bus, the 103 and 105 would need to be equipped with a digital fuse that would allow that. I don't know if DCS models such a fuse, or if it uses the same fuse as on the 87 and 97...

Anecdotally i can only say that i got better and more reliable effect on target when not changing the burst parameters in cockpit. Therefore i believe that the 103 and 105 use the same (manually set) fuse as the 87 and 97... I did not test this scientifically, so i could very well be wrong...

5 hours ago, twistking said:

This would make a lot of sense. However i would guess, that in order to be configurable via data bus, the 103 and 105 would need to be equipped with a digital fuse that would allow that. I don't know if DCS models such a fuse, or if it uses the same fuse as on the 87 and 97...

Anecdotally i can only say that i got better and more reliable effect on target when not changing the burst parameters in cockpit. Therefore i believe that the 103 and 105 use the same (manually set) fuse as the 87 and 97... I did not test this scientifically, so i could very well be wrong...

i have been able to toss two 105s with success. i can say that i did not change any parameters of the weapon. 1500 i believe. they seemed to be pretty accurate. 

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

On 6/1/2023 at 8:15 PM, Tholozor said:

WCMD dispensers (-103/-105) can interface with the aircraft on the data bus so they can configure the burst altitude (for both) and spin setting

The CBU-103 can and will communicate the spin setting over the 1760 interface and is cockpit selectable. The canister flies in a fixed roll orientation (how could it fly guided spinning at 2500 RPM?) until a calculated time before burst where it spins up and then dispenses. Since this spin up is software-controlled it can be any value (0-2500 in incr. 500). There is no spin setting for CBU-104/105 and the option is blanked. The CBU-105 dispenses with pressurized gas bags to dispense the BLU-108s. I don't know how the 104 dispenses.

The FZU-39 on the CBU-103/104/105 controls height of function with a fixed option wire timed release. There are wheels "A" arming and "S" spin (1-6?) on the device along with a HOF (A-K), and ECM (on/off) wheel. In any case, HOF and SPIN are not cockpit selectable except with CBU-103 because the spin is a software post-guidance-pre-dispense function.

Sometimes DCS makes non-cockpit selectable stuff to be cockpit selectable and sometimes not so keep aware.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2