Sinai Tourist Map

cfrag

The Sinai Tourist Map Project

Tourist Map V2.0 - 20231029 (Interactive Tour Guide(!) and civilian air traffic)

image.png

The Sinai Map is chock full of beautiful sights (and sites) that I enjoy to explore at leisure. I have put together a map that maps out some of the many attractions that I found and want to see, and this map is exactly that: a map of tourist attractions, things that you, too, may want to see.

CONSULT YOUR TOUR GUIDE!

image.png
There's an interactive tour guide available that you can engage over Communications-->Other. The Tour Guide will 

• list the five closest attractions to your current location (the labelled locations on the F-10 Map view)
  • more importantly, guide you to the closest attraction by constantly giving you bearing, "clock directions" and distance. 
  • if you still can't find the attraction (some are difficult to find), the tour guide can even mark the location with blue smoke for you.

image.png

Use the tour guide to make sure that you don't miss any of the great attractions that the great people over at OnReTech have put into this map.

(Remember that attractions that are listed on the map in "Quotes" are at this point in time the real-world location of important land marks that do not (yet) have a representation on this map - but may at a later date.)

For those of you who aren't afraid to curtail this mission in Mission Editor:

• You can easily place and position your favorite aircraft on the map
  • Put them close to an attractions if you don't like the pre-selected slots that I'm providing with this map.

Tour Guides won't mind, they work with any player aircraft at any location.

You can change also time of day to get some better impressions. Sun up is around 05:50, sundown around 17:50 (5:50pm)

Oh, and yes, there's civilian traffic on the Suez Canal, and in the air

Change Log (V2.0):

• Civilian air traffic
  • Tour Director (yeah)

Sinai Tourist uses DML

IMPORTANT:
If you find an interesting or beautiful detail in this map, please post its location and perhaps name/description below, and I will try to include it into the tourist map as soon as possible.

The current map has labels for the attractions that I have found. Some locations are in Quotes ("), like "Massada". This is for locations that I hope to find something there, when the talented people from @OnReTech get around to populate it with the appropriate models.

The miz's time of day it 05:50, sunrise. You may want to change that for better local 'atmosphere' for the particular spot that you are interested in.

Also, most aircraft across the map are the Gazelle (which since the release of the new flight model that coincided with Sinai's release has become a really nice model). You may want to add your own preferred aircraft close to the sight that you want to visit. 

Some examples that this map has marked:
Some strangely triangular buildings

image.png

More mirrors than you can shake a brush at:

image.png

Someone suspiciously looking like Ahsoka playing in the sand at sundown

image.png

Download: And here's the Tourist Map: (please click here) -- ED's User Files

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 14

Thanks for the miz, will check it out. The ground textures are a bit lacking up close and buildings look more of the same (way too many satellite dishes in some areas), but overall a beautiful map. 

Edited by Supmua
  • Like 1

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Update 1.01 -- 20230612

Thanks for all the Feedback!

Changes:

• Orange Buoy markers (map only, to show mission designers where to plot their course for ships navigating the Suez canal)
  • Roosevelt now successfully navigates the canal (observes buoys pointed out above)
  • New "The Locks" location in the Canal
  • Solar Farm and Wind Farm markers have received common access
  • Spelling of Alexandria corrected
  • Added some scenery shipping on the canal
  • Added a couple more starting locations

Cheers,

-ch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You are right Massada will appear.

Now I would single out 3 more monuments:
Unknown Soldier Memorial
Battle of Ismailia Memorial
The Lighthouse of Port Said

They are already included in the map and you can fly and see.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unknown_Soldier_Memorial_(Egypt)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Said_Lighthouse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Ismailia#:~:text=The Battle of Ismailia Monument,allied with Egypt against Israel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I think I have flown by this one in the video...

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

Version 1.02 -- 20230613

Latest Additions (my thanks to @OnReTech for their hints) that you now can find with less searching:

• Unknown Soldier Memorial
  • Ismailia Memorial
  • Port Said Lighthouse
  • Cairo Citadel / Alabaster Mosque

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Casablanca said:

Did you do the same for other maps ?

During a recent discussion about this great map, I suggested that "someone" should do this. I then realized that "someone" just doesn't cut it 🙂 . So, it's my first and so far only tourist map. 

• Like 6

@cfrag

thanks a lot for the miz and the updates! I believe there is a huge need for such an effort for each and every map in DCS. I also find it usefull to have a thread where people can add their findings and their spots of interest.

Just think about doing this for the other maps, plz.

So that we will usually hear people saying: "Have you tried cfrag's tourist map of the (new) map yet?" 😉

• Like 2

Great thread cfrag - thanks for the mission.

So great to have the developers @OnReTech so actively involved in user interactions - hopefully a benchmark for other maps, going forward 👏

@RWC - Hawkeye60 has created a mod for camels, but hoping for more assets to add immersion The Un-Official DCS Camel Add On

Lankypilot77 always creates nice driving videos of the maps Driving tour of DCS Sinai map

Nealius - did a great screenshot version for the Syria map Syria Landscapes (Screenshots)

Edited by ggrewe
wrong link
  • Thanks 3

Tourist Map Version 1.03 - 20230616 

Changes / Additions:

• The Suez Canal is now populated by random civilian traffic (a challenge posed and accepted here 🙂 - yeah, I'm addicted to writing code)
  • Since the Gazelle causes a CTD when changing OUT of and into an FC3 aircraft, I've removed the Eilat Hogs and replaced them with Hornets
  • I wanted to have the tourist map hosted by ED's user files, but for reasons I don't understand, the miz won't appear so I'll continue to post the updates here, @NineLine may I trouble you to ask around what I messed up so that the upload is stuck in Limbo since June 12?)

image.png

Enjoy,

-ch

• Like 4

I have posted a set of missions for Sinai on User Files section, but it was not published either.

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

17 minutes ago, reece146 said:

Also, something like this maybe could be hosted on Github? Just a thought.

Agreed. It *should* be hosted on ED's user filers, and my upload has been waiting since the weekend for ED to push the button to release it.  Maybe soon?

17 minutes ago, reece146 said:

can we put the mission version number in the file name?

Unfortunately, with DCS's server protocol, changing the miz name wreaks havoc with any script that changes or reloads missions. I'm currently hosting the tourist mission for stress testing on my dedicated test server, as people have asked me to a) stress-test for MP -- that's why stopGap is also included) and b) make it more interesting long-time (that's why the civ ship traffic is on the Suez Canal, I'm currently implementing a long-time method to steadily "re-fill" the channel with ships. From my own experience I hate it when file names change with versions, so I'm currently not inclined to put the version number into the miz name. I do understand that it's something that many people appreciate, maybe at some later time 🙂 

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, cfrag said:

Unfortunately, with DCS's server protocol, changing the miz name wreaks havoc with any script that changes or reloads missions. I'm currently hosting the tourist mission for stress testing on my dedicated test server, as people have asked me to a) stress-test for MP -- that's why stopGap is also included) and b) make it more interesting long-time (that's why the civ ship traffic is on the Suez Canal, I'm currently implementing a long-time method to steadily "re-fill" the channel with ships. From my own experience I hate it when file names change with versions, so I'm currently not inclined to put the version number into the miz name. I do understand that it's something that many people appreciate, maybe at some later time 🙂 

Right, forgot about that.

Package in a zip with a file name? Effectively double zipped but..

1 minute ago, SchneeFee said:

When chosing the gazelle from a heliport it spawns a few meters above the ground resulting in a fall and destruction of the aircraft

Can you identify which one so I can check, and perhaps tell me if that is in multiplayer? If in multiplayer, the server should be running the stopGapGUI script.

44 minutes ago, SchneeFee said:

It happend with several spawnpoints.

Confirmed. An apparent incorrect interaction between the helipads height and stopGap's spawn algorithm.

Will be fixed in the next update, scheduled for tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3