DCS: WWII Assets Pack - B-17G Livery Competition

On 7/29/2023 at 6:26 PM, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I'm sure that the Devs are well aware of the shine issue and am also sure that they will be looking at the submitted skins IN GAME when evaluating for voting. @Warlord64's posting of pictures won't affect the voting but just show what is actually possible. Individuals can then decide how they want to view that skin. However, the modded JSON makes painted skins way too shiny. It's an either / or until / if ED decides to make it PBR.

Hi  II.JG1_Vonrd

Thanks Mate You make a perfectly valid  point.

What I would say about the  "modded JSON makes painted skins way too shiny"  see For Painted Surfaces using the LAYERED Specular Template  Below

SKINNING TIPS

For Bare Metal Unpainted Surfaces  using the LAYERED Specular Template

The base colour of the Spec.dds skin  for example  needs to be almost White for the Mirror Effect ( fffbff )   and  a Medium Mauve ( c03ed0) for Medium Shine and Dull Mauve( 9c66a3) for  Brushed Effect BUT variations of Mauve  will give contrasting results so just experiment with  it.

Also For the Diffuse.dds  Skin base colour I use is a light Grey (949694)  but variations of grey will  also give contrasting results.

For Painted Surfaces using the LAYERED Specular Template

To achieve a Matt Painted Surface I Recommend a Dark Green (23cb23) 

The Default B-17G  Skin and any previously made Custom skins  appearance will also be  dictated by these factors.

Regards

Keith

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 7/29/2023 at 8:48 AM, SOLIDKREATE said:

It really sucks my trial ran out before I could complete my artwork.

buy the pack then and hop on 4YA (oh and finish the livery ofc lol) 🙂

More the merrier.  I almost was going to jump into this with both feet and start making liveries, but the lack of roughmets without any PBR implementation put me off.  Maybe if a fix comes later, but for this contest I think I'll have to sit back on this one unless something changes

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

On 7/1/2023 at 8:25 PM, SOLIDKREATE said:

I'll be making "Wee-Willie" B-17G-15-BO, LG-W, 42-31333, 322nd BS, 91st BG(H), 8th AF "The Mighty Eigth".

At first I thought I'd try and find the most complicated, prettiest livery to make. I have decided instead to make this aircraft. After reading about the brave souls who were lost aboard her on April 8th, 1945, I feel compelled to paint her. I got a little choked up when I was reading their fate. She did 127 missions and during research I found out she was in one of the most iconic photos of the time. It is a sad one to look at but there we are. The last mission, 128, was when they all perished.

"Wee Willie was the oldest B-17G still in service with the 91st Bomb Group, and the next to last B-17 lost to enemy action by the group before cessation of hostilities. The War in Europe came to an end with the unconditional surrender of Germany just 30 days later, 7 May 1945."

- Bryan Swopes

media-25721.jpeg

RIP Brothers, we have the watch.

media-379132.jpg

1st Lieutenant Robert E. Fuller, O-774609, California. Aircraft Commander/Pilot—Prisoner of War

2nd Lieutenant Woodrow A. Lien, O-778858, Montana. Co-pilot—Killed in Action

Technical Sergeant Francis J. McCarthy, 14148856, Tennessee. Navigator—Killed in Action

Staff Sergeant Richard D. Proudfit, 14166848, Mississippi. Togglier—Killed in Action

Staff Sergeant Wylie McNatt, Jr., 38365470, Texas. Flight Engineer/Top Turret Gunner—Killed in Action

Staff Sergeant William H. Cassiday, 32346219, New York. Ball Turret Gunner—Killed in Action

Staff Sergeant Ralph J. Leffelman, 19112019, Washington. Radio Operator/Top Gunner—Killed in Action

Staff Sergeant James D. Houtchens, 37483248, Nebraska. Waist Gunner—Killed in Action

Sergeant Le Moyne Miller, 33920597, Pennsylvania. Tail Gunner—Killed in Action

@SOLIDKREATE has said that he won't be entering Wee Willie and has graciously provided me with his reference material.

Just an FYI that I will be working on it. Of course, I don't own the rights and anyone else is welcome to give it a go as well.

Thank you Sir!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

@SOLIDKREATE has said that he won't be entering Wee Willie and has graciously provided me with his reference material.

Just an FYI that I will be working on it. Of course, I don't own the rights and anyone else is welcome to give it a go as well.

Thank you Sir!

No worries Sir, thank you for bringing her to life. I honestly had a lump in my throat when I was reading about her and her crew.

• Like 2

My Entry:

774th Bomb Squadron, 463rd Bomb Group B-17G Flying Fortress (serial number 42-31684) nicknamed "Joker". This aircraft was declared Missing In Action on the 7th of July 1944 by enemy aircraft, crashed in Germany. (Interestingly, 774 shot down on 7744)

Missing Air Crew Report 6864.

Flown by 2/Lt. Donald Doran

Co-pilot: Maurice Davis

Navigator: Pat Gaughan

Bombardier: Jim Slaughter

Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Jim Shephard

Radio Operator: Bill Marcks

Ball turret gunner: Jim Howard

Waist gunner: Bob Moran

Waist gunner: Dan O’Connell

Tail gunner: Manny Remplakis

Download here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332455/

Thank you ED, for the contest. 

42-31684-1200px.jpg

Desktop Screenshot 2023.07.12 - 19.27.19.94.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.08.05 - 14.19.34.06.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.08.05 - 14.07.11.69.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.08.05 - 14.20.56.02.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.08.05 - 14.21.42.33.png

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2023.08.05 - 14.11.13.06.png

Edited by Mike Busutil
  • Like 6

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332457/B-17 42-31921 / Lil’ Brat

Delivered Denver 5/1/44; Kearney 14/1/44; Grenier 26/1/44; Assigned 407BS/92BG [PY-Q] Podington 5/2/44; Missing in Action Erding 24/4/44 with Jim King, Co-pilot: Myron Snapp, Navigator: Ned Lewis, Bombardier: Martin Thomas, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Ray Hardy, Radio Operator: Urvin Lapierre, Ball turret gunner: Bill Lowery, Waist gunner: Felix Scefonas, Waist gunner: Russ Harris,Tail gunner: Pasquale Calabrese (10 Killed in Action); enemy aircraft KOd #3 and #4, headed for Dubendorf, but crashed Baltenswil, near Munich and scrapped; Missing Air Crew Report 4148. LI’L BRAT.

Source: Dave Osborne, B-17 Fortress Master Log*

Screen_230731_144925 copy.png

Screen_230731_144913 copy.png

Screen_230731_144949 copy.png

Screen_230731_145102 copy.png

abfdbdfg copy.png

Edited by scorch71
  • Like 5

This is a submission for the B-17G Livery Competition. It includes two skins, one a detailed 'Wee Willie' and one plain and without the distinguishing markings of 'Wee Willie" as specified in the competition. Speculars are used but I will change to roughmets if the developers decide to upgrade the B-17 to PBR. The detailed skin depicts Serial number 42-31333, a B-17G-15-BO, code: LG-W, nicknamed "Wee Willie". The plane completed 128 combat missions with the 322nd Bombardment Squadron of the 91st Bombardment Group. DCS: World War II Assets Pack is required. Many thanks to SOLIDKREATE for providing his research and advise and to Warlord64 for his JSON Mod and for assistance on the spinning props.

Please Note: This skin will work with the default JSON file included in the game but to see the skin at it's best, use the improved Metallic look MOD by Warlord64 available here : https://forum.dcs.world/topic/319116-specular-reflectivity-from-brushed-to-mirror-effect/#comment-5150016

On 3 February over Wilhelmshaven "Willie" took some serious flak damage just above the ball turret. The repair is depicted on the skin.

Wee Willie was part of a mission on 8 April 1945 The 322nd Bombardment Squadron was tasked to an attack against the locomotive repair facilities at the railroad marshaling yards in Stendal, Saxony-Anhalt Germany and was on it's 129th combat mission.

Wee Willie was the oldest B-17G still in service with the 91st Bomb Group, and the next to last B-17 lost to enemy action by the group before cessation of hostilities. The War in Europe came to an end with the unconditional surrender of Germany just 30 days later, 7 May 1945. It's demise was captured on a series of dramatic and heartbreaking photographs.

Never Forget...

B-17 42-31333 / Wee Willie Crew
Position    Rank    Name    Status    Note
P        1LT    Robert E. Fuller    POW    -
CP        2LT    Woodrow A. Lien        KIA    -
NAV        T/SGT    Francis J. McCarthy    KIA    -
ENG/TT        S/SGT    Wylie McNatt, Jr.    KIA    -
RO        S/SGT    Ralph J. Leffelman    KIA    -
BT        S/SGT    William H. Cassiday    KIA    -
WG        S/SGT    James D. Houtchens    KIA    -
TG        SGT    Le Moyne Miller        KIA    -
TOG        S/SGT    Richard D. Proudfit    KIA    -

Download link: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332471/

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

FYI

I have updated my B-17s (prior to Wee Willie) to new specular files that work with @Warlord64s JSON Mod (The skins will work with the default JSON file included in the game but to see the skin at it's best, use the improved Metallic look MOD by Warlord64 available here :

I also changed the undersurfaces of the American planes to the correct Gray No. 42 as opposed to the Sky Blue.

Here are the links:

Israelis: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332179/

Thunderbird: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332180/

Texas Chubby: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332350/ 

@NineLine, please note for judging purposes.

Edited by II.JG1_Vonrd
  • Like 2

'S' FK186, No. 220 Squadron RAF / Generic RAF Coastal Command Camouflage, 1943

ED User Files Download Page

Fortress1.jpg

Fortress2.jpg

1.%20220%20Sqn%20B-17%20IIA%20FK186.jpg

Fortress3.jpg

7f729KF.jpeg

A paint scheme of a Fortress in RAF Coastal Command camouflage from 1943, includes a generic skin with no squadron/aircraft marking as well as markings of an aircraft from No. 220 Squadron RAF ('S' FK186).

Includes specular textures for compatibility with @Warlord64's JSON mod, however the mod is not required to use the skins.

Eample picture with the JSON mod:

Fortress5.jpg

Also Includes a reskinned crew in a more RAF style.

Fortress4.jpg
Update: 9th of August 2023:

Added download link
Adjusted camo colours
Added specular textures

Edited by MJDixon
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Another update:

American B-17s, code letters removed from the plain skins.

Here are the links:

Wee Willie: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332471/

Thunderbird: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332180/

Texas Chubby: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3332350/ 

@NineLine, please note for judging purposes.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I've decided to do a bare metal skin. "Bit O Lace" doesn't seem to have been done and has the right amount of wear and tear for some good weathering. 

media-18287.jpeg

Nice one Rick , Looking forward to seeing  this  crate. You not wrong about the Weathering and Wear and Tear, Have Fun😃

Here is a  Colour Youtube  Video of  "Bit O Lace" in action  that might help for reference

Edited by Warlord64
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.tumblr.com/hbdcs/724698222971486208

image.png

image.png

Edited by Helles Belle
  • Like 5

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

Does seem to have been done then. Done well too. Can anyone get hold of Rick to stop him wasting hours working on it?

In the Bit O Lace film clip, at 10:24, there’s a futuristic sports car. I’d like to know how we can get these for DCS and also have a skins competition for them.

26 minutes ago, Slippa said:

Does seem to have been done then. Done well too. Can anyone get hold of Rick to stop him wasting hours working on it?

In the Bit O Lace film clip, at 10:24, there’s a futuristic sports car. I’d like to know how we can get these for DCS and also have a skins competition for them.

Hi Slippa

I have Messaged Rick to let Him know

• Like 1

There can be multiple versions of the same livery.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg

On 7/3/2023 at 8:59 PM, Aqil Huseynov said:

I renewed the file, now it only the standart version. https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3331831/

If you want roughmaterial, you can download it here. - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tBIqwWZWUjKigEWkIn0eyc3B6J2gIFY8/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Aqil Huseynov
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, II.JG1_Vonrd said:

I don't see how to download the skins from tumblr. I've made an account.

Tumblr is pictures only. The downloads should be up next week. I’m still going on the skins.

image.jpeg

On 7/3/2023 at 5:59 PM, Aqil Huseynov said:

Great to see some RAF skins for the Fortress.

A relative of mine flew with 214, so especially pleased to see the special ops scheme, above.  
AFAIK he didn’t fly any Ops in KJ177/G, but he did fly 17 missions in the Fortress (and 8 missions in Stirlings before 214 Squadron swapped to B-17s

• Like 3