Increased explorer.exe CPU usage when running DCS

Maybe it's always been there and I'm just now noticing it, but whilst having some laggy mission editor performance I noticed this in both MT and ST versions of DCS:

Any time DCS is running and in-focus, explorer.exe is up to 25% usage. It doesn't matter what I'm doing in DCS, it's always there and eating up processing power. If I alt-tab so that DCS is out of focus, or close DCS entirely, explorer.exe drops to typical 0% background usage.

Why does explorer.exe get so active while running DCS? I've never seen this behavior with other games or software.

7 hours ago, Nealius said:

Maybe it's always been there and I'm just now noticing it, but whilst having some laggy mission editor performance I noticed this in both MT and ST versions of DCS:

Any time DCS is running and in-focus, explorer.exe is up to 25% usage. It doesn't matter what I'm doing in DCS, it's always there and eating up processing power. If I alt-tab so that DCS is out of focus, or close DCS entirely, explorer.exe drops to typical 0% background usage.

Why does explorer.exe get so active while running DCS? I've never seen this behavior with other games or software.

hello. a while ago i had reported that i corrected some stuttering on my old system. it turned out that i had my screen saver set to slide show. and background switching. for whatever reason windows would go through the process to get the new image in queue. so my suggestion would be to look for something that is accessing disk resources while DCS is running. perhaps it is tacview?

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

— Mark Twain

4 hours ago, silverdevil said:

hello. a while ago i had reported that i corrected some stuttering on my old system. it turned out that i had my screen saver set to slide show. and background switching. for whatever reason windows would go through the process to get the new image in queue. so my suggestion would be to look for something that is accessing disk resources while DCS is running. perhaps it is tacview?

Tacview disabled. I killed all processes I could think of to kill. Simply sitting in the DCS main menu causes explorer.exe processor usage to increase. Checking the disk usage I get NVcontainer.exe writing to NTFS log and GEForce Experience Log on my OS drive.

Edited by Nealius

• ED Team

please attach your dcs log and dxdiag it may have some clues 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, PIMAX Crystal

4 hours ago, Nealius said:

Tacview disabled. I killed all processes I could think of to kill. Simply sitting in the DCS main menu causes explorer.exe processor usage to increase. Checking the disk usage I get NVcontainer.exe writing to NTFS log and GEForce Experience Log on my OS drive.

hello. those are from nvidia. there have been other reports i have seen calling out Geforce Experience causing stuttering. see this link to disable.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/turn-off-geforce-experience-in-game-overlay-alt-z/

• Like 1

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

— Mark Twain

14 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

please attach your dcs log and dxdiag it may have some clues 

thanks

Removed all mods, slow repair, killed all processes that I could think of, including Geforce Experience and Nvidia control panel, only running DCS and resource monitor/task manager. Disabled all Geforce Experience applications.  Sitting on DCS main menu and not doing anything else explorer.exe shows up to 26 usage until DCS window is out of focus. It returns to 0. When DCS is in focus again, back up to 26. Exit DCS, back to 0. Dxdiag and log attached.

DxDiag28JUL.txt dcs.log

• Like 1

Hi. You should use Windows Resource Monitor to find out what explorer.exe is doing while DCS is up.

1. Click the "Disk" tab, and select explorer.exe.
  2. Run DCS, then Alt+Tab back to Resource Monitor.
  3. Check the bottom list: it shows all files being accessed by explorer.exe (or any other program you select in the top list).

Have you by any chance enabled Windows automatic files compression or something else other than the ordinary?

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

The Disk Activity list is showing empty. However, I discovered that if I change the DCS resolution so that it's windowed on my monitor then explorer.exe is silent. When it runs full screen, explorer.exe usage activates again.

On all my drives I have "compress to save disk space" unchecked. "Allow to be indexed" is checked. Should I uncheck that as well?

• Like 1

OneDrive is installed but I've never ran it. I found something interesting though. This seems to be linked with resolution and/or full-screen vs. windowed.

My monitor is 1080p, but I have it upscaled to 3840x2160 to get rid of aliasing/fuzziness when getting screenshots and video footage. This is the behavior I noticed after experimenting with DCS resolutions:

- 3840x2160 full screen; no issues

- 2560x1440 full screen; no issues

- 1920x1080 windowed; no issues

- 1920x1080 full screen; explorer.exe using 20~25% CPU

• Like 1