DCS MiG-17 Interview on Enigma - Know What to Expect

LucShep

The DCS module of this iconic aircraft is definitely getting momentum.
Looking very forward to it! 😀

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

36 minutes ago, probad said:

sad to see though that it looks like the cockpit textures will be mig-19 tier with the crudely exaggerated paint chipping effect that ends up making everything look like its made of crumbling concrete instead of painted metal.

To each his own, I guess. I love the Mig-19 cockpit 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Cab said:

To each his own, I guess. I love the Mig-19 cockpit 

Same here love the MiG-19P cockpit.. if the MiG-17 cockpit is at least as good as the MiG-19 it will be hard to ignore the New module. 

The MiG-17 Interview got me testing and tweaking the MiG-19 after 2 years and I was laughing because I never went into the Special Options Menu and selected Dismount cockpit Camera System. I like the cleaner view outside.   

Cheers

• Like 3
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

10 hours ago, probad said:

sad to see though that it looks like the cockpit textures will be mig-19 tier with the crudely exaggerated paint chipping effect that ends up making everything look like its made of crumbling concrete instead of painted metal.

To each his own, but I personallly agree with you.

I absolutely abhor the MiG-19P cockpit in DCS - the 3D is average at best and the textures are awful. Which was one among other things that made me not buy it after trialling it (twice, back on its release and another just over a month ago).
I sure hope RSS doesn't follow the same ugly aesthetic choices.

As old as the MiG-15bis module is, I adore its cockpit (both 3D and textures), actually still one of my favorite DCS modules.
I'm hoping the MiG-17F cockpit in DCS will be better, but would be content if at least as good as this one.

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 3

CGTC Caucasus retexture mod  |  A-10A cockpit retexture mod  |  Shadows reduced impact mod  |  DCS 2.5.6  (the best version for performance, VR or 2D)

DCS terrain modules_July23_27pc_ns.pngDCS aircraft modules_July23_27pc_ns.png  aka Luke Marqs; call sign "Ducko" =

Spoiler

Win10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 12700K (@5.1/5.0p + 3.9e) | 64GB DDR4 @3466 CL16 (Crucial Ballistix) | RTX 3090 24GB EVGA FTW3 Ultra | 2TB NVMe (MP600 Pro XT) + 500GB SSD (WD Blue) + 3TB HDD (Toshiba P300) + 1TB HDD (WD Blue) | Corsair RMX 850W | Asus Z690 TUF+ D4 | TR PA120SE | Fractal Meshify C | UAD Volt1 + Sennheiser HD-599SE | 7x USB 3.0 Hub | 50'' 4K Philips 7608/12 UHD TV (+Head Tracking) | HP Reverb G1 Pro (VR) | TM Warthog + Logitech X56 

10 hours ago, LucShep said:

To each his own, but I personallly agree with you.

I absolutely abhor the MiG-19P cockpit in DCS - the 3D is average at best and the textures are awful. Which was one among other things that made me not buy it after trialling it (twice, back on its release and another just over a month ago).
I sure hope RSS doesn't follow the same ugly aesthetic choices.

As old as the MiG-15bis module is, I adore its cockpit (both 3D and textures), actually still one of my favorite DCS modules.
I'm hoping the MiG-17F cockpit in DCS will be better, but would be content if at least as good as this one.

This difference in perspective is interesting.

You're using it in VR?

Edited by Cab

7 hours ago, Cab said:

This difference in perspective is interesting.

You're using it in VR?

Both in 2D and more recently in VR, yes.
It's true that cockpits always look better in VR than with a 2D screen (as the 3D stereoscopic depth makes things "pop", as they became far more "real life alike").
Still, the impressions I described prevail also in VR. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, LucShep said:

Both in 2D and more recently in VR, yes.
It's true that cockpits always look better in VR than with a 2D screen (as the 3D stereoscopic depth makes things "pop", as they became far more "real life alike").
Still, the impressions I described prevail also in VR. 

Fair enough. Thanks

• Like 1

There were several official cockpit options for MiG_19. But for some reason now there is one. It would probably be better and more correct to provide several options for cockpits with a DCS module. And it would probably be better to get a default skin in two versions: a new one from the factory and an old one with weathering and oxidation.

Edited by Red_Pilot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Red_Pilot said:

There were several official cockpit options for MiG_19. But for some reason now there is one. It would probably be better and more correct to provide several options for cockpits with a DCS module. And it would probably be better to get a default skin in two versions: a new one from the factory and an old one with weathering and oxidation.

I am looking forward to comparing the quality of the MiG-17 Cockpit to the MiG-19 when it comes out... Maybe the MiG-15 will be refreshed by then.

FYI: There is an interesting Russian Grey Cockpit Mod for the MiG_19 by Frost in the user files.  I was also able to install the MOD in Saved Games. Just look at the User Files Comments for instructions - there are only 2. 

• Like 1
  • Do not own:  | F-15E | JF-17 | Fw 190 A-8 | Bf 109 |
  • Hardware:  [ - Ryzen7-5800X - 32GB - RX 6800 - X56 HOTAS Throttle -  WINWING Orion 2 F16EX Grip - TrackIR 5 - Tobii 5C - JetPad FSE - ]

On 8/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, YSIAD_RIP said:

FYI: There is an interesting Russian Grey Cockpit Mod for the MiG_19 by Frost in the user files.  I was also able to install the MOD in Saved Games. Just look at the User Files Comments for instructions - there are only 2. 

While that looks better, it still suffers from the overdone (awful) weathering that @probad described so well, and I quote "crudely exaggerated paint chipping effect that ends up making everything look like its made of crumbling concrete instead of painted metal"  - exactly how I'd put it in words too.

If the MiG-15bis is not enough, the red aircraft of FC3 (Su-25A, MiG-29, etc) can be another example of how it should be (IMO), those look like the real deal. 

Anyways, I think we're diverging from the main topic. 🙂 This is about the MiG-17F. 

Edited by LucShep
  • Like 3

Spoiler

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2023 at 3:12 AM, LucShep said:

The DCS module of this iconic aircraft is definitely getting momentum.
Looking very forward to it! 😀

Front wheel bumping on touch down - that's wrong. MiG-21 had once the same problem. That's not like the real plane behave. There are old and quite new videos about it. No MiG-17 / Lim-5 behave like these. Is center of gravity too far aft?

Edited by 303_Kermit
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2023 at 4:39 AM, 303_Kermit said:

Front wheel bumping on touch down - that's wrong. MiG-21 had once the same problem. That's not like the real plane behave. There are old and quite new videos about it. No MiG-17 / Lim-5 behave like these. Is center of gravity too far aft?

I think in the video what we are seeing is him pulling back on the stick. I believe he was going too fast and the nose coming off the ground was from him pulling back. The initial touchdown had no real bounce, but the rollout after did.