Your Love - DCS F15E or F16C ?

Avio

2 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

... what has happened to the viper ? Out of curiosity o_o

The F-16C Air to Air radar is detecting and locking up ground targets i.e. Aim-120 vs SA-2, etc.

Obvious WIP open beta bugs that need squashing.

• Like 1

i9 9900K @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

On 8/18/2023 at 11:36 PM, Avio said:

Can't help but ask a little polling, which you love more -- DCS F15E or F16C ?

I have both (and some others), but I find the eagle is such a pull much more than the F16C. Maybe I like it better that it has that 2 voluptuous MPD (7" vs smallish 5" in F16). Maybe I just prefer A2G stuff more. Maybe it's the good handling quality, especially taking off and landing (that awesome aero braking to a stop, with perfect brakes modelling compared to others).

I like the A10C too. If only that one is fast like the eagle !

But I do like the sound modelling in the F16C, that ever changing wheezing engine sound in cockpit that lets you know how much power you're using. Can't the eagle drivers hear that same changing wheezing sound in the cockpit IRL ? Quite a bit of "white-noise" in the eagle right now.

F-15e for Air to ground 

F-16 for dogfighting

They both have their uses but my real favorite is the AH-64D, wings are for losers 🙂 

Edited by pii
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pii said:

F-15e for Air to ground 

F-16 for dogfighting

They both have their uses but my real favorite is the AH-64D, wings are for losers 🙂 

Hey. Helis have wings. They are just really thin and floppy and mounted in a strange way.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Tenkom said:

Hey. Helis have wings. They are just really thin and floppy and mounted in a strange way.

I knew someone would say that 🙂 But those are "blades" not wings and don't say they are skinny wings lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pii said:

I knew someone would say that 🙂 But those are "blades" not wings and don't say they are skinny wings lol

According to NASA: "A helicopter’s rotor blades are spinning wings."

https://www.nasa.gov/learning-resources/for-kids-and-students/what-is-a-helicopter-grades-k-4/

Let's face it. Helicopters are unnatural. They float around on those skinny wings shaking and rattling while planes glide beautifully through the skies. 🙂

• Like 4

I came from the Viper to ....THIS.

For me,this is the best module so far...and I have 90% of them.....Im not sure exactly what it is....but the deep strike capability and the newly released TFR is just a killer..... the fact that its not a bad fighter helps too....But I guess I was really waiting for something like this....or an F-111.

Mudhen all the way baby

Ive worked on two types of the above helicopter and they all made me cry !!!

• Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:12 PM, Tenkom said:

According to NASA: "A helicopter’s rotor blades are spinning wings."

https://www.nasa.gov/learning-resources/for-kids-and-students/what-is-a-helicopter-grades-k-4/

Let's face it. Helicopters are unnatural. They float around on those skinny wings shaking and rattling while planes glide beautifully through the skies. 🙂

It shows you what NASA knows, heck they don't even use wings any longer.Also, anyone can make an airplane glide, kids can do it with paper planes even, but can you make a gliding paper Helo? I think not!

Edited by pii

Btw, dont got the F-15E yet, but how does it compare in terms of agility with heavier loads? In CAS or so.

The F-16 is ofc quite agile clean, but is wobbly and wing-limited when you put a bunch of bombs/fuel under the wings. I found that the F-18 is way better at doing attack runs, then pulling up and turning around for another strike, for example. Much more lift from the wings to keep it stable and make turns. 

How does the F-15E compare in that are? I imagine the planes size/weight/wings might help turning with payloads, kinda like with the F-14, but idk. 

Edited by Temetre

3 minutes ago, Temetre said:

Btw, dont got the F-15E yet, but how does it compare in terms of agility with heavier loads? In CAS or so.

The F-16 is ofc quite agile clean, but is wobbly and wing-limited when you put a bunch of bombs/fuel under the wings. I found that the F-18 is way better at doing attack runs, then pulling up and turning around for another strike, for example. Much more lift from the wings to keep it stable and make turns. 

How does the F-15E compare in that are? I imagine the planes size/weight/wings might help turning with payloads, kinda like with the F-14, but idk. 

I couldn't tell you, honestly.  I'm waiting to really play it until the JDAMs come out.  It's just sitting in my hangar until then.

Now I'm using the A-10 more.

As you say it does not seems as heavy as the f16. In fact loading 4 amraams and 4 gbu12 seems really nimble.

When you load it like a bomb truck with 8 bombs plus full fuel load then it starts to suffer, but i mean ... you weight as an airliner in that configuration xd, still able to go real fast so drag is not affecting as much as an F16.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

vor 1 Stunde schrieb falcon_120:

As you say it does not seems as heavy as the f16. In fact loading 4 amraams and 4 gbu12 seems really nimble.

When you load it like a bomb truck with 8 bombs plus full fuel load then it starts to suffer, but i mean ... you weight as an airliner in that configuration xd, still able to go real fast so drag is not affecting as much as an F16.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

Aye that sounds kinda nice 😄 

The F-16 does get quite slow with loads too.

vor 5 Stunden schrieb CybrSlydr:

I couldn't tell you, honestly.  I'm waiting to really play it until the JDAMs come out.  It's just sitting in my hangar until then.

Now I'm using the A-10 more.

Yeh i might get the F-15E, but im also waiting till its a it more complete^^

8 hours ago, Temetre said:

My take would be that it handles pretty well with a lot of bombs. One thing you might appreciate over the Viper is the  handling is much better with some bombs dropped i.e. because most the load is closer to the centre then you're not needing to trim laterally anywhere near so much (you do get a pull but not nearly as marked as when all the heavy things are all on your wings).

Agility wise when clean though the Viper is much better.  Energy bleed is much more pronounced in the SE in my experience, even if you're on low fuel loads (if you don't win a close-in fight in the first couple of passes then you're in a stalemate at best unless the other guy screws up).

vor 14 Stunden schrieb bfr:

My take would be that it handles pretty well with a lot of bombs. One thing you might appreciate over the Viper is the  handling is much better with some bombs dropped i.e. because most the load is closer to the centre then you're not needing to trim laterally anywhere near so much (you do get a pull but not nearly as marked as when all the heavy things are all on your wings).

The load also seems to be like a much bigger fraction of the plane, or at least more impactful. The comparision Im coming from is mostly F-16/18, where the Hornet is just so much better when heavily packed.

vor 14 Stunden schrieb bfr:

Agility wise when clean though the Viper is much better.  Energy bleed is much more pronounced in the SE in my experience, even if you're on low fuel loads (if you don't win a close-in fight in the first couple of passes then you're in a stalemate at best unless the other guy screws up).

Of course, the SE is apparently insanely draggy because of its pylons or so. I also wonder if its overly stable when clean and has trouble turning because of that.

But generally the most important limitation when doing a strike is when you still got full or partial bomb loads, I find. A clean F-15E is maybe not a dogfighter, but fast enough to get quickly out of trouble.

2 hours ago, Temetre said:

The load also seems to be like a much bigger fraction of the plane, or at least more impactful. The comparision Im coming from is mostly F-16/18, where the Hornet is just so much better when heavily packed.

Of course, the SE is apparently insanely draggy because of its pylons or so. I also wonder if its overly stable when clean and has trouble turning because of that.

But generally the most important limitation when doing a strike is when you still got full or partial bomb loads, I find. A clean F-15E is maybe not a dogfighter, but fast enough to get quickly out of trouble.

Yes, the conformal tanks are a bit of a killer when it comes to drag.  Obviously the base aircraft without them is pretty nimble.

And yes, lighting the burners and showing a clean set of heels is my preferred tactic for getting out of trouble in one.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb bfr:

Yes, the conformal tanks are a bit of a killer when it comes to drag.  Obviously the base aircraft without them is pretty nimble.

And yes, lighting the burners and showing a clean set of heels is my preferred tactic for getting out of trouble in one.

More specifically, if you use it that way: How does it feel when you go somewhere, do a dive bombing run, then pull up and turn around for another turn? Does it feel heavy/floaty? Maybe compared to F14A/B when you got that module and experience.

5 hours ago, Temetre said:

More specifically, if you use it that way: How does it feel when you go somewhere, do a dive bombing run, then pull up and turn around for another turn? Does it feel heavy/floaty? Maybe compared to F14A/B when you got that module and experience.

I can't really fault the handling of the SE in a strike context.  Certainly wouldn't say it has ever felt floaty and I genuinely find it a really easy and mostly carefree jet to fly (you can literally bend it if you pour on the Gs too rapidly but otherwise very forgiving and goes where you point it). 

I can't compare it to an F14 in a strike role as I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times i've dropped bombs from a Tomcat.  In more general terms it doesn't feel like its going to try to kill you if you push it too hard in a manoeuvre like a Tomcat can.

• Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb bfr:

I can't really fault the handling of the SE in a strike context.  Certainly wouldn't say it has ever felt floaty and I genuinely find it a really easy and mostly carefree jet to fly (you can literally bend it if you pour on the Gs too rapidly but otherwise very forgiving and goes where you point it). 

I can't compare it to an F14 in a strike role as I can probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of times i've dropped bombs from a Tomcat.  In more general terms it doesn't feel like its going to try to kill you if you push it too hard in a manoeuvre like a Tomcat can.

Aye, thanks! Tbh I find the Tomcat pretty well to fly as well, if the F-15E is like that or easier, then its probably quite comfortable indeed 😄