Saved snapviews (cockpit camera views) keeps resetting to default each spawn in mission

Tvrdi

13 minutes ago, Tvrdi said:

how to fix it?

not a fix, but a workaround:

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I’m seeing this too. The view angle won’t save at all. The Hornet is all I’ve tried but it keeps returning to 114 no matter what you do. 

• Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, for every single aircraft apparently. I tried editing the snapviews.lua file, deleting the backups but nothing, seems to have started with the last update.

The game does save the new FOV and angles to the snapviews.lua file when you RCtrl+0, but it doesn't seem to be able to read it once you get in an aircraft.

Funny enough, I tried moving the files to another hard disk to check if the game would recreate it, in case it was corrupted. Turns out it did not create a new file, but all my old FOV settings are now working properly. With no files at Saved Games\DCS\Config\View. I guess it's a nice workaround but in case I mess up some view angle I have no idea how to recover it then.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah 2.9 still hasn’t fixed this. 

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 2 months later...

I was able to fix this in 2.9 Stable by just redoing my snap view (cockpit zoom normal)

No luck with 2.9 OB. The setting won’t last through reloading the aircraft. 

4 minutes ago, Flappie said:

At least, I need a step by step guide to reproduce the issue, please.

Very easy.  Start up any mission and adjust the cockpit zoom level and then press RAlt-Numpad 0 to save it.  The zoom level will be saved for the rest of the mission but will be lost once you restart the mission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.

Well, I've just tried it and it works fine in OB (2.9.2.49940), even after a DCS restart, which means my custom FOV was saved in SnapViews.lua successfully.

Are you running DCS as an administrator?

• Thanks 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

11 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thank you.

Well, I've just tried it and it works fine in OB (2.9.2.49940), even after a DCS restart, which means my custom FOV was saved in SnapViews.lua successfully.

Are you running DCS as an administrator?

Ah, ok. That worked. Thanks for the help.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Great. 👍

@SharpeXB What about you?

I just discovered my problem was that I didn’t have User Snap Views checked in the options for the OB version. Now it’s working fine. Neither Stable or OB is running as Admin for me but that didn’t seem to matter. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I just discovered my problem was that I didn’t have User Snap Views checked in the options for the OB version. Now it’s working fine. Neither Stable or OB is running as Admin for me but that didn’t seem to matter. 

8 minutes ago, Flappie said:

Thanks for your feedback. 👍

There's an option to enable user snap views?  EDIT: Ah ok. I see it.  Never noticed that before.  It was checked anyways so my issue was the administrator role.

Edited by kontiuka
  • Like 1

I also notice when I reset the Zoom Normal value this also set the initial value when spawning in. That’s nice. 

As was noted in another, much older thread, the problem has everything to do with the new 'viewAngleVertical' parameter that got added at some point.  It defaults to 0 for every aircraft, and this apparently causes the game to basically ignore all the custom view settings.  It was broken before, but there was previously a workaround which apparently stopped working.

To fix this problem, I had to first recreate my default view/horizontal FOV in one plane with the ingame controls and Alt Num0, using an old screenshot as reference.  Once I got that set in the Snapview file for one aircraft, I just took the Horizontal Field of View (close, but not exact to what I had before), and the new Vertical Field of View (the game calculated it, I guess based on my screen aspect ratio and in-game zoom?), I just manually pasted that into section [13] for every single airplane.  Fortunately, I prefer the same default FOV for almost every airplane, so that method was viable.  None of the angles were changed, so I've basically restored all my custom view settings, with the FOVs within a degree of where they were before.  It would have been hell if I had literally had to load every airplane up and recreate all of my cockpit views again by eye.

I realize that this is an "open beta", but how something so fundamental to the viewing system can actually slip through and get published baffles me.  I was going to fly today, after an extended break,  but instead I spent the afternoon looking for a solution, and fooling around with text files.....😠

edit--The good news is that once you get that sorted out, everything works as it apparently should.  No "Right Control + Num0" workaround required.

Edited by Ornithopter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Ornithopter said:

As was noted in another, much older thread, the problem has everything to do with the new 'viewAngleVertical' parameter that got added at some point.  It defaults to 0 for every aircraft, and this apparently causes the game to basically ignore all the custom view settings.  It was broken before, but there was previously a workaround which apparently stopped working.

To fix this problem, I had to first recreate my default view/horizontal FOV in one plane with the ingame controls and Alt Num0, using an old screenshot as reference.  Once I got that set in the Snapview file for one aircraft, I just took the Horizontal Field of View (close, but not exact to what I had before), and the new Vertical Field of View (the game calculated it, I guess based on my screen aspect ratio and in-game zoom?), I just manually pasted that into section [13] for every single airplane.  Fortunately, I prefer the same default FOV for almost every airplane, so that method was viable.  None of the angles were changed, so I've basically restored all my custom view settings, with the FOVs within a degree of where they were before.  It would have been hell if I had literally had to load every airplane up and recreate all of my cockpit views again by eye.

I realize that this is an "open beta", but how something so fundamental to the viewing system can actually slip through and get published baffles me.  I was going to fly today, after an extended break,  but instead I spent the afternoon looking for a solution, and fooling around with text files.....😠

edit--The good news is that once you get that sorted out, everything works as it apparently should.  No "Right Control + Num0" workaround required.

Thanks for the explanation! Is there a „default“ Value for „viewAngleVertical“ that works for a 16:9 Screen, or is it more complex than this?

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Thanks for the explanation! Is there a „default“ Value for „viewAngleVertical“ that works for a 16:9 Screen, or is it more complex than this?

Thats a really good question, and it just made me rethink my method.

In the game, with that one plane, I zoomed in until I had about a 110 deg horizontal angle.  The resultant VFOV in Snapview.lua was about 62 degrees.   What is 110/62?  That is a ~16:9 ratio.  So if you are doing it the way I did it, letting the game calculate it, that seems to work out as expected.

In my case though, I have a 21:9 monitor, but it calculated 62 deg, (not ~47), so now that you mention it, my VFOV numbers must be wrong.  Its simple math, but, if I'm making a dumb error, I hope somebody corrects me.

I never actually flew today, and it makes me wonder if when I do, objects will appear squashed on my screen.  The cockpits looked just fine.  Is the new VFOV even being used?

This needs to be addressed, like soon.......Customers shouldn't have to be d*cking around with this kind of nonsense, just to get their sim back to where it was a few weeks ago.  Why in the world the view system couldn't have just remained the way it worked for the last decade, who knows.....

I think for New Year's Eve, I'll just play something else...😡

Edited by Ornithopter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ornithopter said:

Thats a really good question, and it just made me rethink my method.

In the game, with that one plane, I zoomed in until I had about a 110 deg horizontal angle.  The resultant VFOV was about 62 degrees.   What is 110/62?  That is a ~16:9 ratio.  So if you are doing it the way I did it, letting the game calculate it, that seems to work out as expected.

In my case though, I have a 21:9 ratio for the horizontal and vertical angles, but it calculated 62 deg, (not ~47), so now that you mention it, my VFOV numbers must be wrong.  Its simple math, but, if I'm making a dumb error, I hope somebody corrects me.

I never actually flew today, and it makes me wonder if when I do, objects will appear squashed on my screen.

This needs to be addressed, like soon.......Customers shouldn't have to be d*cking around with this kind of nonsense, just to get their sim back to where it was a few weeks ago.  Why in the world the view system couldn't have just remained the way it worked for the last decade, who knows.....

I think for New Year's Eve, I'll just play something else...😡

I get your frustration, but don’t let it spoil your day. I am used to edit the snapview.lua, to make the view consistent across all aircraft without messing with the ingame camera the whole time. When there is an easy way to calculate the fitting value for the new variable, it doesn’t make much more work to apply it.

Is it ideal? No, of course not, but I am thankful that there is this way to do in the first place.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

@Ornithopter I'm trying to understand the problem so we can get it fixed ASAP. Do you mean that DCS ignores old SnapViews.lua files and their settings simply because it lacks the "viewAngleVertical" setting?

Or that DCS should set a default viewAngleVertical for each aircraft in the SnapViews.lua?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.