Make Attack Radar show on Left MFD?

jonfog
Go to solution Solved by Tholozor,

When you enter AA mode the radar appears on the right MFD and the Stores on the Left MFD. Of those you interact more with the radar MFD. I have the Thrustmaster  MFD's so I operate the in  game MFD's with the physical MFD's. Since I'm right handed I'd like to keep my right hand on the stick and use my left hand to operate the radar. So is there any configuration I can make to have the radar show up on the left MFD?

• Solution

Unfortunately for many, that's not possible. The Hornet's systems were designed to have the ATTK format on the right DDI, and the AZ/EL format on the left (Sensor Control Switch invoking logic supports this).

However, many of the radar PB options are cursor-actionable, and the range scale and azimuth width settings can be cursor-bumped (much easier to do after the TDC cursor maximum speed was increased).

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

That's too bad. Immediately when I enter the RWS page I see that I may wan't to change the Bar scan, Azimuth scan and PRF setting. And that they are likely to be changed back and forth too.

Well I'll just thought some clever person had found a way to adress this.

5 hours ago, jonfog said:

That's too bad. Immediately when I enter the RWS page I see that I may wan't to change the Bar scan, Azimuth scan and PRF setting. And that they are likely to be changed back and forth too.

As many have done and documented here in the forums, you can map MFD PBs to your HOTAS. I control every single radar function this way, without ever taking my hands off the HOTAS.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

5 hours ago, jonfog said:

You can set presets using the SET button on the attack display, this might help you a bit.

If/when ED ever fixes things so you can designate an offboard track then you would rarely need to change configuration in flight.

A lot of the usability issues stem from incomplete features, as another example, TWS automatically designating is correct, but it is also very frustrating to use in DCS because we are missing the ability to designate offboard tracks.

• Like 3

1A100.png?format=1500w  

Virtual CVW-8 - The mission of Virtual Carrier Air Wing EIGHT is to provide its members with an organization committed to presenting an authentic representation of U.S. Navy Carrier Air Wing operations in training and combat environments based on the real world experience of its real fighter pilots, air intercept controllers, airbosses, and many others.

18 hours ago, jonfog said:

When you enter AA mode the radar appears on the right MFD and the Stores on the Left MFD. Of those you interact more with the radar MFD. I have the Thrustmaster  MFD's so I operate the in  game MFD's with the physical MFD's. Since I'm right handed I'd like to keep my right hand on the stick and use my left hand to operate the radar. So is there any configuration I can make to have the radar show up on the left MFD?

Just start flying/holding the stick with the left hand. It's not really that hard and will help you later as I assume you use the mouse with the right hand too. Switching mouse hand, now that's hard. 😉

vor 4 Stunden schrieb wilbur81:

As many have done and documented here in the forums, you can map MFD PBs to your HOTAS. I control every single radar function this way, without ever taking my hands off the HOTAS.

If one owns physical MFDs, the last thing one wants to do is to then map buttons on the HOTAS that were meant to be on the MFDs.

Sure…we have to make compromises but some also want as much realism as possible.

To the OP: If a real Hornet pilot can do it, so can you. Just think of it like you are taking the same challange as him/her.

As Marlan stated, you can assign a specific radar setup to each weapon via the SET function. Once set, the same range/AZ/BAR setzing will come up when you select tge respective weapon. You have to do it on every mission again though.

Hope a data cardridge comes rather sooner than later…

• Like 1

vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

image.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2023 at 10:17 PM, CBStu said:

Be glad you have an actual mfd w/ buttons. It is harder hitting those buttons w/ a mouse while using left hand for the stick.

The one plus of being left-handed. I had no choice but to adapt to a RH stick (which wasn't really a hardship) but at least my dominant hand is available for when I need to use the mouse.

Another cheap-ish option for escaping the mouse issue if you don't have dedicated physical MFDs is use something like DCS UFC on a tablet (just a shame it can't also display the MFD imagery, even if you get the virtual buttons to press).

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Tholozor said:

Unfortunately for many, that's not possible. The Hornet's systems were designed to have the ATTK format on the right DDI, and the AZ/EL format on the left (Sensor Control Switch invoking logic supports this).

However, many of the radar PB options are cursor-actionable, and the range scale and azimuth width settings can be cursor-bumped (much easier to do after the TDC cursor maximum speed was increased).

Can bar scan values be cursor-bumped like range and azimuth values?

Can bar scan values be cursor-bumped like range and azimuth values?
No, it can be cursor selected not bumped, but the SET function is your friend. Beginning of each flight I usually assign 2BAR scan at the Amraam, 4BAR or 6 BAR depending on the mission to the Sparrow and 6BAR scan to the Aim9, that way if i need to quickly change BAR settings i just select the appropiate weapon, once i have the contact in STT or TWS AUTO i switch back to the weapon i need.

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

No, it can be cursor selected not bumped, but the SET function is your friend. Beginning of each flight I usually assign 2BAR scan at the Amraam, 4BAR or 6 BAR depending on the mission to the Sparrow and 6BAR scan to the Aim9, that way if i need to quickly change BAR settings i just select the appropiate weapon, once i have the contact in STT or TWS AUTO i switch back to the weapon i need.

Right on, I'm doing something very similar as well.  It's an acceptable workaround but can sometimes get clumsy switching between RWS/TWS to get the bar setting changed.

20 hours ago, falcon_120 said:

I don't think you need to change between RWS/TWS for the bars to be changed, at least that I can recall, but i'll check, my memory is clumsy.

I played with this last night and you are correct.  My mistake!