Steam auth error 403 Discussion.

Insonia

5 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

There is a time delay if you want to rebind a steam account after it has been unbound. 

Days, months, years?

I don't mean to be a pest, but some of us have a sizeable investment in DCS modules and hardware and just don't want any weird surprises.

Edited by Beirut
  • Like 3

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

First of all: I don't want to attack anyone personally, especially not you, BigNewy!

But still I feel it is an impertinence to make this change without informing about it beforehand. I too have my modules purchased on Steam bound in my profile. Just to keep the option open to switch to standalone later. Before I bought my first module, this procedure was allowed according to the FAQ - I consider that a contract!

To make restrictions later - to change the contract unilaterally - I don't think is a fair approach.

I am not ready to "unbind" my modules. What if there are further changes to company policy later, and suddenly I can no longer bind and switch to standalone? Saying that there are "no plans" is not enough.

I hereby call on Eagle Dynamics to reverse this move and find another solution.

I absolutely understand the need to prevent customers breaking the EULA. But probably it's about preventing simultaneous logins with actually one and the same account? This should be your goal - and technically relatively easy to prevent. But such an inconvenient solution for all others who did not cheat, I feel as a personal attack and violation of our contract!

Kind regards, an extremely annoyed customer.

• Like 1

• ED Team
Just now, Rufuz64 said:

First of all: I don't want to attack anyone personally, especially not you, BigNewy!

But still I feel it is an impertinence to make this change without informing about it beforehand. I too have my modules purchased on Steam bound in my profile. Just to keep the option open to switch to standalone later. Before I bought my first module, this procedure was allowed according to the FAQ - I consider that a contract!

To make restrictions later - to change the contract unilaterally - I don't think is a fair approach.

I am not ready to "unbind" my modules. What if there are further changes to company policy later, and suddenly I can no longer bind and switch to standalone? Saying that there are "no plans" is not enough.

I absolutely understand the need to prevent customers breaking the EULA. But probably it's about preventing simultaneous logins with actually one and the same account? This should be your goal - and technically relatively easy to prevent. But such an inconvenient solution for all others who did not cheat, I feel as a personal attack and violation of our contract!

Thank you for your feedback, and apologies it was not conveyed earlier in the FAQ. But we will not be reversing this change. 

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Just a shame that we get the 2 factor ID for free trials and now this. I understand the cheaters shouldn't get a free pass, but it's too bad it's those us us with solid investments who have to deal with the limitations and increased hoop jumping.

• Thanks 1

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Just a shame that we get the 2 factor ID for free trials and now this. I understand the cheaters shouldn't get a free pass, but it's too bad it's those us us with solid investments who have to deal with the limitations and increased hoop jumping.

Yes it is a shame, and something we wish we did not have to do. But we also have to protect our business. 

thank you

• Like 3

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

vor 10 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

Yes it is a shame, and something we wish we did not have to do. But we also have to protect our business. 

thank you

Thats not true. You didnt "have" to do this, as long as ED doesnt get into financial trouble otherwise, you have the freedom of choice. You (if you wanna take responsibility for this change) did this because its the eaisest solution to make this our problem.

Im sure they wouldve been other solutions, but this one was just easy. 

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Beirut:

Its not cheaters, I imagine its people sharing a seperate steam and standalone account. And the steam account doesnt get the standalone planes, but the standalone also gets the steam planes.

Someone at ED probably decided "this is theoretically lost income" and decided to do this. This is decision is almost certainly just motivated by greed. DCS is more succesfull than ever before currently, but someone just decided thats not enough, they want more money. And if that means taking away from average customers, then so be it.

Edited by Temetre

20 minutes ago, Rufuz64 said:

Sadly it is the same for any system where you rent software from a vendor, they can indeed move the goal posts anytime in the future without notice

Best of luck getting this reversed

• Like 4

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Rufuz64:

The only and most important question is: Will we be able to transfer those modules we buy from Steam starting today to the standalone version later without any time limit?

^ Thats the real problem im concerned about.

We can do that currently, and I dont think ED has the plan to change that. But what in a year? In two years? They showed that they are willing to make changes overnight without even talking to the community about it beforehand.

Edited by Temetre

• ED Team
1 minute ago, Rufuz64 said:

The only and most important question is: Will we be able to transfer those modules we buy from Steam starting today to the standalone version later without any time limit?

If you have linked your steam to stand alone and are using stand alone you can continue as normal. Stand alone will fetch your licences from steam as usual. 

thanks

Well, it's probably more of a "leeching" than a cheating issue. It's not only ED that needs to/do take measures. (Netflix anyone...?)
You guys didn't loose anything, except for the time delay, and potentially disk space.
If you have purchases on both platforms, the obvious choice is to bind your Steam account, and play on Standalone. If you have all on Steam, play on Steam. In any case you need Standalone for the free trials, as it's always been, 2FA or not, which will probably be rolled out on everything in a couple of years anyway.
I do agree though, that both these changes could have been communicated in such a better way, with an explanation of why! Because people tend to understand the "why", when they're told why. Like why stores lock their doors at night.
I feel truly deeply sorry for our moderators that always seem to be the last ones to know...

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

vor 3 Minuten schrieb BIGNEWY:

If you have linked your steam to stand alone and are using stand alone you can continue as normal. Stand alone will fetch your licences from steam as usual. 

thanks

Sorry, my question was a different one.
If I stay on Steam and unbind my account now, can I always transfer my modules - especially the newly purchased ones - to the standalone at any later time?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Temetre said:

Its not cheaters, I imagine its people sharing a seperate steam and standalone account. And the steam account doesnt get the standalone planes, but the standalone also gets the steam planes.

Someone at ED probably decided "this is theoretically lost income" and decided to do this. This is decision is almost certainly just motivated by greed. DCS is more succesfull than ever before currently, but someone just decided thats not enough, they want more money. And if that means taking away from average customers, then so be it.

I'm not convinced of that.

For my part, I was considering binding one plane at a time to my stand alone account that I (used to) use for free trials. Just for the sake of firing up the sim and having just one plane there and focusing on it and really learning the systems. Not a big deal if I can't, but a shame anyway.

• ED Team
Just now, Rufuz64 said:

Sorry, my question was a different one.
If I stay on Steam and unbind my account now, can I always transfer my modules - especially the newly purchased ones - to the standalone at any later time?

yes if you decide to use stand alone, just bind your steam account as usual. But then you can only use stand alone, and not steam. So one or the other. 

If you unbind after you can go back to steam version, but you can not use eshop modules on steam, so remember that for future purchases. 

• Like 2

Gerade eben schrieb Beirut:

I'm not convinced of that.

Tbh I think you reading into this. Nobody was talking about cheaters.  

Gerade eben schrieb Beirut:

For my part, I was considering binding one plane at a time to my stand alone account that I (used to) use for free trials. Just for the sake of firing up the sim and having just one plane there and focusing on it and really learning the systems. Not a big deal if I can't, but a shame anyway.

The problem is if you got both planes on steam and standalone. So you have to use standalone for the full package, and steam doesnt work at all anymore because its bound.

If I understand the change correctly.

image.png

@Temetre
Apologies, but how exactly is this a problem for you? What do you lose? How in anyway is this inconvenient for you in your daily life? Or are you swapping between the platforms for that single module you have on Standalone? Please answer as I'm sincerely curious because there are obviously some benefits that I don't see.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• ED Team
2 minutes ago, Temetre said:

The problem is if you got both planes on steam and standalone

if you have modules on stand alone version you need to use stand alone version and keep steam bound. 

you have never been able to use Eshop modules on steam. 

• Like 1

vor 5 Minuten schrieb MAXsenna:

@Temetre
Apologies, but how exactly is this a problem for you? What do you lose? How in anyway is this inconvenient for you in your daily life? Or are you swapping between the platforms for that single module you have on Standalone? Please answer as I'm sincerely curious because there are obviously some benefits that I don't see.

Cheers!

Basically, before I could use standalone and have all modules.

Or I can use steam and got one or two planes less. 

Now I cannot even start Steam DCS anymore.

Its just usefull to have another launcher, and thats the system I was sold the game under. Taking this away isnt the biggest deal, but it still removing functionality.

And as said, if ED will just remove functionality from one day or the other, because they think it improves revenue... how can we know they wont do it again in the future?

Edited by Temetre

11 minutes ago, MAXsenna said:

Well, it's probably more of a "leeching" than a cheating issue. It's not only ED that needs to/do take measures. (Netflix anyone...?)
You guys didn't loose anything, except for the time delay, and potentially disk space.
If you have purchases on both platforms, the obvious choice is to bind your Steam account, and play on Standalone. If you have all on Steam, play on Steam. In any case you need Standalone for the free trials, as it's always been, 2FA or not, which will probably be rolled out on everything in a couple of years anyway.
I do agree though, that both these changes could have been communicated in such a better way, with an explanation of why! Because people tend to understand the "why", when they're told why. Like why stores lock their doors at night.
I feel truly deeply sorry for our moderators that always seem to be the last ones to know...

I'll keep my stand alone even though I won't do free trials anymore. And I'll stay on Steam simply because I'm used to it and it works and that suits my little brain.

I've got the Su-25T on stand alone, and that a pretty cool plane. 😀

Edited by Beirut

vor 1 Minute schrieb BIGNEWY:

if you have modules on stand alone version you need to use stand alone version and keep steam bound. 

you have never been able to use Eshop modules on steam. 

Yes, but Ive been able to use the steam version with all steam modules. Now I cant even start steam anymore. And I cant unbind it without losing the steam planes on the standalone. So the steam version is just dead to me.

Stopping people account sharing or whatever, thats legitimate interest of ED. I dont do that and I get it. Taking the steam version away from me is against my interest.

Edited by Temetre

• ED Team
Just now, Temetre said:

Yes, but Ive been able to use the steam version with all steam modules. Now I cant even start steam anymore. And I cant unbind it without losing the steam planes on the standalone. So the steam version is just dead to me.

I am sorry but if you have bought modules on the Eshop I dont understand why you would want to use steam. Just make the switch to stand alone and use all of your modules. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Temetre said:

Basically, now I can use standalone and have all modules.

Why though? What benefit are you getting from using two different versions?

Standalone modules can't be used in Steam anyway so you've lost nothing here really.

• Like 3

Basically, now I can use standalone and have all modules.

Its just usefull to have another launcher, and thats the system I was sold the game under. Taking this away isnt the biggest deal, but it still removing functionality.
And as said, if ED will just remove functionality from one day or the other, because they think it improves revenue... how can we know they wont do it again in the future?
In what way is it useful? Sorry, but I don't get that. Use Standalone with Skatezilla's Launcher. It rules Steam's in every aspect.

I'll keep my stand alone even though I won't do free trials anymore. And I'll stay on Steam simply because I'm used to it and it works and that suits my little brain.

I've got the Su-25T on stand alone, and that a pretty cool plane. 
You seriously won't do free trials due to 2FA? That don't make sense at all. Anyway, I know you're a die hard Steam guy, so this really doesn't affect you in any way. Except for the communicative part perhaps, if Steam stopped working for you.

• Like 1