Steam auth error 403 Discussion.

Insonia

3 hours ago, Temetre said:

Someone even assumed its about cheaters. 

That was me. Poor choice of words on my part. I meant cheating as in getting stuff for free when you should be paying for it. Not cheating in MP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

4 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

You seriously won't do free trials due to 2FA? That don't make sense at all.

Are you questioning my right to be old, crotchety, and set in my ways? I thought we were friends. 😠 

I just don't like having my phone as part of the process. I might reconsider, I might not.

4 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Anyway, I know you're a die hard Steam guy, so this really doesn't affect you in any way. Except for the communicative part perhaps, if Steam stopped working for you. emoji6.png

Definitely staying with Steam, but I liked the "open architecture" of being able to bind the accounts if I decided that was something I wanted to do. As I said, I was thinking of binding the Strike Eagle to my stand alone just for the sake of having only one plane in that version of the sim and focusing on the systems a bit more. But that's just a fun thing for me personally. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Beirut said:

Definitely staying with Steam, but I liked the "open architecture" of being able to bind the accounts if I decided that was something I wanted to do. As I said, I was thinking of binding the Strike Eagle to my stand alone just for the sake of having only one plane in that version of the sim and focusing on the systems a bit more. But that's just a fun thing for me personally. 

What keeps you from focusing on one plane even with the full set of icons on the bottom? That kinda makes no sense...

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

12 minutes ago, Shimmergloom667 said:

What keeps you from focusing on one plane even with the full set of icons on the bottom? That kinda makes no sense...

And thus my final phrase: "But that's just a fun thing for me personally." 

It doesn't have to make sense. It's mine and I paid for it. :smoke:

• Like 2

OK, I looked more closely at my DCS account.  Although I had bought all of my modules on Steam and play them on Steam, it looks like all of the licenses were transferred to my DCS account already.  I probably did this when I was running both a standalone and a steam version because I was having trouble accessing the Steam version while in Europe at the time.  But since back then you could do it either way, I probably didn't bother transferring them back to Steam, or you couldn't and it didn't matter because it still worked with Steam anyway.

But if now I cant use Steam because these have been transferred to DCS, then yes, I would have preferred getting a notcie so that I have the option to transfer the licenses back to Steam.  Now I'm feeling forced into using Standalone.  And because of that I will have to redownload Standalone, plus all the modules, which will take time and I'll probably lose my setting or logs etc.  I would maybe start out by having both versions on the SSD until I figure out which I can use.  It's now becoming concerning and inconvenient. 

So if I wanted to play DCS just via Steam, can I?  I was going to hit the unbind key but then it cautioned me that my licenses would be revoked.  Is there a way to keep playing/buying on Steam?  If I decided to just keep playing on Steam and then decided down the line to go to Standalone, I take it once I transfer licenses to DCS, I can not use the Steam version again.

v6,

boNes

Screenshot 2023-10-02 211309.png

Edited by bonesvf103

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

4 hours ago, bonesvf103 said:

So if I wanted to play DCS just via Steam, can I?

Yes. Just unbind the licences from the standalone DCS. You're not forced to use standalone. You just have to choose between the two now. Your settings, missions, profiles, etc. are still in the \saved games\dcs - always good to make a backup.

• Like 2

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

17 minutes ago, draconus said:

Yes. Just unbind the licences from the standalone DCS. You're not forced to use standalone. You just have to choose between the two now. Your settings, missions, profiles, etc. are still in the \saved games\dcs - always good to make a backup.

But when I login to my DCS Account and go to the profile and click "unbind" it says it will revoke my licenses.  I don;t want to lose my licenses.  If later I do decide to go from Steam to DCS I want to be able to.

v6,

boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot

14 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

But when I login to my DCS Account and go to the profile and click "unbind" it says it will revoke my licenses.  I don;t want to lose my licenses.  If later I do decide to go from Steam to DCS I want to be able to.

It will revoke the licenses from DCS standalone, they'll be transfered back to the Steam.

You can bind them later if you wish to use standalone version instead.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/195824-steam-transfers-now-available-via-dcs-account-profile/

To use the Steam version, you must unbind your Steam account from your DCS account.

When you click the "Unbind" button, all your Steam transferred licenses will be revoked and the binding removed.

Edited by draconus
  • Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

13 hours ago, Beirut said:

Are you questioning my right to be old, crotchety, and set in my ways?

I wouldn't dare! 😱

I thought we were friends. 😠

'Course we are! 😁🍻

I just don't like having my phone as part of the process. I might reconsider, I might not.

Apologies! I took it for granted that you read the whole 2FA debacle thread. You don't need to use your phone, and you don't need to give up your phone number in any case. 

I was thinking of binding the Strike Eagle to my stand alone just for the sake of having only one plane in that version of the sim and focusing on the systems a bit more.

It's one click to bind them all. It's all our nothing. You can't choose which modules to bind. Never was that way. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

I wouldn't dare! 😱

Damn straight you wouldn't. 🤨

'Course we are! 😁🍻

Now I feel better. Thanks.  :smoke:

Apologies! I took it for granted that you read the whole 2FA debacle thread. You don't need to use your phone, and you don't need to give up your phone number in any case. 

Damn it, now I have to go back and read about that.

It's one click to bind them all. It's all our nothing. You can't choose which modules to bind. Never was that way. 

Cheers! 

I'm sure you're right that they all bind, but I thought we could pick which modules got installed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beirut said:

I'm sure you're right that they all bind, but I thought we could pick which modules got installed.

Yes, we can in DCS standalone module manager.

• Like 1

• BIGNEWY changed the title to Steam auth error 403 Discussion.
  • BIGNEWY pinned this topic
  • ED Team

I have edited the title of the thread and pinned it so people can find it easier. 

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

6 hours ago, draconus said:

It will revoke the licenses from DCS standalone, they'll be transfered back to the Steam.

You can bind them later if you wish to use standalone version instead.

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/195824-steam-transfers-now-available-via-dcs-account-profile/

Thanks Draconus for your reassurance.  I held my breath...and hit unbind.

Started up the Steam version and everything was copacetic!  Apparently I was reading too much into the thread.

Since all my stuff was bought via Steam, it wasn't really a problem.  But now I fully understand why people who have bought some modules on Steam and some on DCS would be in a pickle.  In order to play everything they bought, they would have to have both Steam and Standalone on their machine, and they would have to remember which one ahd which modules and pick that version to play.  But if you say bought a map on one version and not the other and wanted to play that map with a certain plane on the other, you wouldn't be able to anymore unless you bound everything to Standalone or everything to Steam...not both.

So in my case, phew.  I bind everything I bought on Steam to Steam and I can use everything.  If I want to change to Standalone, I just bind everything to Standalone, download it, then play it there rather than Steam.  So with this change to protect the EULA:  try not to mix and match purchases between platforms.  Unfortunately if you have, then the only way to have everything in one place without having to have both versions on you machine and flip flop between them, is to bind everything to Standalone and uninstall the Steam version.

BTW, @Draconus, I did notice one thing:  The settings, missions. etc when in Steam, have a different folder name than Standalone.  I was going to copy my Steam ones to the Standalone ones and since the folder names were different, they didn't overwrite the Standalone ones.  So I changed the folder names of the Steam ones to the Standalone ones, but it still ignored all my bindings.  So I had to redo all the bindings from scratch.  Not a big deal now since I went back to Steam but I just wanted to point that out.

v6,

boNes

• ED Team
5 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

But now I fully understand why people who have bought some modules on Steam and some on DCS would be in a pickle.  In order to play everything they bought, they would have to have both Steam and Standalone on their machine, and they would have to remember which one ahd which modules and pick that version to play.  But if you say bought a map on one version and not the other and wanted to play that map with a certain plane on the other, you wouldn't be able to anymore unless you bound everything to Standalone or everything to Steam...not both

If you have modules on steam and from the Eshop the best option is to switch to stand alone version and use all of your modules. Link Steam to your DCS account and enjoy. 

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

14 minutes ago, bonesvf103 said:

The settings, missions. etc when in Steam, have a different folder name than Standalone.

What were the names and paths of the profiles?

You can always go to controls and import each device profile for each aircraft, one by one, by selecting the files you found in \<dcs_ profile>\config\input\<aircraft>\<device>

1 hour ago, bonesvf103 said:

In order to play everything they bought, they would have to have both Steam and Standalone on their machine

Hi Bones! This is not correct. To play modules bought from the ED shop you need to use Standalone. Modules bought from Steam let's you choose whixh. It's always been like this. Nothing new here, except you can't switch between the two installs on a wim. Now you need to unbind your Steam account on your ED account to use your Steam modules to play on the  Steam "version"/Launcher.

Also, the settings folders in Saved Games are the same. The DCS executable checks wether there's an dcs_variant.txt in the root folder, and retrieves the correct settings. 

Cheers! 

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

If you have modules on steam and from the Eshop the best option is to switch to stand alone version and use all of your modules. Link Steam to your DCS account and enjoy. 

It's sad to see this kind of anti-consummer practice. I understand people were breaking the EULA, but I think you're affecting way more your honest users, wich are the majority.

I only use the standalone client for the free trial before purchasing something, so this change won't affect me so much, since I can unbind my account and test planes on caucasus (the client has a very slow dl speed here). What worries me the most is the precedent this gives. Feels like a stab in the back with the pants down. Especially when you had other ways of implementing this solution wich wouldn't require much more effort and wouldn't affect legit users.

11 minutes ago, mgabriel93 said:

It's sad to see this kind of anti-consummer practice.

exaggerating a bit too much? 🙄  ... I'm an honest user and I don't feel affected by this in the least, as I never use both DCS instances at the same time.

• Like 5

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

4 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

exaggerating a bit too much? 🙄  ... I'm an honest user and I don't feel affected by this in the least, as I never use both DCS instances at the same time.

Dramatizing? Maybe a bit. But I feel affected, I never used both instances at the same time, but I had both installed.

I tested the AV-8, F/A-18, F-16 and Bf-109 before purchasing on the standalone free trial. The first time I tried the AV-8 it was too buggy and incomplete, and an year after I tested again and that changed my mind. Especially the warbirds, I won't have my WW2 assets anymore on the standalone

2 hours ago, draconus said:

What were the names and paths of the profiles?

You can always go to controls and import each device profile for each aircraft, one by one, by selecting the files you found in \<dcs_ profile>\config\input\<aircraft>\<device>

In the Steam version, for example, it was F-14B_RIO while in the Standalone version it was F-14B-RIO.  Along those lines (I already uninstalled standalone so I can't check for sure right now).  The ones in standalone were found where you said they would be (\saved games\dcs) while the ones in Steam were under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DCSWorld\Mods\aircraft.

If I need to do this in the future, then yes, sounds like I would have to start DCS, go in controls, and import them one by one like you said.

v6,

boNes

Edited by bonesvf103

1 hour ago, MAXsenna said:

Hi Bones! This is not correct. To play modules bought from the ED shop you need to use Standalone. Modules bought from Steam let's you choose whixh. It's always been like this. Nothing new here, except you can't switch between the two installs on a wim. Now you need to unbind your Steam account on your ED account to use your Steam modules to play on the  Steam "version"/Launcher.

Also, the settings folders in Saved Games are the same. The DCS executable checks wether there's an dcs_variant.txt in the root folder, and retrieves the correct settings. 

Cheers! 

So if I had modules in Standalone but I was playing in Steam, can I play the modules bought in Standalone?  I didn't think so.  On the other hand if I played in Standalone, and bound my Steam, then I could play both Standalone modules and Steam modules.

So what I am really trying to say is that in order to play both, you have to be on Standalone.  But if you wanted to play on Steam only for whatever reason, then you need to have both because you won't be able to play the Eshop modules on Steam and so you would need to go Standalone to play those modules.  So the better method for those who have modules on both is to just go Standalone and suck up not using the Steam version anymore.

Also, the folders in my Saved Games folder from Standalone weren't the same as my Steam ones--they had different names like I described in the above.

v6,

boNes

So if I had modules in Standalone but I was playing in Steam, can I play the modules bought in Standalone?

Now you confused me, but I'm sure you meant the opposite, when I read further down. Modules bought in the Eshop can only be played on Standalone. Modules bought on Steam can be played on both platforms.

So what I am really trying to say is that in order to play both, you have to be on Standalone.  But if you wanted to play on Steam only for whatever reason, then you need to have both because you won't be able to play the Eshop modules on Steam and so you would need to go Standalone to play those modules.  So the better method for those who have modules on both is to just go Standalone and suck up not using the Steam version anymore

Correct. If you have a mix, Standalone is the way to go to have all on one platform. It's always been like this.

Also, the folders in my Saved Games folder from Standalone weren't the same as my Steam ones--they had different names like I described in the above.

I see. Then I guess something's different on your setup. You have a screenshot? 

• ED Team
2 hours ago, mgabriel93 said:

Dramatizing? Maybe a bit. But I feel affected, I never used both instances at the same time, but I had both installed.

I tested the AV-8, F/A-18, F-16 and Bf-109 before purchasing on the standalone free trial. The first time I tried the AV-8 it was too buggy and incomplete, and an year after I tested again and that changed my mind. Especially the warbirds, I won't have my WW2 assets anymore on the standalone

you can bind your steam account to your dcs account at any time to use stand alone, there is no delay when linking the same steam account. 

you just can not use them together, and as you mentioned you never did before so no real change for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1