F-14B, always no afterburner off the catapult?

Nascar

Is it always no burner or does it go by the weight? I know it's so you don't overspeed the gear but I have been launched into the water more than once.

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

F-14B ias per natops is no burner for take off, don’t quote me but believe it’s due to potential asymmetrical thrust if there is a single engine failure leading to controllability issues (due to the high power of 110s).

The F-14A with the TF30s didn’t have that restriction

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Spurts said:

counter question, have you ever felt the need for burner on a cat shot?

counter counter question, when have you ever not felt the need for burner? 🤪😅

• Like 8

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

NATOPS does indeed point to assymetric thrust issues as the reason for no burner on cat shots AND runway takeoffs. I've actually run myself off into the grass once by mishandling my afterburner detent. 

That said, I do remember seeing occasional videos of GE Tomcats, probably Ds, going into burner for a second immediately after coming off the deck. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spurts said:

counter question, have you ever felt the need for burner on a cat shot?

Yeah, right after I hit the water.

• Like 2

Thermaltake Core P90 Tempered Glass//Thermaltake iRGB Plus 1200W//GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS MASTER LGA 1151//i9-9900K//Thermaltake CL420 Copper Radiator//Thermaltake W4 Plus//Thermaltake 140mm Radiator Fan Triple Pack//Samsung 1TB 970 EVO NVMe M2//SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 500GB //CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB 3200//GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 TI//Logitech G940//Virpil MT50 Throttle//MFG Crosswind rudder pedals//Geko GSeat//Gametrix Jetseat//Htc Vive//Pimax 5k+//Viril VFX//Razer Nari Ultimate

1 hour ago, Nealius said:

NATOPS does indeed point to assymetric thrust issues as the reason for no burner on cat shots AND runway takeoffs. I've actually run myself off into the grass once by mishandling my afterburner detent. 

That said, I do remember seeing occasional videos of GE Tomcats, probably Ds, going into burner for a second immediately after coming off the deck. 

I saw the gear comment on 10 Percent True - Tales from the Cockpit F-14 Tomcat Sunset - "Puck" Howe. I started doing the same thing with the short burner hit after the second time I crashed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oesau said:

F-14B ias per natops is no burner for take off, don’t quote me but believe it’s due to potential asymmetrical thrust if there is a single engine failure leading to controllability issues (due to the high power of 110s).

The F-14A with the TF30s didn’t have that restriction

B always in mil and there is never any need for it. If you feel the need for reheat you’re doing something wrong.
Restricted to zone III if I’m not mistaken. 
III is approximately mil thrust in B. 

Assymetric trust, high aoa and not enough air over the rudder(s) is a killer. Look at the huge one on the 73  

8 hours ago, IronMike said:

counter counter question, when have you ever not felt the need for burner? 🤪😅

In the B? Most of the time. Ironically it’s also one of the few that can sustain blower for more than a short dogfight.
The 14 and 15 changed everything. Fuel, choice and power. They’re Gods jets both of them. 

Edited by Rhrich

^this.  I've done some HEAVY take offs in the B and not hit the water.  Only time I needed burner in the B was when I did a 108% MGTOW cat-free launch off the deck (stern to bow) and even that required timing the use of the flaps and holding a precise AoA.

and to reply to @IronMike the A model is where I go when I feel the need for speed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhrich said:

there is never any need for it. If you feel the need for reheat you’re doing something wrong.

Spectate a carrier in multiplayer. Most of the time people sink when launched. 

2 hours ago, Nascar said:

Spectate a carrier in multiplayer. Most of the time people sink when launched. 

I will never join or play multiplayer. 
But if they sink when they launch they’re doing something (or more probably a lot) wrong. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rhrich said:

I will never join or play multiplayer. 
But if they sink when they launch they’re doing something (or more probably a lot) wrong. 

Weird stance. AI isn't representative of the normal flight models. They can stay flying, where you would stall. Launch a Tomcat with full fuel, tanks, 4x 54's, 2x aim-7's, and 2x aim-9's. See if you will sink off the deck on mil power. 

OP, is the carrier moving at the time of launch? And is it moving against the wind if any wind is present? Sometimes MP missions don't have any wind. 

• Like 2

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

8 hours ago, Nascar said:

Launch a Tomcat with full fuel, tanks, 4x 54's, 2x aim-7's, and 2x aim-9's. See if you will sink off the deck on mil power. 

For the record, I just did this no problem with the ship steaming at 30kts . Total weight was 70,532 lbs.

• Like 2

On 10/15/2023 at 8:56 AM, Nascar said:

Weird stance. AI isn't representative of the normal flight models. They can stay flying, where you would stall. Launch a Tomcat with full fuel, tanks, 4x 54's, 2x aim-7's, and 2x aim-9's. See if you will sink off the deck on mil power. 

That's a standard loadout for me... never had an issue with splashing off the cat, other than when I wasn't paying attn.

• Like 1

I'm not updating this anymore. It's safe to assume I have all the stuff, and the stuff for the stuff too. 🙂

On 10/15/2023 at 5:56 PM, Nascar said:

For some that’s not a choice. I think the computer controlled planes is to easy. Let them have any help from physics they get. 

I don’t. And I don’t even if I launch overweight or without headwind. 

They have made a excellent job of recreating as close as possible reality and in real life all launches was done in mil. If anyone gets a different result they are doing something wrong or there’s a bug - but I’ve never been affected. 

23 hours ago, captain_dalan said:

OP, is the carrier moving at the time of launch? And is it moving against the wind if any wind is present? Sometimes MP missions don't have any wind. 

The carrier was moving but I don't know about the wind.

For the record, I was just curious if the procedure changed with the aircraft weight and not reporting a bug. It was surprising to crash but it really isn't an issue. I try to practice the turn 20 degrees, then back to BRC, climb, and maintain 500ft for 7 miles. Most people I see on multiplayer shoot to 20k ft after launch.

On 10/15/2023 at 3:17 AM, Nascar said:

I saw the gear comment on 10 Percent True - Tales from the Cockpit F-14 Tomcat Sunset - "Puck" Howe. I started doing the same thing with the short burner hit after the second time I crashed.

how are you crashing in the b? even at max tow, just trim it reasonably and its fine. youre not leaving tthe parking brake on are you? i did the 1st day it came out because i didnt know lol

• Like 1

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr