FA18 Hornet Tacan INOP on MP Server OK in SP

Tomcat388th

With a mission running from my server or our wings our tacan is inop land sea or air. Same missions running single player works fine.  When launching from ship MP we may have  tacan for about 20 miles after that its gone.  Here is my south atlantic template for mission building no scripts triggers or anything. It fails in MP but is fine in SP.

South Atlantic TEMPLATE.miz

Edited by Tomcat388th
  • Like 2

Ryzen7 5800X3D. 64 gb ram, 6950XT 16gb,  Winwing Orion F18, MFG Crosswind Rudder, 42 inch lg tv, Quest PRO

USN  VF31 F14A  AE2 1985-1989 CV 59 NAS Oceana

IL ANG 183FW/170FS F16 Block 30 Big Mouth 1989-2006 Full time tech Retired E8

I must add to this:

This isn't just for the Hornet. This is for the 15E and the Viper as well (as far as I have tested)

Testing my older ILS training files (where I KNOW TACAN was working because I needed it) and TACAN is not working on that for any airfield or Tanker/Carrier.

Everything works fine in single-player. This is a HUGE bug, as I run the mission development for weekly ops for 30+ people and TACAN needs to work in MP. @BIGNEWY

I have attached files tested, both in MP (Fox3 and personal server) and SP where TACAN is not working in MP but was pre-2.9.

332AEWTraining_PG_Stable_v3.0.9.miz 494th Training IFR.miz

Edited by SpectreBit

TACAN:

Some squadmates and I were flying on our server and we could never pick up the TACAN until we got withing 15mi. The same holds true making a Mission Editor .msn file.

LINK 4:

When adding a TACAN CH, ICLS to te Super Carrier they populate fine on the kneeboard with a little bit of a delay. When adding a LINK 4 channel, it blows out the other two and you have to place a whole new ship down just to gte rid of the bug.

Same results here.  

VCAW-99_sig_ED_BD-3.png

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

TACAN signal from any beacon in MP is lost outside of 15 nm at any altitude and within line of sight.

I know this is already noted and posted, but repeating for attention because it does not appear on Wags' hot fix hit list.

Quite honestly, we can live without 

• Airflow effect on vegetation is not fully synchronized in MP.  🙄

But we kinda NEED functional TACAN to get back to the boat.  😉

Edited by VFA41_Hedgehog
  • Like 2

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

I tried what you described on my dedicated server. I cannot replicate this issue. I checked sea, land and air TACAN in a F-16C: they all worked and I was ~50 nm away from them.

I then tried the attached PG mission above, but got a crash for some reason. I'll try harder tomorrow.

TACAN test2-20231022-002820.trk

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

34 minutes ago, Flappie said:

I tried what you described on my dedicated server. I cannot replicate this issue. I checked sea, land and air TACAN in a F-16C: they all worked and I was ~50 nm away from them.

I then tried the attached PG mission above, but got a crash for some reason. I'll try harder tomorrow.

TACAN test2-20231022-002820.trk 217.88 kB · 1 download

I'd be happy to help you all you need. I build large ops each week and these training servers every few months... The TACAN certainly isn't working anymore in certain cases whereas it was before. 

Same problem as others on multiple missions, multiple theater maps, across 4 squadron servers operated by two different people on two different machines, plus an independent dedicated server that I set up and tested on my own rig (without SLMOD or any other server-side mods installed).          

Very basic test mission attached below was tested again tonight.   Start out in F-18 overhead Kobuleti (CH67) and fly west.   Approx 16 miles out identifier KBL disappears from HUD and HSI.  Lose Azimuth information at around 17 miles and finally DME at 18 miles.   Reverse course to fly east and Identifier, Azimuth, and DME all regained at around 15 miles.       Repeated test with F-14 with nearly identical results.

Since it works fine in SP, a track file of the MP server test mission replayed in SP appears to work just fine as well.       FWIW, to illustrate what we all are seeing, uploaded a screen grab video of test mission described above. 

OB2.9 TACAN test result screen recoding

OB29 tacan test.miz

Edited by Codguy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm seeing this, but I'm starting to wonder if it isn't a mod causing an issue.  Flew a mission tonight with my squad in the Hornet and my flight lead had no problem with TCN all night and I was limited to 20-30 nm for the whole mission.  I have very few mods and it's only MP that I'm seeing the issue.  Will play around tomorrow removing mods and see if I can narrow it down.

Edited by rob10

I've just tried on your server. I took off from CVN-71 (71X) and went away. No issue for me.

tacan.jpg

Could your issue be caused by a mod or something?

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

Yep, I noticed it also, and I am still trying to find my way home since 2.9. 

• Like 1

Natural Born Kamikaze

-------------------------

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, AMD Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, 32 GB RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX, PSU Modecom Volcano 750W, Logitech G940 HOTAS, Turtle Beach VelocityOne Rudder.