Disabling Core Parking in windows fixed my stuttering in menu and game

On 10/27/2023 at 11:36 AM, jef32 said:

In fact, disabling the cores parking has changed nothing  for me. Just the statistics are changed. Before it was an issue 4/5 starting DCS and now I can say 2/5. But now, I have the temporary solution found here:

When DCS doesn't start or starts with stutterings: I disable the core 8 and enable it again 30 seconds later.

So, the patch from today has changed nothing but disabling-enabling  the core 8 is the only solution waiting that ED fixes the issue.

I'm right there with you.  I have tried everything mentioned in the forums and nothing gives better results than simply disabling core #8 after I start DCS.  I don't even use any Openxr debug mods anymore.  

12900k, RTX4080, 64gigs, Quest3 @ 4800x2590 72FPS DCS System Settings ~85% of max

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

Then I've noticed some heavy crashes of my computer since I'd done the change (no more video, black screen and forced to reboot). So I returned to Core Parking ON and I havn't crashes anymore. But I've noticed too that I havn't any stutters problems with DCS MT in VR since I've updated my nVidia drivers to 546.01.

I've noticed too that DCS MT hates the Ultra Low latency set ON. And if you use nVidia inspector, the good line to turn Ultra Low Latency OFF is the "Ultra Low Latency-CPL" and not "Utra Low latency-Enabled". The best proof is that if you set the Ultra-Low Latency with the nVidia panel, you'll see the change in nVidia Inspector on the line "Ultra Low Latency-CPL" and not "Utra Low latency-Enabled".

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

Experimented with a forum users recommendation to unhide the Core parking options in windows power profile and changed both Pcore and Ecore to different settings.  Rung the system out under different DCS mission loads and graphics settings under VR on a Quest 3 and came back to the same conclusion.  I am getting better consistent performance and less stuttering by not unparking cores and simply removing core 8 from DCS affinity.  No other tweaks.  

12900k, RTX4080, 64gigs, Quest3 @ 4800x2590 72FPS DCS System Settings ~85% of max

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

Perhaps it's the hazard but since 2 days I've switched to nVidia 546.01 drivers, I don't need anymore to remove core 8 or an other from the affinity. For now, all is quite perfect for me for this thread.

CPU: I7-6700K 4Ghz, GC: nVidia GeForce Titan X Gigabytes, 32 Go DDR4, Motherboard: Gigabytes Z170X-Gaming 3. OS: W10-Family, 3 HD Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB + 1 Samsung SSD EVO 500 Gb. Oculus Rift CV1

• 4 months later...

Why am still having to disable core 8 in 2024?

Bought a quest 3 and was faffing with bitrates and dlss to fix stuttering and thought "hang on a minute".  Headset off, task manager, details, core affinity, uncheck core 8...

Smooth. 

Come on ED, sort it out.  

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

On 3/23/2024 at 8:01 AM, coolts said:

Why am still having to disable core 8 in 2024?

[...] Headset off, task manager, details, core affinity, uncheck core 8... 

Same for me, every time I launch DCS...

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Right, I've sorted it once and for all.  If ED cant be bothered program for modern CPU's that have been out for 3 years, then we have to do it ourselves.

My i9 has 16 cores.  8 of them proper cores and 8 of them comedy "efficient cores".  They are labelled 0-15.

0-7 are the proper "performance cores".

For some INSANE reason, DCS LOVES core 8.  It will shuffle to core 8 every time and performance tanks, hence the 'untick core 8' trick.

Create a desktop shortcut to the  DCS MT executable.

Using this site, selecting only cores 0-7 gives a HEX mask of "0x00000000000000FF"

https://bitsum.com/tools/cpu-affinity-calculator/

We only need the last bit. "FF".

Edit the shortcut and add  /affinity FF

So something like..

cmd.exe /c start "DCS" /affinity FF "c:\whereveryourexelives"

Once DCS is running you can alt-tab and check CPU affinity in task manager.  Only 0-7 are now ticked.  FIXED!!

Come on ED.  Please sort this out. Its not rocket science.

• Thanks 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

• ED Team

Hi all, 

appreciate it may seem like things happen slowly but the task is very complex. There are many CPU's and systems out there and we have to consider all. We do have some more tweaks coming in the next update that will hopefully help some of you and we will be waiting for your feedback once it is live. 

thank you

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

To be fair to ED, I don't think it's their fault that Intel developed this goofy-a$$ed "P and E core" nonsense, nor that any individual decided to buy into it.

Just saying.

Edited by kksnowbear

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

....and the hot mess that windows is. Especially regarding resource management.

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

1 minute ago, Hiob said:

....and the hot mess that windows is. Especially regarding resource management.

Absolutely.

Free professional advice: Do not rely upon any advice concerning computers from anyone who uses the terms "beast" or "rocking" to refer to computer hardware.  Just...don't.  You've been warned.

While we're at it, people should stop using the term "uplift" to convey "increase".  This is a technical endeavor, we're not in church or at the movies - and it's science, not drama.

• 2 weeks later...

What about Ryzen cores . ?

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

Even easier, just use Process Lasso to keep DCS off E-cores.

• Like 1

DCS Wishlist: | Navy F-14 | Navy F/A-18 | AH-6 | Navy A-6 | Official Navy A-4 | Carrier Ops | Dynamic Campaign | Marine AH-1 |

Streaming DCS sometimes:

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2024 at 6:15 AM, ruprecht said:

Even easier, just use Process Lasso to keep DCS off E-cores.

Are there E-cores with ryzen . 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

16 hours ago, KoN said:

Are there E-cores with ryzen . 

No, at least not in the 5000 series (nor 7000, I think but not sure about that).

• Like 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"