New Vr headset

Husk

I have a Hp reverb G2,it begin a dead pixel and i'm looking to buy a new one.I see a lot here with different helmet and setup ans i'm a little bit afraid with this purchase.

Here is my setup: I7-12700kf

64gb ddr5 4800mhz

RTX 4800 OC

SSD 2Tb.

My Hp reverb perform extrêmely well in the new dcs 2.9,but tose dead pixel is coming more and more...So need a Vr that not require those Vr steam bases.

Thank's a lot guys for your advices.

Well pico is good . 

The new quest 3 is out . 

• Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .

DCS - Headsets with eye tracking will give you DFR based on eye tracking and it is a wonderful thing. Great performance improvement and can not really even tell for most folks.

Currently I believe just Aero, Crystal, and Quest Pro.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

4 minutes ago, dburne said:

DCS - Headsets with eye tracking will give you DFR based on eye tracking and it is a wonderful thing. Great performance improvement and can not really even tell for most folks.

Currently I believe just Aero, Crystal, and Quest Pro.

It's difficult to play with Steam Vr base(need just one?) with Varjo aero?

3 hours ago, Husk said:

It's difficult to play with Steam Vr base(need just one?) with Varjo aero?

Definitely 1, recommended for ideal tracking like checking 6 two.

I set mine up a few years ago, have not touched them since.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

3 hours ago, McCloud said:

If you mean the base stations then you may aswell go for another G2.

Respectfully, I would question this. My questioning is: G2 is old tech. It has no DFR, and has known issues regarding cable being the weak point. Don't get me wrong - HP G2 is a nice headset for when it was released, but I really feel that it's beginning to show it's age. Plus I can't get past the difficulties people have when a cable goes faulty just trying to source another from HP. 

I like not requiring base stations, but would have to question the benefit vs loss if it came to compromising with another G2 just for this alone.

Edited by Dangerzone

Quest 3. Reasonable price, good specs, and it's just brand new, so you're getting support and improvements for at least a couple of years.

Doesn't require base stations.

No eye tracking though, but if you want that you're looking at $1000 or more.

Edited by diego999

16 hours ago, McCloud said:

If you mean the base stations then you may aswell go for another G2.

I was thinking about that but better to go further because evolutions of tech and software.Thank a lot for you help

I was thinking about that but better to go further because evolutions of tech and software.Thank a lot for you help

Please do let us know what you decide to go for. I currently have a G2 also and it will be interesting what people go for next, just in case mine goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi,i beginning to see how much it will cost,the varjo aero kit will be at $1942.00;the quest 3 will cost nearly $1100.00 because you need a better head strap and battery...I'm will be to have a quote on Pimax Crystal but it will be more expensive.I read on Pico 4 and Bigscreen beyond too.Surprisingly,i see a lot of test was made on Hp Reverb G2 vs these other ones and i found that Hp selling the brand new reverb G2 as yet.Price mentionned in canadian dollar.

I can tell ya that coming from a perfect performing G2 to a Varjo Aero was a huge improvement in performance from a WMR platform to the Varjo Base software. The almost edge to edge clarity in the cockpit on the Varjo Aero was the big improvement on my upgrade. They say the vertical FOV is alittle short for the Aero but I honestly don't see it, accouple degrees less not a problem, it looks totally natural to me I guess because I'm a hat wearing guy. Would love to try a Pimax one day.

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

I have a Pico 4 and it's awesome. Running it at 3120x3120 per eye wirelessly with Virtual Desktop. I had a Quest 2 previously and a Rift S before that.

In your place with my experience probably I would buy a Quest 3. It's newer and Meta really does good lenses. And it's not really breaking the bank.

There is a big bump going from Fresnel lenses to pancake.

Edited by zaelu
  • Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

The audio is great. I miss nothing coming from the valve index and G2. I think they are more or less equal. 

If something about the pimax to diss, it's the weight, the huge brick on the face and some hickup in the software. 

Other than that I'm amazed every day I put the crystal on. Sometimes I just sit there and marvel the view. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, zaelu said:

I have a Pico 4 and it's awesome. Running it at 3120x3120 per eye wirelessly with Virtual Desktop. I had a Quest 2 previously and a Rift S before that.

In your place with my experience probably I would buy a Quest 3. It's newer and Meta really does good lenses. And it's not really breaking the bank.

There is a big bump going from Fresnel lenses to pancake.

I would agree with zaelu. I have a pico 4 and it is very good but if I was getting one now I would probably get the quest 3. I don’t plan on upgrading yet though as I really want eye tracking for my next headset. 

Edited by Qcumber
  • Like 1

5800x3drtx407064Gb 3200: 1Tb NVME: Pico 4: Rift S: Quest Pro

The Pico 4 was not an option for me because of my 3080. The 3080 and the other last gen cards are not good at streaming the data to the pico I have heard.

I am not sure how this applys to the quest 3.

I myself went with the Aero also because I wanted a dedicated PC VR headset.

Is there any rich DCS user that owns both an Aero and a Crystal and is willing to share his experiences? 😉

Edited by Motomouse

VIC-20@1.108 MHz, onboard GPU, 5KB RAM, μυωπία goggles, Competition Pro HOTAS

4 hours ago, Motomouse said:

The Pico 4 was not an option for me because of my 3080. The 3080 and the other last gen cards are not good at streaming the data to the pico I have heard.

Lots of wrong information you can get on "internetz" these days.  I have used Pico 4 firstly with my old GTX1070... Then I "upgraded" to my wife's 3060 :D. It was a tad better FPS and now I have a 4080 (with new system) and is significantly improved. I have an "old" wifi 5 (5GHz) router from my internet provider (Free... the brand is called Free, France) and works very well 99.99% times but sometimes I guess the 5GHz channel gets some interference and I can immediately sense it and if I look into VD performance stats I can see the networking latency spiking from under 10ms to 80-100ms and then I know I just need to do a quick restart of the router so it switches the channel. I also don't have any other home device on 5GHz (😈 )... everything is wired (PCs, printers, TV, TV Box) or on 2.4GHz (Phones, tablets).

The most important thing I think is to know that if the netwoking is not keeping up the performance will be bad and it will give you the impression is the PC not being able to keep the FPS high enough or "strem fast enough" when in fact the bottleneck in the wireless connection between router and headset can mess up everything.

To give you an example I can record with StreamLabs program on PC the image that the headset (pico4) is streaming BACK! to the PC after it has received it from the same PC in the first place. Meaning the game renders the image that is transferred wired to the router then wirelessly to the headset and then after displaying the image the headset streams back wirelessly the image from one eye (or both) at 1080p like a video server on the network and the PC picks it up on a webpage which is captured by the Streamlabs and recorded on the hard drive... live... while playing. Obviously it's not an optimal solution but the performance is not that bad as one might expect all things considered.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Thank's a lot guys for your advice!I just puchase the Varjo Aero for the simple reason that i want something like to my regrets love Reverb G2.Connected to my graphic card and to use natively OpenXR.Yes,i forced to buy a steamVr base but hoping that will not a mess to use it.I lke the way you are reveal yours advice with no argument for others.This is a true advice/opinion and i express all my gratitudes for that.Thank's guys!

• Like 3

Pico Link 3 with 4k cable . Perfect for flight sims and racing games sat down in your chair . Display port is the way to go . I love my pico . Would never spend over £500 for a headset . Because then your need the hardware to run it . 

I paid £329.00 for my link a year ago . Had a quest 2 and this pico kicks it's ass with cable . 

Edited by KoN
  • Like 1

Gigabyte - X570 UD ~ Ryzen - 5600X @ 4.7 - Pulse - RX-6800 -  XPG 32:GB @ 3200 - VKB - Gunfighter 4 - STECs - Throttle - Crosswinds Rudders - Trackir 5 .

I'm a dot . Pico Nero 3 link VR . @ 4k

Win 11 Pro 64Bit .