Intel hybrid CPU Getting stutter? Please try this in multithreading DCS

Tried the mt.lua No luck

i9 12900K / Asus Z690 / 64GB / Nvidia RTX 3090Ti

All BIOS settings to auto

Checked with many os configurations, including fresh installs (I have removable SSDs), with or without mods

The only slight improvement I got was from setting in the BIOS "Asus multicore enhancement" from "Auto - let BIOS decide" to "Enforce all limits" but even with that option set I experienced OS stutter and locking after a while, no apparent performance improvement over the single thread, huge heat production (the liquid cooling radiator heated up the room in two minutes). CPU usage gets close to 30% and drops to 6% when the stutter starts. Have to hard reset or be patient and wait some 5/10 minutes for the machine to become responsive again and kill DCS from task manager.

I'm attaching DCS.log of the last run with mt.lua and "Asus multicore enhancement" disabled

dcs.log

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• ED Team

thank you for the reply and feedback 

edit: it maybe worth trying without the unofficial mods and running a repair, just to rule out any strangeness.  

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

On 11/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, Buzz313th said:

Just tried the Mt.LUA file and it caused an increase in stuttering.

Details below

12900k, RTX4080, 64gigs, Quest3 @ 4800x2600 in link app

No Mods

MT 2.9

No OpenXR apps or hacks

As VR vanilla as can get

My normal method for launching DCS 2.9 MT, which gives me the best experience is to simply launch DCS and as soon as the app loads and before I put on my HMD, I simply open task manager and disable core #8 for DCS in Affinity mask.  I simply leave it disabled for the rest of the session.

When I tried the MT.Lua file, I placed the file in to SavedGames/DCS/Config and launched DCS as I normally do, but without disabling core #8 to see if the MT.Lua file fixes the need to disable that core.   Upon putting my HMD on the menus looked normal.  I loaded a simple mission in Nevada with an F16C airstart over Creech looking towards the Vegas area.  When the mission loaded and I was sitting in the pit, I got a big long pause with a rotating hourglass.  This is typically what I see if I do not disable core#8.  So I alt tabbed out of DCS, opened task manager and disabled core#8.  Went back in to DCS and did some simple aileron rolls while looking out the side of the canopy, which method I use to show the highest degree of stuttering as the Nevada landscape scrolls around my view.  I noticed a definitive increase in stuttering both consistently and intensively.   I closed DCS, removed the MT.Lua file from savedgames/dcs/config and restarted DCS, disabled core#8 and loaded the same mission to confirm that performance should be better.   Upon mission load, I noticed that I had no Hotas control on my throttle.  Took HMD off and noticed I had no status lights on my throttle.  Restarted throttle by Powe cycling my throttle via unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable.  Went back in game and confirmed that performance and stuttering was similar to baseline before trying MT.Lua.

I have never lost my Hotas before, especially without restarting my computer.  I assume this was simply a coincidence and not related to the use of MT.Lua.   

If ED could use more info from me such as logs, or track files then just reach out, I am here to help if I can.

Cheers

how do disable a core in w11 using taks mangager?

12 minutes ago, beacon said:

Go to "details" and right click on the application. There is an option to set the core affiliation in the menu.

• Thanks 1

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

31 minutes ago, beacon said:

• Start DCS
  • Open Task Manager
  • Left Column Click Details
  • Right Click On DCS 
  • Left Click "Set Affinity"
  • Scroll Down and Select cores to disable or enable
  • Close task manager
  • Thanks 1
  • Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)
  • DCS World: MT 2.9 with CPU Core #8 Disabled
  • Module Proficiency: F-15C, A-10CII, F-16C,
  • Modules Owned NOT Proficient: The rest of FC3, F-18C
  • Terrain Owned: NTTR, DCS World Included Maps

25 minutes ago, Buzz313th said:
  • Start DCS
  • Open Task Manager
  • Left Column Click Details
  • Right Click On DCS 
  • Left Click "Set Affinity"
  • Scroll Down and Select cores to disable or enable
  • Close task manager

ah ok thx, so i need to disable core 8? and will that stop the hour glass from coming when i am in trianing mission ?

5 minutes ago, beacon said:

ah ok thx, so i need to disable core 8? and will that stop the hour glass from coming when i am in trianing mission ?

Core 8 is what works for me..  try it and see for yourself.  I think others found a different core that works for them.

• Rig Specs: Win11, 12900k@3.9-5.2, RTX4080, 64G DDR5@4800, Quest3@4800x2600 (Oculus Link Cable On Link, no VR tweaks)

Those of you (new-gen, hybrid Intel) suffering from this, a question. Are you having better results with MT or non-MT? Since 2.9, non-MT has run better for me (about on par with 2.8 non-MT). The affinity trick has felt like placebo—maybe worked..a little(?) but still not as good as the non-MT executable. I am really struggling to enjoy the DCS experience at the moment. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Smokin Hole said:

Those of you (new-gen, hybrid Intel) suffering from this, a question. Are you having better results with MT or non-MT? Since 2.9, non-MT has run better for me (about on par with 2.8 non-MT). The affinity trick has felt like placebo—maybe worked..a little(?) but still not as good as the non-MT executable. I am really struggling to enjoy the DCS experience at the moment. 

Not Placebo for me..   

I don't use ST ever.  In MT, if I don't disable core 8 I will get very long pauses (Up to 15-30 sec) with rotating hourglass.  After disabling core 8 I have an almost micro stutter free game experience. My game could be completely locked with hourglass and as soon as I disable the core in Task manager, the sim will unlock.

• Like 2

• ED Team

I'm using a i9-10900K which is 10th gen, Ive always unparked my cores even before MT in DCS and fingers crossed not had any issues. 

• Like 3

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My experience with the 13900k is if I use single threaded instance I still have some micro stutters in VR but they are not as bad since I'm also using quad views with foveated rendering.

As for MT, eventually it will freeze at which to unfreeze it I have to unselect cpu 8 from affinity.

With cores unparked it still seems dcs only selectively hammers 2 cores to 100% and if I disable those it puts the load on the next one available.

Similar experience on windows 10 and then a clean install on windows 11.
  • Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

35 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

I'm using a i9-10900K which is 10th gen, Ive always unparked my cores even before MT in DCS and fingers crossed not had any issues. 

I have tried unparking cores via windows power settings prior to DCS start and NOT disabling core 8.  This results in no "Hourglass pauses", but I  get slightly more micro stutters.  So I went back to simply disabling core 8 and leaving the cores parked as per default Win11 power settings.  I have two win11 power settings.  One is balanced and  the other is High Performance.  I have tried both settings and I see no difference.  But, I believe Win 11 is automatically switching to High Performance when I start DCS.  I notice this because I will select Balanced for general computer use and forget to switch to high performance when starting DCS.  After I stop DCS, I will often have my power settings switched to High Performance..

Because of all of the above, I don't even bother with setting power settings for DCS anymore and all I do is shut down core 8 after starting DCS.

I have tried all the other published tweaks, tips and recommendations and this method for my system is just the best performing and simplest method.

Below are the power settings used for my two power profiles on win11.  I used the reg edit modification posted somewhere on these forums to reveal and give me access to change the core parking settings in the power profile UI.  These core power settings are Win11 default for the two power profiles.

Screenshot 2023-12-08 090158.png

Screenshot 2023-12-08 090306.png

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use a 13900K with Windows 11. I don’t have any stuttering with either 2.8ST or 2.9MT Stable or OB. I haven’t engaged in any of these core fixes or such.

Edited by SharpeXB
  • Like 1

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

3 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

I use a 13900K with Windows 11. I don’t have any stuttering with either 2.8ST or 2.9MT Stable or OB. I haven’t engaged in any of these core fixes or such.

Are you 2d or VR?  I ask, because I can run 2D DCS at 1440 at full graphics without any changes, so no core 8 disabling and there is no micro stutters or pauses..  

For me, introducing VR into the mix, increases system load enough that I have to disable core 8.

Edited by Buzz313th
  • Like 1

Just now, Buzz313th said:

Are you 2d or VR?

2D 2160x3840

Edited by SharpeXB

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

5 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

2D 2160x3840

There ya go.... I think the increased load of VR kinda puts the systems on the edge and then these issues pop up.

I can run 2D DCS at 1440 at full graphics without any changes, so no core 8 disabling and there is no micro stutters or pauses..  

For me, introducing VR into the mix, increases system load enough that I have to disable core 8.

Edited by Buzz313th

Look for a single core that is fully utilised, and disable that one, if all are in use then you have a different problem.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I have stored this mt.lua file in the \Saved Games\DCS\Config folder and I believe I'm getting better performance. I also notice, when looking around in Track IR, it also weirdly seems smoother?

Edited by DAZnBLAST

My Hangar:

F16C | FA18C | AH64D | F14A/B | M2000C | AV8B | A10C/ii | KA50/iii | UH1H | Gazelle | FC3 | CA | Supercarrier

My Spec:

Obsidian750D Airflow | Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K | 32GB DDR4 Vengeance @3600 | RTX3080 12GB OC | ZXR PCIe | WD Black 2TB SSD | Log X56 | Log G502 | TrackIR | 1 badass mutha

10 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Look for a single core that is fully utilised, and disable that one, if all are in use then you have a different problem.

haha i did it with resource monitor and he switches from processor 8 to the parked processor 9 then the 8 becomes parked and i think this is what causes the hour glas to become viewable ( sporadic freezes liek loading times) so what do i do?

I've tried (I think) all the solutions here with mixed success and lots of wishful placebo.  The ONE consistent improvement has been to check or uncheck Fullscreen (whichever changes) and force the sim to restart.  This works every time and balances out the cores nicely.  To whomever above came up with that solution, THANK YOU!

MT bin, Quest 3, 3080Ti, 13th gen Intel

Edited by Smokin Hole
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Smokin Hole said:

I've tried (I think) all the solutions here with mixed success and lots of wishful placebo.  The ONE consistent improvement has been to check or uncheck Fullscreen (whichever changes) and force the sim to restart.  This works every time and balances out the cores nicely.  To whomever above came up with that solution, THANK YOU!

Same here.

Edited by Hammer3246

13900KF NVD4090 32RAM G2

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Well for a start turn off core parking...

how do i do that in w11

2 hours ago, Hammer3246 said:

Same here.

2 hours ago, Smokin Hole said:

but then you run into window mode if you uncheck fullscreen