F-5 Update Due to Addition of F-4?

SouthDakotaJones
Go to solution Solved by _BringTheReign_,

• Solution
21 hours ago, SouthDakotaJones said:

Do any of you know if the F-5 will receive an update

I asked this on November 27th during a livestream:

Question
"With all the love for COLD WAR aircraft, what can Wags tell us about the F-5E Tiger II update?"

Answer
"I'm not sure what specific update he is talking about. Yeah, the art is definitely showing its age a bit, and there's certainly some bugs to fix. In particular the radar and the RWR still have some issues. But in terms of major updates, not exactly sure what he's referring to."

Question 
"Follow up for Wags on the F-5E - in January he said "big changes are already underway, but it's a bit too early to discuss. We look forward to sharing our F-5E plans later in the year. So?"

Answer
"Ah okay so I know what he's talking about now. So, there is some... 'stuff' we're working on the F-5, we just can't really talk about it right now in any kind of detail."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

At minimum we are expecting improvements to the art and continued bugfixes for the radar and RWR. Happy to see the RWR issues being acknowledged at a high level. 

As for the additional "stuff" he mentioned, and what "big changes already underway" means, we genuinely have no idea. 

If I can speculate, the recent AI model debacle in which ED advertised high detail AI models and released low detail AI models makes me think that we will be seeing something like a "High Detail Asset Pack" or high detail assets as their own module, etc, in which old modules like the F-5E will also see art improvements. 

I have no opinion either way - I'm just hoping for more information on the improvements. 

• Like 8

https://youtube.com/@thesimnet                                    questions@thesimnet.com 

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, RustBelt said:

No, “at minimum” expect nothing. As has been proven repeatably by past performance.

If the state of the module isn't enough of a motivation then a mere presence of another module won't be either. Sorry for party pooping again.

• Like 2

I mean, at some point “End Of Life” needs to be talked about. It’s not realistic to keep pretending every module will be maintained and supported forever. Modules will sundown at some point. Or rather, it needs to be acknowledged this is already happening intentionally or not.

Edited by RustBelt
  • Like 3

This module seems pretty popular even today, and at least fixing the bugs would extend its life for those who own it, would sell some more as a solid product and a simple and capable platform, and would give ED more appreciation and faith in their upcoming projects. IMHO I think it would be worth it.

• Like 1

A 1996 Supra Twin Turbo is still “Popular” today. Doesn’t mean Toyota is still spending resources updating them for 2024. At some point limited resources can’t go everywhere. 
You can tinker all you want with a Supra without any support from Toyota. Kinda hard with DCS modules. Find a better analogy!

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, RustBelt said:

I mean, at some point “End Of Life” needs to be talked about. It’s not realistic to keep pretending every module will be maintained and supported forever. Modules will sundown at some point. Or rather, it needs to be acknowledged this is already happening intentionally or not.

It's fair to talk of modules going into "maintenance only" mode, but I would expect outstanding faults/bugs/inaccuracies to be fixed (the F5 has a few) and promised features to be delivered / complete (speaking generally here for all modules).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄

Analogies between software and physical goods are always bad ones.

I have my own concerns about how ED will resolve the exponential increase of resources needed as the number of modules pile up, though.

On the one hand I can agree that modules may have a finite life cycle, but on the other hand, to keep upgrading old modules is to some extent like releasing modules that cost a tiny fraction to produce that brand new ones and keep content abundant and varied.

Edited by average_pilot
Extra info
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, average_pilot said:

Analogies between software and physical goods are always bad ones.

I have my own concerns about how ED will resolve the exponential increase of resources needed as the number of modules pile up, though.

On the one hand I can agree that modules may have a finite life cycle, but on the other hand, to keep upgrading old modules is to some extent like releasing modules that cost a tiny fraction to produce that brand new ones and keep content abundant and varied.

Call me a broken record but going into not 1 but 3 inherent resource sinkholes (18, 16, !64!) concurrently practically guaranteed problems for other modules in the long run.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Duct tape? emoji6.png Oh, well. In this day and age we can even print new ones at home. emoji4.png

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

Naw, no handyman's secret weapon required. You can get a full blown aftermarket wing assembly for your Supra guaranteed to withstand 10 times the published G limits. 

https://www.a90shop.com/product-page/apr-performance-gtc-300-67-adjustable-wing

image.png

• Like 1

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

That's F4.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

• 1 month later...
On 12/27/2023 at 7:13 PM, RustBelt said:

This is something I agree with, as much as I don't like it as it would affect 3 modules I use the most. 

I think it's a real possibility that we won't see major updates to this module (sadly), but OTOH the older Ka-50 and A-10C got their updates. Something similar might be possible. Refresh the old F-5, sell a new version with, say, Maverick support and/or INS to recoup some of the costs. I don't expect to see that, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

• Like 1