DCS still residing in memory despite closing simulator

Hammer1-1

Im encountering a strange bug these past few weeks since 2.9 was released. For some reason its residing in memory and after exiting DCS, I have to reboot in order to make any changes. DCS is not showing in taskmanager or Process Lasso, yet you can see the screenshot and see my issue. This has been a continuous issue since the release of 2.9. It wont let me make any adjustments with DCS Updater Utility, WinWing or even SRS. Need help solving this issue.

Screenshot 2023-12-12 204302.png

dcs.log

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

10 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Im encountering a strange bug these past few weeks since 2.9 was released. For some reason its residing in memory and after exiting DCS, I have to reboot in order to make any changes. DCS is not showing in taskmanager or Process Lasso, yet you can see the screenshot and see my issue. This has been a continuous issue since the release of 2.9. It wont let me make any adjustments with DCS Updater Utility, WinWing or even SRS. Need help solving this issue.

hello. post your dcs.log found in \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs there will be some clues hopefully.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

nothing?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I have seen this issue myself.

But only when using mods.

Upon exit, the PC hangs with a black screen,

Three finger salute performed,

Select task manager,

Stop DCS option returns the PC to the desk top.

No need to re boot the PC

Or, you can Log out, and back into Windows.

This cleans the memory and starts windows fresh.

Re name the saved games folder,  run DCS

(it will rebuild the folder)

Then add your files back one at a time.

Hope this is helpful.

"Yeah, and though I work in the valley of Death, I will fear no Evil. For where there is one, there is always three. I preparest my aircraft to receive the Iron that will be delivered in the presence of my enemies. Thy ALCM and JDAM they comfort me. Power was given unto the aircrew to make peace upon the world by way of the sword. And when the call went out, Behold the "Sword of Stealth". And his name was Death. And Hell followed him. For the day of wrath has come and no mercy shall be given."

9 hours ago, Hawkeye60 said:

I have seen this issue myself.

But only when using mods.

Upon exit, the PC hangs with a black screen,

Three finger salute performed,

Select task manager,

Stop DCS option returns the PC to the desk top.

No need to re boot the PC

Or, you can Log out, and back into Windows.

This cleans the memory and starts windows fresh.

Re name the saved games folder,  run DCS

(it will rebuild the folder)

Then add your files back one at a time.

Hope this is helpful.

Ill give it a shot, but theres nothing in taskmanager to close after exit and thats the odd thing. I dont even have an issue with starting DCS after closing it.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

Ok, update: after creating a new saved games folder that is devoid of any life, still residing in memory. Rebooted and tried again. Still residing in memory. Id like to know if there is a setting out there for Windows that would allow me to see exactly what is loaded into memory to get to the bottom of this. Halfway tempted to find some software out there to defrag the ram...

dcs.log

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

Please ensure:

• You don't run the sim as Administrator.
  • You don't run the sim in any compatibility mode.
  • DCS main folder is added as an exception to your antivirus.

Edited by Flappie

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

2 hours ago, Flappie said:

Please ensure:

• You don't run the sim as Administrator.
  • You don't run the sim in any compatibility mode.
  • DCS main folder is added as an exception to your antivirus.

everything is confirmed. I dont use an a/v software and its excluded in Windows Defender. I use Skatezilla's DCS Utility to launch 99% of the time.

My wallpaper and skins

Its -GONE-

Screenshot above shows exactly 2 pieces of software I was trying to update 5 minutes after I closed DCS. DCS is not in the task manager, yet whatever file is being edited by simapp, DCS Updater, or SRS is still in use. Something is using the config lua and keeping it open after DCS is closed.

The order seems to be like this:

Open DCS Updater Utility to intend to start DCS.

Open SimApp Pro to adjust resolution for the monitor to position the MFDs via the lua, click apply and save.

Close SimApp Pro, start DCS via Updater.

Close DCS.

Restart SimApp Pro to verify I can edit; states DCS is still running.

Check DCS Updater Utility to verify I can edit in the preset editor (I made a report in Skates thread the other day, was told that if things are blank its because DCS is still running).

Verify DCS is closed via Task Manager, no instances of DCS running.

Something is keeping the config lua and/or more DCS files open at all times, preventing me from making edits.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

9 minutes ago, Insonia said:

I understand you have difficulty shutting down DCS.

It could be your OS issue or DCS's mods, at least i can see you have terrain texture pack and there could be more you installed.

it'd be better if dcs can shut down by itself in this way. I hope you can resolve this.

But the picture you showed is not a "details" view. Processes that have no front-end will not be displayed in the "process view" "APPs" categoryyou need go to "details"

And i looked into the .Net disassembly from Skatezilla's update tool. 

AhLINaD.png

It only detects if "dcs.exe" is still running via Process.GetProcessesByName Method

Which means Windows knows "dcs.exe" is still running. it is not gone

Did you try the kill commands?

TXzDZwv.png

Or you need go to "details" and find the dcs.exe click end task and shut it down for good.

And BTW Flappie mentioned the sysinternals also has a process-explorer which is a juiced-up version of Task Manager that could display all the processes as well.

Reveal hidden contents

Only ring0 and rookit that hooks GetProcesses APIs can purposefully hide processes from taskmgrs. But since Process.GetProcessesByName C# function and many other APP can detect dcs.exe. then it's not the case. it could be just a fluke that you dont know or missed the small dcs.exe entry among many other process.

I downloaded it, I dont really have the time to deal with it tonight so Ill hit it up this weekend. Ill report back if I find anything. As for details theres nothing really there to explain it any further either  as its not much different than processes. Nothing DCS related in that panel either.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

On 12/15/2023 at 12:49 AM, Flappie said:

You should try this tool, Handle, by Microsoft. It lets you know which app is using your files.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/handle

I dont understand how this app works. what am I looking for?

On 12/15/2023 at 1:30 AM, Insonia said:

I understand you have difficulty shutting down DCS.

It could be your OS issue or DCS's mods, at least i can see you have terrain texture pack and there could be more you installed.

it'd be better if dcs can shut down by itself in this way. I hope you can resolve this.

But the picture you showed is not a "details" view. Processes that have no front-end will not be displayed in the "process view" "APPs" categoryyou need go to "details"

And i looked into the .Net disassembly from Skatezilla's update tool. 

AhLINaD.png

It only detects if "dcs.exe" is still running via Process.GetProcessesByName Method

Which means Windows knows "dcs.exe" is still running. it is not gone

Did you try the kill commands?

TXzDZwv.png

Or you need go to "details" and find the dcs.exe click end task and shut it down for good.

And BTW Flappie mentioned the sysinternals also has a process-explorer which is a juiced-up version of Task Manager that could display all the processes as well. 

Reveal hidden contents

Only ring0 and rookit that hooks GetProcesses APIs can purposefully hide processes from taskmgrs. But since Process.GetProcessesByName C# function and many other APP can detect dcs.exe. then it's not the case. it could be just a fluke that you dont know or missed the small dcs.exe entry among many other process.

somethings still in memory...

Screenshot 2023-12-16 224423.png

My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

I dont understand how this app works. what am I looking for?

somethings still in memory...

Screenshot 2023-12-16 224423.png

The command return "success". dcs.exe is finally killed. you just simply miss or didn't know how to find the the dcs.exe in the taksmgr.  that's entirely my point.

Keep use that command see if it returns "ERROR:the process "dcs.exe" not found". Then restart your SRS/wingwin etc.. software installation.

Edited by Insonia

NOT EXACTLY. Just found this residing in processes, and I cant kill it. Sure as hell looks like its running even though it says its suspended. 44k in memory, and Im willing to bet thats my issue.

Screenshot 2023-12-17 002407.png

Screenshot 2023-12-17 003247.png

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

They are in the taskmgr after all, Now you finally find it. 

And now what you find is unkillable, and "access is denied" from administrator privileges. Yes, it is the issue. Mircosoft system level crap. more serious than DCS itself unable to terminate, which is kinda common, but not this..

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12528963/taskkill-f-doesnt-kill-a-process

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/windows-blog-archive/unkillable-processes/ba-p/723389

Only ring0 can protect the process from administrator privileges. it could be antiviurs lockup or window itself go hairwired. I/O. IRQ etc.. DCS by itself cant reach such level.

and you already confirmed dcs run at lower privilege:https://forum.dcs.world/topic/339770-dcs-still-residing-in-memory-despite-closing-simulator/?do=findComment&comment=5347513

You can still try use procexp64.exe and handle64.exe find who still got their hands on the process. But it may likely end up with other "unkillable" system process.

cwtugq9.png

Just reinstalling Windows is more straight-forward. you can try some of those general suggestion from internet about unkillable process. but generally speaking troubleshooting modern Windows without extent Windows internal knowledge is soul sucking and time consuming than re-installing windows and all the softwares.

good luck man..

Edited by Insonia

7 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

NOT EXACTLY. Just found this residing in processes, and I cant kill it. Sure as hell looks like its running even though it says its suspended. 44k in memory, and Im willing to bet thats my issue.

before reloading windows try this (CMD as admin)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2012-r2-and-2012/cc730909(v=ws.11)

tasklist /v /fi "STATUS eq running" > c:\tasklist.txt

this will export your running tasks. then if you wish, post them here and it can be reviewed.

here is mine.

tasklist.txt

do this after restarting PC and running and exiting DCS.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

12 hours ago, Insonia said:

The command return "success". dcs.exe is finally killed. you just simply miss or didn't know how to find the the dcs.exe in the taksmgr.  that's entirely my point.

Keep use that command see if it returns "ERROR:the process "dcs.exe" not found". Then restart your SRS/wingwin etc.. software installation.

Yes I found it...Im guessing its intermittent in this shutdown BS.

My wallpaper and skins

4 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Yes I found it...Im guessing its intermittent in this shutdown BS.

interesting. does the winwing software need to be running when DCS is running? it is probably what is holding open DCS. maybe winwing has a fix. there is a message on the winwing screen inferring the possibility.

image.png

it edits the config.lua to adjust the monitors to the correct position to render the MFDs. It doesnt keep the files open AFAIK, but I do have to keep it open if I want to adjust the light level in cockpit. I do close this app when Im done with it. I can test more on this, but Im about 60% sure its not the issue.

My wallpaper and skins

46 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

it edits the config.lua to adjust the monitors to the correct position to render the MFDs. It doesnt keep the files open AFAIK, but I do have to keep it open if I want to adjust the light level in cockpit. I do close this app when Im done with it. I can test more on this, but Im about 60% sure its not the issue.

its a little more involved but you could use FILEMON or something similar to see what files are locked. i would think once the winwing edits the lua it would work to close it then start DCS. but i do not have anything winwing so i could be just stabbing in the dark.

40 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

its a little more involved but you could use FILEMON or something similar to see what files are locked. i would think once the winwing edits the lua it would work to close it then start DCS. but i do not have anything winwing so i could be just stabbing in the dark.

Im still new to winwing stuff too. If I use the monitors, I have to select which aircraft to use in SimApp so the monitors are positioned correctly. I have to keep it running to sync the brightness dials to DCS specifically to dim or brighten the backlights on the MIP. I dont have to keep it running specifically. Ill test that portion later, theres still tons of modules I have to set up. Ill get to that later this afternoon.

My wallpaper and skins

53 minutes ago, silverdevil said:

i would think once the winwing edits the lua it would work to close it then start DCS. but i do not have anything winwing so i could be just stabbing in the dark.

No, if you want any of the lights to sync (i.e. the A-A, A-G mode lights in the F-18) you need to leave SimAppPro running.