F-14D possibly?

sBinnala64

On 2/28/2024 at 12:59 PM, Dannyvandelft said:

I didn't say nothing, I said "certain features" I asked about. Wing vapor, yes that's coming. Circuit breakers aren't, because the Tomcat isn't modeled like that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

As long as rooster knows which one to close to magically turn everything on in aligned modes, we should be fine.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

There are certain features on the D that won't be released. The IRST is the main one.

That said, from what I've read (this was after I retired and I've got no access, so this is purely "I've read it on the Internet" - so it's by no means certain information - maybe its not even probable. Anyway I take no responsibility, this is just a rumour) not all Ds flew with a working IRST. I belive they took it away on some later models because it wasn't that useful in AG and there where no peer AA threat. (if there had been, like there is today, the USN would never had retired the Tomcat until it had a replacement). 

I know for a fact that there are functions in the A/B that's not modelled or even alluded to in the game. Since they would have added to the playability and lethality of the Tomcat I will assume it's either because they are still classified or they haven't managed recreate it in game. 

Ditching the IRST would simplify both the looks (can use present model) and also the flight model work. If the rumour about Ds without IRST is correct they have a historically plausible explanation for ditching it. 

I think they know that a B+ is a niche product, while the D would make record sales. 

I for one certainly hope they make it, or a full fidelity 15C.

2 hours ago, Rhrich said:

There are certain features on the D that won't be released. The IRST is the main one.

That said, from what I've read (this was after I retired and I've got no access, so this is purely "I've read it on the Internet" - so it's by no means certain information - maybe its not even probable. Anyway I take no responsibility, this is just a rumour) not all Ds flew with a working IRST. I belive they took it away on some later models because it wasn't that useful in AG and there where no peer AA threat. (if there had been, like there is today, the USN would never had retired the Tomcat until it had a replacement). 

I know for a fact that there are functions in the A/B that's not modelled or even alluded to in the game. Since they would have added to the playability and lethality of the Tomcat I will assume it's either because they are still classified or they haven't managed recreate it in game. 

Ditching the IRST would simplify both the looks (can use present model) and also the flight model work. If the rumour about Ds without IRST is correct they have a historically plausible explanation for ditching it. 

I think they know that a B+ is a niche product, while the D would make record sales. 

I for one certainly hope they make it, or a full fidelity 15C.

The IRST Sensors onthe Early As were often broken and failed BIT, they were before the TCS, often disconnected or blanked off with a cover prior to the TCS taking it's spot on the nose pod.

Though the 2nd Gen IRST on the Ds was significantly more reliable, they we also often disabled by ground crew at the request of the pilots once they broke.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

Thanks!

Skipping IRST should make the D more feasible, especially with regards to weapons deployment. (Though it would be totally badass.) hopefully they find a way. 

10 hours ago, Kageseigi said:

Didn't the IRST allow F-14's to detect and track F-22's at one time? Or is that myth/hush-hush?

There's an image of one tracking a B-2 I believe, not sure about F-22 but I'd imagine it could do that as well. Phoenix could also be fired / used along with the IRST TWS.

• Thanks 1

There was a statement of "We saw everything in the sky, no matter what it was made of" that very much indicates seeing stealth aircraft.  Given that it could see a tanker with trailing fighters at longer range than the APG-71 could...

• Thanks 1

On 3/10/2024 at 4:45 AM, Rhrich said:

if there had been, like there is today,

What peer AA threat is there today? We’re still just bombing randos in the dessert Shooting RC planes at us.

I'd rather have a B/U to fly, and maybe a D as an AI just to round out flight deck appearances.

Edited by SkateZilla

• 2 months later...

This is a killing machine. ı hope someday we’ll get this variant 

• Like 2

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15EF-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

For what its worth, I would be willing to shell out an extra $10.99 to get an F-14B Upgrade with the new Sparrowhawk HUD as an add-on module.  I know that the work to make it isn't exactly free and I don't think they ever discussed bringing it into DCS to begin with.

@IronMike If you guys make a Sparrowhawk HUD in an F-14B happen, I'll pony up that $10.99 immediately.   Just saying. 

Even if you've got to fudge some things.

As far as the D model goes, yhea, sure, I'd love to have one.  IMHO due to all of the rework you're really talking about a totally new separate module at that point.  The most exciting part about the 14D to me is the new cockpit.  If there was such a thing as a 14B with the MFDs up front I would be all over that thing and asking that they make it.

(Busy overclocking the last drops out of his ancient CPU)

Do you (all of you) have a view on whether the radar in the -D being based on the F-15E radar would affect the chances of sufficient information being made available for HB to model the -D?

As much as I would love a -D, the B/U would be well worth paying for too. While learning BFM it would be great to be able to check if I'm actually max-performing in a turn while staying near corner without having to lower my eyes - although I do concede that one ultimately has to learn not to 'stare through the HUD' to be able to BFM properly, as pointed out in a previous post. The other improvements that come with the B/U would be fantastic too, but the HUD has been the one where I've often thought "if only..."

Edited by Horns
Formatting

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

22 minutes ago, Horns said:

Do you (all of you) have a view on whether the radar in the -D being based on the F-15E radar would affect the chances of sufficient information being made available for HB to model the -D?

As much as I would love a -D, the B/U would be well worth paying for too. While learning BFM it would be great to be able to check if I'm actually max-performing in a turn while staying near corner without having to lower my eyes - although I do concede that one ultimately has to learn not to 'stare through the HUD' to be able to BFM properly, as pointed out in a previous post. The other improvements that come with the B/U would be fantastic too, but the HUD has been the one where I've often thought "if only..."

No idea, but I would absolutely pay for a B/U with the HUD as an add-on module.

I hope Heatblur is listening. 

2 hours ago, Horns said:

Problem is that the fact that the APG-70 and -71 shares technology doesn't mean that the -71 is based on -70. It's quite a different radar in most aspects so having the info on the -70 from the F-15E doesn't really help.

47 minutes ago, Naquaii said:

Problem is that the fact that the APG-70 and -71 shares technology doesn't mean that the -71 is based on -70. It's quite a different radar in most aspects so having the info on the -70 from the F-15E doesn't really help.

I understand, I worded myself really badly, so please let me try again:

Would the -71 being based on - or maybe more correctly, sharing technology with - the -70 mean that authorities are less inclined to allow access to sufficient information to model the -71, lest that somehow compromise the -70?

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

46 minutes ago, Horns said:

I understand, I worded myself really badly, so please let me try again:

Would the -71 being based on - or maybe more correctly, sharing technology with - the -70 mean that authorities are less inclined to allow access to sufficient information to model the -71, lest that somehow compromise the -70?

Don't think this matters tbh. They are too dissimilar for it to matter.

• Thanks 1

There's no way the US will release information on the Tomcat D.
Two reasons, firstly, the Tomcat D - even without AMRAAM - was in 2006, the second most potent strike fighter in the world, second only to the Raptor. If by some miracle Iran manages to give their ancient fleet even some of the capacity of the D they would have one of the most potent fighters outside NATO and other US-allies. The stand off capacity is in it self enough to seriously affect any proposed strike on Irans nuclear sites. The US went great lenghts to make sure no parts or tech from the Turkey ended up in Iran. They're not going to jeopardise this.

The second reason is more conspiratorial and just my speculation and not as solid as the first reason:
The D is a "alternative path" to the US current obsession with stealth. The IRST is by it's very nature unaffected by stealth, and the Phoenix could be guided by IRST as a TWS without even using radar. 

Now there is away around this:
The IRST was decommissioned on many planes towards the end of the Ds life. Heatblur could make something like that, and then guess on the radar. And (I'll assume) also guess - or forget - the new workload sharing between pilot and rio.
It would have been a best seller, but my guess is they won't. 

So, the only way you can get a D, is to help the Iranian democracy movement. A good and worthy cause, so good luck to you if you go down that path.
It will probably happen before the Tomcat-adjustments to the Supercarrier.

Anyway, the reasonable path for Heatblur as far as I can gather is to skip any upgrades like new Jester or other stuff from the F-4. 
And instead introduce a late B(U) with all the bells and whistles and then import all they have learnt building the F-4, and combine them with a Jester that can actually use the radar as a rio would - instead of as a control interface for you.

Edited by Werlin12

5 hours ago, Naquaii said:

Don't think this matters tbh. They are too dissimilar for it to matter.

Sooooooo.....

How about an F-14B/Upgrade module with the HUD then?

I would gladly open my wallet and pay for that since it was outside the original model scope.  Sell it as an add-on requiring F-14A/B or a stand alone.

1 minute ago, PhantomHans said:

Sooooooo.....

How about an F-14B/Upgrade module with the HUD then?

I would gladly open my wallet and pay for that since it was outside the original model scope.  Sell it as an add-on requiring F-14A/B or a stand alone.

Heatblur has stated that they're planning something like that. 
The avoinics could probably be a massive draw as well. Not sure about this, but somewhere in the back of my mind I think the B(U) got at least some of the new tech the D had? If that is so they will be easier to fly.