my noob f16 problem, datalink and landing

Go to solution Solved by Raptor9,

First issue is how do I turn on my datalink when I restart my F16, if I landing with damaged viper, after I repair and start my f16, the datalink is not working, I check my IFF DL and MIDS LVT is on, and try the DLNK on LIST but it still not showing any data on my HSD

second one is sometime I land my F16 when it's my first land in the server, no matter how perfect I land, I still can get repair message from the ground crew, but after that, it seems to back to normal

do I missed something? because it is kinda annoying to me, hope someone can help me 🙂

Edited by Suffer_Player

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Suffer_Player:

First issue is how do I turn on my datalink when I restart my F16, if I landing with damaged viper, after I repair and start my f16, the datalink is not working, I check my IFF DL and MIDS LVT is on, and try the DLNK on LIST but it still not showing any data on my HSD

second one is sometime I land my F16 when it's my first land in the server, no matter how perfect I land, I still can get repair message from the ground crew, but after that, it seems to back to normal

do I missed something? because it is kinda annoying to me, hope someone can help me 🙂

Datalink is bugged for a while now.

Press LIST, ENTER (EDNLK) on ICP. You will see GPS TIME. Switch it to OFF by pressing "1". Wait a second. Switch it to ON again by pressing "1" one more time. 

It should work now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Suffer_Player said:

not sure about the DL. it might be a bug. you can try to post a track in F-16 bugs and ask. you may have difficulty because you are new to forums. i think sometimes new users are restricted.

this may be relevant.

as far as landing the F-16. it is a bit like carrying eggs when you first learning. it took me a lot of practice to make it to full stop without some sort of explosion, fire, roll-over. watch videos and learn ILS. the jet essentially tells you what to do.

AKA_SilverDevil AKA Forums My YouTube

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

1 hour ago, TobiasA said:

Datalink is bugged for a while now.

Press LIST, ENTER (EDNLK) on ICP. You will see GPS TIME. Switch it to OFF by pressing "1". Wait a second. Switch it to ON again by pressing "1" one more time. 

It should work now.

I try that, but it only work when I cold start at the first time, after I takeoff landing and restart, it won't work somehow, I need to respawn in another viper to make sure I have datalink

20240121015413_1.jpg

Edited by Suffer_Player
update image

4 hours ago, Sinclair_76 said:

Iirc for a repair you have to completely shutdown the aircraft. After that you need to do a full  IRS realignment (the 8 minute one). Don't forget to enter the lat as well as the long. Default values are fine.

I make sure my ins is on normal alignment when I start my viper, I wait like 10 minute to alignment, but it seems not help for the datalink to show

23 hours ago, silverdevil said:

不確定 DL。這可能是一個錯誤。您可以嘗試在 F-16 錯誤中發佈曲目並詢問。您可能會遇到困難,因為您是論壇的新手。我認為有時新使用者會受到限制。

這可能是相關的。

至於降落 F-16。這有點像你第一次學習時背著雞蛋。我花了很多時間練習才讓它完全停止,沒有某種爆炸、火災、翻滾。觀看視頻並學習 ILS。噴氣式飛機基本上會告訴你該怎麼做。

the problem is when I land first time and doing everything right, 11*AOA 160knt, hold 13*AOA and wait for 100knt to drop my nose, I still need to repair, but the second time I landing with 190knt, drop my nose when I touch down and hold brake all the way, ground crew tell me the viper don't need repair, I even try tail strike in second landing, it still fine, it make me so confused

Edited by Suffer_Player
more detail

1 minute ago, Suffer_Player said:

the problem is when I land first time and doing everything right, 11*AOA 160knt, hold 13*AOA and wait for 100knt to drop my nose, I still need to repair, but the second time I landing with 190knt, drop my nose when I touch down, ground crew tell me the viper don't need repair, I even try tail strike in second landing, it still fine, it make me so confused

its been so long since i have had to repair because of a bad landing so i am not sure. try to do a short mission of a landing straight in and save the track. then share it.

“It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” — Mark Twain

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Suffer_Player:

the problem is when I land first time and doing everything right, 11*AOA 160knt, hold 13*AOA and wait for 100knt to drop my nose, I still need to repair, but the second time I landing with 190knt, drop my nose when I touch down and hold brake all the way, ground crew tell me the viper don't need repair, I even try tail strike in second landing, it still fine, it make me so confused

Do not have the gun cross above 10 degrees on the pitch ladder unless your sink rate is really low. At no point should it ever exceed 13 degrees AOA, especially when carrying HTS, TGP or heavy ordnance on the inner wing hardpoints.

When doing your cold start and waiting for INS alignment, IF YOU are loading heavy weapons or fuel tanks the plane may rock back and forth. This can stop the INS alignment.
Go to List, 6 (time) to see INS progress.  Once it counts up to 1.5 you see RDY to the right and you're good to go.
If the INS is not counting up to 1.5 and beyond, you need turn it counter clockwise 1 click, then clockwise back to start the INS alignment process again (don't forget to verify lat and lon on DED when you do this).

• Like 1

5600x, EVGA 3070 FTW, B550 Tomahawk, M.2 Samsung, 32GB CL16, AIO 240mm
VKB Gladiator Pro, Freetracker IR 3d printed, TM MkII HOTAS circa 1985 w/USB
Asus 27" 2560x1440 60fps (so constrain DCS to 60fps)    F-16, F-18
       2021 = First year on DCS:

On 1/21/2024 at 11:57 PM, silverdevil said:

its been so long since i have had to repair because of a bad landing so i am not sure. try to do a short mission of a landing straight in and save the track. then share it.

this time my first landing is not good, but my second landing is worst, but ground crew said I don't need to repair

f16.trk

On 1/23/2024 at 10:03 AM, ACME_WIdgets said:

When doing your cold start and waiting for INS alignment, IF YOU are loading heavy weapons or fuel tanks the plane may rock back and forth. This can stop the INS alignment.
Go to List, 6 (time) to see INS progress.  Once it counts up to 1.5 you see RDY to the right and you're good to go.
If the INS is not counting up to 1.5 and beyond, you need turn it counter clockwise 1 click, then clockwise back to start the INS alignment process again (don't forget to verify lat and lon on DED when you do this).

I try it again, it still not work, no matter is STOR HDG or NORM, I even try IN FLY ALIGN, I make sure my align in under 10 everytime, but it just not working

• ED Team
  • Solution

After landing and repairing, you must set the MIDS and GPS back to OFF during the shutdown sequence. When starting up again, set the GPS back to on and wait for at least two minutes. Confirm by going to the DED TIME page and check that GPS SYSTEM is displayed.

image.png

Once you see "GPS" displayed here, you can switch the MIDS LVT knob to ON.

• Like 2

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

9 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

After landing and repairing, you must set the MIDS and GPS back to OFF during the shutdown sequence. When starting up again, set the GPS back to on and wait for at least two minutes. Confirm by going to the DED TIME page and check that GPS SYSTEM is displayed.

image.png

Once you see "GPS" displayed here, you can switch the MIDS LVT knob to ON.

still not working, did I missed some button or step?

f16-datalink fail.trk

• ED Team

@Suffer_Player, you did not follow the instructions in my previous post. You set the MIDS LVT knob to ON before the engine was even started and left it ON throughout the entirety of your track.

Again, you must wait until the TIME DED page says "GPS SYSTEM" before setting MIDS LVT knob to the ON position.

Afterburners are for wussies...hang around the battlefield and dodge tracers like a man.
DCS Rotor-Head

vor 19 Stunden schrieb Raptor9:

@Suffer_Player, you did not follow the instructions in my previous post. You set the MIDS LVT knob to ON before the engine was even started and left it ON throughout the entirety of your track.

Again, you must wait until the TIME DED page says "GPS SYSTEM" before setting MIDS LVT knob to the ON position.

Does this apply to normal startup as well?

On 1/28/2024 at 1:55 AM, Raptor9 said:

sry I was misunderstanding, so I have to turn off my MIDS LVT when I turn off engine, when I restart I need to wait the GPS time show GPS, then turn it back on, am I right?

Edited by Suffer_Player
error

• ED Team
50 minutes ago, Suffer_Player said:

when I restart I need to wait the GPS time show GPS, then turn it back on, am I right?

Correct. When the GPS is turned on it takes a couple minutes to get the time and location. Once this is accomplished, then you can turn on the datalink by rotating the MIDS LVT knob to ON.

DCS Rotor-Head

4 hours ago, Suffer_Player said:

Thanks for your guys help me fix my datalink skill issue, but my landing problem still exists, can somebody where my problem is please

hello. i watched your video. i saw a couple problems. your speed was pretty good. your AOA was good. but you did not gently flare just before touchdown. and the nose went down to ground at 145 knots. that is WAY too fast. work on flare technique. your gun pipper should be pointing at 13 degrees on hud until about 100 knots.

• ED Team
8 hours ago, Suffer_Player said:

Thanks for your guys help me fix my datalink skill issue, but my landing problem still exists, can somebody where my problem is please

f16-landing.trk 1.16 MB · 4 downloads

I agree with the above, you didn't look too bad at all you look like you just need some more practice. 

You need to consider also that you set up a mission on your own I assume? Looking at it you have 100% fuel at the start, so you are landing a very heavy aircraft and it shows. I would recommend taking much of that fuel out for your practice mission and trying that. You can land with that much fuel but I don't think it's ideal or realistic 99.9% of the time. 

Also with practice, you will get smoother on the stick, when you flared on the second landing you did strike the tail a number of times, again this might have been harder to control with the amount of weight you were packing. 

There are some great videos out there for landing the Viper, these may help you with your technique going forward, and again, practice practice. We try and make it as real as we possibly can, which means these things can be challenging, even just landing. 

Thanks!

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

4 hours ago, silverdevil said:

hello. i watched your video. i saw a couple problems. your speed was pretty good. your AOA was good. but you did not gently flare just before touchdown. and the nose went down to ground at 145 knots. that is WAY too fast. work on flare technique. your gun pipper should be pointing at 13 degrees on hud until about 100 knots.

4 minutes ago, NineLine said:

I agree with the above, you didn't look too bad at all you look like you just need some more practice. 

You need to consider also that you set up a mission on your own I assume? Looking at it you have 100% fuel at the start, so you are landing a very heavy aircraft and it shows. I would recommend taking much of that fuel out for your practice mission and trying that. You can land with that much fuel but I don't think it's ideal or realistic 99.9% of the time. 

Also with practice, you will get smoother on the stick, when you flared on the second landing you did strike the tail a number of times, again this might have been harder to control with the amount of weight you were packing. 

There are some great videos out there for landing the Viper, these may help you with your technique going forward, and again, practice practice. We try and make it as real as we possibly can, which means these things can be challenging, even just landing. 

Thanks!

but my problem is no metter how careful I land in my second landing, I don't need to repair it, the tail strike is me try to do some damge it prove the point, I noticed my AOA is not good when I touch down, my question is why I do the same thing in first second landing, one have to repair but  another one don't? it make me so confused

8 hours ago, NineLine said:

So you are saying you damaged the aircraft on the first landing but are unable to on the second no matter how you land?

I do not see damage on the 1st landing.

but ground crew can repair my f16 in my first landing, isn't that mean my jet was damge?