F-15E Ripped Wing Off. Not Sure Why.

duff4

New to DCS and the F-15E is my first purchased module.

I was doing a 1v1 BVR mission against AI when it happened. I launched an AMRAAM at about 32k feet then dove pretty quickly in case he has shot one as well. I believe I was diving at about a 40 degree angle, going about 700knots when the tip of my left wing and all of the ordinance on both that wing and CFT ripped off. The right wing and its ordinance were completely fine. I assumed I pulled too many G's but I rewatched the track and it said I was only pulling 1.5G at the time it happened  https://routerlogin.uno/.

Can anyone give some insight as to what might have happened?

Edited by duff4

This is the F-5E forum... You  need the 15E forum here https://forum.dcs.world/forum/216-f-15e/ and it would help if you attached a track file... That said it might be the track file didnt record correctly 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Am 28.1.2024 um 08:01 schrieb duff4:

New to DCS and the F-15E is my first purchased module.

I was doing a 1v1 BVR mission against AI when it happened. I launched an AMRAAM at about 32k feet then dove pretty quickly in case he has shot one as well. I believe I was diving at about a 40 degree angle, going about 700knots when the tip of my left wing and all of the ordinance on both that wing and CFT ripped off. The right wing and its ordinance were completely fine. I assumed I pulled too many G's but I rewatched the track and it said I was only pulling 1.5G at the time it happened.

Can anyone give some insight as to what might have happened?

If you fly too fast for the altitude you are at , you can easily rip off a wing in the F-15E. If you go below 24k feet you need to have lower speed than about mach 1,5. If you fly at mach 2,2 at 45k feet you can also quickly loose a wing. The F-15E with the CFTs is not made for that. 

You can also rip a wing off if you pull too many G's, even more easliy when you are fast.

Speed limit is 700 knots. In game you can push a little more but your wings are going to explode, of course IRL is not like the aircraft will dismantle at 701

Other aircraft have similar speed limits like the 800 in the F-16C although you don't explode in game and you can push whatever you want.

You can fly up to 830-840kts IAS and mach 2.3(whichever happens first) with nothing happening. This is from many hours and many wingtips ripped off. I've never had any ordnance rip off due to overspeed or over-g though.
If this happened at 700kts 1,5Gs than there must have been a bug or maybe previous battle damage? Are you sure you didn't catch a stray missile?

1 hour ago, Tenkom said:

You can fly up to 830-840kts IAS and mach 2.3(whichever happens first) with nothing happening. This is from many hours and many wingtips ripped off. I've never had any ordnance rip off due to overspeed or over-g though.
If this happened at 700kts 1,5Gs than there must have been a bug or maybe previous battle damage? Are you sure you didn't catch a stray missile?

700/2.0 are the actual numbers. The way it fails is DCS not well explained anywhere, but my understanding is that any speed about the actual limit will induce a risk of failure. With higher speeds meaning more risk.

So yes you can reach 800 or more knots, but you can't sustain more than 700 without there being a chance the wings will break.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

4 minutes ago, Swift. said:

700/2.0 are the actual numbers. The way it fails is DCS not well explained anywhere, but my understanding is that any speed about the actual limit will induce a risk of failure. With higher speeds meaning more risk.

So yes you can reach 800 or more knots, but you can't sustain more than 700 without there being a chance the wings will break.

in real life it is, but more like a CFT structural design limit that the material/airframe mounts/aerodynamic and the regulation just won't allow you to overspeed or you are at risk.

without CFT the 15e can go up to around M2.4 (short time) without any problems to the wings

15 minutes ago, Swift. said:

Still not a detailed explanation, but a start. 

2 hours ago, razo+r said:

Still not a detailed explanation, but a start. 

Good info, thanks for that. So its as I said, 800KCAS is definitely not possible.

2 hours ago, zlm63682 said:

in real life it is, but more like a CFT structural design limit that the material/airframe mounts/aerodynamic and the regulation just won't allow you to overspeed or you are at risk.

without CFT the 15e can go up to around M2.4 (short time) without any problems to the wings

You are talking about F-15E without CFT, but we can't do that in DCS so I'm a little lost what your point is.

The configuration we have in DCS: with CFT and 229 engines, limits at 700KCAS/M2.0. Now as we've seen the coded failure numbers are 15% above that, but the limits remain.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

This is a quote from Notso from the Razbam F-15E Q/A

27. Q: My wings keep ripping off. What am I doing wrong? And is this normal for the real jet.
A: First of all, the wings ripping off in game is a way to enforce the “limits” of the jet so players can’t abuse it and get additional performance from it that is not at all realistic. In real life, the wingtips would NOT break off and catch on fire. This was a design decision to do this in game to “punish” players who were abusing the limits. Since the Damage model is still WIP and is not nuanced yet – this was the only way to show that you’ve exceeded a jet limit.

28. Q: So what ARE the aircraft limits? A: There are many, but here are the basic ones that will get you into trouble if you exceed them:

• G limits
o -3 to +9 Gs
o Max of 6-9 sec of negative G flight or flameout is likely

• Airspeed Limits
o Max Airspeed W/ CFTs - 700 KCAS / M2.0
o Max Airspeed w/o CFTs - 800 KCAS / M2.5
o Max Gear Speed – 300 KCAS (A/A config and no LANTIRN Pods) / 250 KCAS all others
o Max Flap Speed – 250 KCAS

•LANTIRN Pod Limits – pods should be turned off if:
o > 40,000 ft
o > 1.2M / 650 KCA

Notsos_Frequently_Asked_Questions_Version_5.pdf

Edited by Revor